funny story....

Rae Smiles
on 12/5/05 1:03 am - Mount Airy, MD
My mother-in-law has a weird idea of healthy weight, overweight, etc....anyway, she has been having some issues with my weightloss...but I say, too bad so sad...the family has always said that her 'skinny" body is her claim to fame.... But as background....she does not know that I had WLS. She never says anything directly to me about my weight, rather she says things to all the relatives...Rebecca has lost so much weight, I don't know what Rebecca is doing, but I hope she keeps it up...blah, blah, blah...you get the idea.... By-the-way, I really do love her...except for her weirdness about weight issues, she really is a nice person.... Anyway, on Saturday I took her shopping...we were Christmas shopping and shopping for ourselves... In Anne Taylor she saw a pair of trousers that she liked. I pointed out that THOSE trousers would not fit her because they were not petite...she is barely 5'2...so as we walked to the back of the store, I picked up several sized 6 trousers for me (not petite)...as we arrived in the petite area, I found the trousers she had been liked...as I handed them to her, she noticed the size 6's over my arm...she quickly pointed out that she wouldn't try those on because she wears an 8....It gave me great pleasure to say, with a straight face, those are mine...she looked at me, got quiet for a few seconds then said, oh those are fat size 6, I wear petites.... Usually I have the power to ignore her little comments...this time, I smiled and slowly explained that petites is just that...for women who are shorter, shorter waisted, shorter arms, etc...I am not sure she believed me. When I told my husband this story, he got angry....he keeps telling me that I need to stop losing weight...anyway, I finally got him to see the humor...his mother is 85 yrs old...why get upset with her...she isn't going to change... But just so you hear it from ME first, I wear a FAT size 6!!!! LOL Best to everyone, RAE
DianneW
on 12/5/05 4:47 am - Louisville, KY
That is unbelievable. I can't believe you weren't furious. I feel like I'm anourexic and I wear a size 6. They are loose in the butt and thighs, but I can't button a 4 because of my stomach skin. 6 is TINY!! She's just jealous! Dianne
Rae Smiles
on 12/5/05 10:59 am - Mount Airy, MD
Dianne, you and my husband have the same theory...she is jealous...but I refuse to react to her absurd ideas...so I stayed calm...I have a very weird sense of humor and I had the urge to bend over, hold my stomach and laugh so hard...she probably wouldn't have gotten the joke....LOL BTW, everytime I see your picture, I have the urge to tell you have beautiful you are.... RAE
DianneW
on 12/5/05 11:17 pm - Louisville, KY
Thanks Rae, thats sweet. Dianne
lacmike
on 12/5/05 12:11 pm - York, PA
Rae, I can totally understand, my daughter keeps telling me that she is buying size 10's so I can share them with her, but I actually wear a 4's and 6's. I see my daughter gaining weight and I try not to hurt her but she does not understand I never want her to get to the point I did. I do not want to upset her so I try not to let her know my pant size. My family is having fits about how thin I am even though I am very happy, I would be happier 10 lbs thinner but I do not think that will happen until this summer. Just take the comments with a grain of salt and consider the source because I am sure you look fabu. Lori 258/138
Rae Smiles
on 12/5/05 8:44 pm - Mount Airy, MD
Hi Lori, you have mentioned having problems with your daughter before...I am sorry that time has not helped heal her hurt... Isn't amazing...the most negative chatter comes from family, at least for me...Christmas is going to be a real "treat"...I will be seeing some family that I haven't seen since labor day....when they told me that I was too thin, blah blah blah....I am thinner and am now completely healed from my TT. I am 5'7, very heavy boned and weigh 158 lbs....I think I look just right... So, I am coming up with a game plan...I am going to treat this the same way I treated "concerned" family regarding WLS....I am going to come up with a sentence...something like...I appreciate your concern, my doctor and I are very comfortable with my weight.... Prior to WLS, I used a similar line....I appreciate your concern, I am very comfortable with my decision... So, I will keep repeating that line over and over so it rolls off my tongue... I am sure lots of folks on Obes. help will experience some "great" stories over the holidays. Lori, best wishes to you...I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you dealing with your daugher on a day-to-day basis....hopefully she will either get over it or move out and move on with her life...she is late teens, right? take care of you!! RAE
Pegtrala
on 12/5/05 11:52 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi RAE. I just had to chuckle when I read your story. You're right to keep you sense of humor. Aren't people funny? It really would do no good to get angry with your MIL. You did the right thing. Humor is a mighty weapon! Love ya! Peg
Rachelq
on 12/6/05 5:13 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
This is a great story and I love your attitude about it. I firmly believe that someone 85 has the right to have any impression of life and say it out loud! Ta, Rachel PS...I'm sure you are so ashamed to be in a FAT size 6
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views