Update

Larakatya
on 11/2/05 2:02 am - Twin Cities, MN
Hi gang, Recovery from spine surgery is going well. I am striving to get weaned off of the fun meds - which I am other than sleepytime. I'm starting to get out more often, but still require a lot of resting time after any form of activity. I've dropped 10lbs and am down to 186. I am not eating much, and I'm positive I've been losing my hard won running muscles (my legs look so depressingly unripped now). So, how's this for a change of pace - I'm upset that I'm losing. I really miss running. I get to start taking walks today. School is on hold until next semester. No way to make it back in a healthful way. But, I'm keeping a positive attitude for next semester. Mostly I'm trying to learn how to cope with knowing that my back condition is permanent - in the sense that I have a tendancy to have disc problems more frequently than others. I can't say enough how thankful I am I had my WLS - because this back problem really is the one that debilitated my mom and lead to a huge amount of the neurological problems that helped her become immobile - which let her life-long eating disorder do its magic to help her become SMO. . .which started the catastrophy of diabetes-heart disease-congestive heart failure-etc. that is her current body. I'm trying really hard to forgive her. It wasn't enough I got her Eating Disorder and asthma, now I have her horrible back too. . . It makes getting calls from the nursing home like I got on Halloween telling me that she ate candy and had a 490 blood sugar so they're giving her additional insulin, MUCH more annoying. For the record unlike my diabetic mother- I didn't eat any candy this halloween. Not one damn piece. Just my lovely SF candies - and I didn't really have any of those as "special". I will cop to baking a SF pumpkin pie, with homemade whipped creme and a SF Apple Pie this week. Mostly that's just trying to make myself interested in food - which I'm just plain not. I had a close run-in with my food plan this week. My primary rule is: Thou shalt not have refined sugar. My local Whole Foods store has a new cookie that has in HUGE letters across the front of the package that says 'NO REFINED SUGAR!" . . .(it's sweetend with juice (organic cane, and apple juice). The sugar content was within my allowed volume - but I didn't eat it. Thought about it - checked in with 2 people to see if it was a good idea. . .even got permission from one, sniffed the cookie, then decided that it just wasn't worth it (had a friend eat a bite of it - she said it really wasn't worth it.) Apparently I'm verbose this morning. Hugs to all, ~Lara Healing from spinal surgery
DianneW
on 11/2/05 2:30 am - Louisville, KY
I'm glad you are doing well, I know what you mean about not wanting to loose anymore. Hang in there with your recovery! Dianne
Rachelq
on 11/2/05 9:00 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Lara, Glad to hear you are one the mend. I know what you mean about precious muscle. I went on a cruise and was almost paranoid about messing up my running routine. (did 2 miles onthe treadmill every other in the cruise gym though). Sorry to hear the back is going to give you trouble. Way to look on the bright side with your wls success. Candy...I ate FOUR Peanut butter cups before I even know what came over me. The candy is out of the house now. Keep feeling better, Rach
Pegtrala
on 11/2/05 12:20 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Lara. I'm so glad you posted. I like to keep track of you and some of the others because you are such an inspiration to me. I never thought I'd tell someone that I am sorry they are losing, but I am. I hope you get back to feeling like your old/new self soon. I must admit that I have been having a bit of a "pity party." I am finally starting to feel up to doing more since my second surgery August 12th, but I have a bum shoulder that has been driving me crazy for over 6 months! I went with my DH to his PCP today. He now is my PCP. Anyway, he prescribed some physical therapy for me. Yay! He asked what I have been doing for exercise, and I told him that about all I have been able to do is walk, but that I want to get back to swimming and hopefully Curves. Most of all, I want to be able to sleep in a normal bed again with my DH. Wish me luck! Anyway, back to you. I am really proud of the way you are taking good care of your body, Lara. You are a strong woman, and I know you will bounce back from this. Do keep us posted. Peg
Larakatya
on 11/2/05 10:28 pm - Twin Cities, MN
**hugs** The healing process is progressing. I'm feeling less and less like the least sexy person on the planet. Thanks for the positive energy you're sending. I'm sending some back for you too. ~Lara
ruthdebra
on 11/3/05 2:09 pm - Palm Springs, CA
Hi Lara - and you are far from the least sexy person on the planet even if you feel you are. Glad to hear that you're healing well but it's very major for you to have to cope with permanent injury. You're so lucky that you had wls or things would be much worse. This way you won't turn into your mother. Isn't that such a common fear? You did a great job about the cookie. I'm sure you know you could have eaten it with no harm done but I'm the same way - it's just not worth it. To me, it's a huge adjustment not wanting to lose any more weight and a hard one to get your head around. Your interest in food will come back but you may not be interested in pies again. That's ok. Not much protein there anyway. I wish sometimes that we could change our heredity but that's not going to happen. Take care, Ruth
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/05 9:49 am - Pembroke, MA
(((Lara))) Glad to hear you're feeling better. Beth
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out