Hello???? Happy Thanksgiving

Rachelq
on 11/23/05 2:44 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Just in case any of my April buddies are out and about, thought I'd wish ya'll a great day tomorrow! And if ya wanna...have a great day today too...and while your at it, make friday a good one, etc... I have to admit. I'm a little worried about my eating lately. I'm doing a lot of late night eating...ughhh. So thanksgiving has me a bit concerned. Grazing will be tough to avoid and left overs...uggghhh again. So what is your strategic plan for success over the holidays? Take care, Rachel
Pegtrala
on 11/23/05 11:15 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Rachel. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. My DH and I are doing something completely different for Thanksgiving. We have never spent one with just the two of us, so we are packing a lunch and heading to the coast for the day! Our 2 sons are grown and are spending Thanksgiving with the other side of the family. We were invited to both, but we really want to spent it in a quiet way this year. Our anniversary is the following day. Our older grandson was born on our 30th wedding anniversary, so we are going to his 8th birthday party Friday afternoon. So that's partly why my DH and I want some time together on Thanksgiving. I am really struggling too with the munchies, Rachel. I am so grateful that I am able to eat fairly normally after this second surgery. I just need to stop grazing too in the evenings because I still have a ways to go before I have all the weight off I want. I am feeling much better physically, so when I finish with the physical therapy on my shoulders, I hope to be able to get back to working out at Curves and swimming. That probably won't happen until sometime after the first of the year, though. I hope we can keep in touch, Rachel. How is the trainer thing going? Wish you were my trainer! God bless. Peg
Rachelq
on 11/25/05 11:50 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Peg, Happy Thanksgiving and belated happy anniversary. Hope all went well. I did ok...but the morning after, I had sugar free pie for breakfast...Oh well, every moment is another opportunity to do better. I love being a trainer! It really helps me keep my weight under control and I love the ladies I workout with. God bless, Rachel
lacmike
on 11/24/05 12:37 am - York, PA
I am not really adventuresome and somewhat of a sneaky eater, so really the only things I will eat are turkey, mashed potatoes, and vegitables. Since it is only me and my daughter, I bought a 1.6 lbs turkey breast, that way there will not be a lot of left overs for me to get tempted later on. I also only bought mini pies, the kind that look like one serving and we will share that. I of course will eat off my baby plate. I thinks this works out well and then we do not get tired of Turkey by Christmas. Blessing and thanks to you all for going through this journey with me. Lori
DianneW
on 11/24/05 7:03 am - Louisville, KY
Happy Thanksgiving. I went to my sisters, she gave me some left over turkey, which is great. Hope you all had a wonderful day. Dianne
Rachelq
on 11/25/05 11:52 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Lori, So you are still eating off of a small plate? Perhaps I need to go back to that. I also need to get back to serving ALL food on a plate. I'm grabbing way to much as I pass through the kitchen. Thanks for the reminder! Take care, Rachel
patty cassady
on 11/24/05 8:29 am - Lake Oswego, OR
Hi Rachel! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. We've got a couple more hours before our bird comes out of the oven, but the smell sure is getting to us all! So far there is no food category that makes me dump (and believe me I have checked them all!). I go between wishing I dumped to help me keep from eating things - to being happy that I can eat pretty normally. In the long run I suspect that there are more powerful strategies for losing and keeping the weight off than the fear of dumping. Last Thanksgiving I was seven months out (you were too) and had lost a whole bunch of weight. I was feeling incredibily happy and my health had improved dramatically. I remember Thanksgiving being especially wonderful. We went to the dog park and took a long walk (not something I would have done the year before) and I was able to eat everything on the menu (the traditional turkey with all the trimmings) including a small slice of pie (the real deal). It was small servings with no seconds. What I have found true for me is that eating good or bad is no longer an all or nothing thing. I feel I can allow myself to eat what I want on holidays or special events, because can and should be days, and weeks and months of good behavior to balance it out. I used to see eating "freely" on Thanksgiving (or any old weekend) as license to eat bad until New Years day (or the next Monday). Now I expect myself to get right back on track. I also tell myself that I can eat the holiday meal so long as I drink all of my water, exercise and take my supplements that day. By not letting myself go to hell in a handbasket so to speak, it seems to keep me closer to my committment to good health. I am less concerned with enjoying the food at a special event than what I do with MOST of my days. I too have encountered more of a struggle further out with grazing and eating a bite here and a bit there. I know they add up! I know I eating emotionally. I have tried to be really aggressive about managing my stress and anxiety. Once the exhilaration of the rapid weight loss and all of the great things that come with that slows down, all of that every day stuff (money stresses, relatives, your kids struggles, etc.) is still there in your life and can bring those emotions to a place where they effect how you are eating. None of us really believed that losing all of the weight would solve all of our problems, but for a while it sure makes them be in the background. When I noticed myself revisiting some of my old eating patterns (I made popcorn late at night - for the first time since surgery) I reminded myself of some of the changes in the area of taking care of myself I had adapted since my surgery and gave myself a big dose of them. I got a manicure, I did a lot of talking to my husband about things going on in our life, saw my shrink (who adjusted my wellburtin dose), did some major reorganizing of my kitchen, took some long walks, etc. It became so much easier to not snack and eat "comfort" foods when I relieved some of what I must have been feeling, but wasn't aware I was feeling. I'm a work in progress and am plenty worried about gaining weight, but so far so good. Have a great holiday with your family. Patty (down 170 since surgery)
Rachelq
on 11/26/05 1:26 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Wow Patty, Thanks for the thoughful response. I work in progress indeed! Thanks for the reminder! Take care, Rachel
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views