PCOS? OR just destined to remain fat?

Dedicated
on 10/14/05 12:23 pm - Eleva, WI
Ok. I have been stuck at the mid 190's since January of '05. I still have 50+ lbs to lose. I have PCOS. My symptoms are getting worse and not better, many others have said theirs got better. Advice??? Should I contact my surgeon, obgyn or gp about trying metphormin or glucophage????? I'm so upset.
DianneW
on 10/15/05 2:22 am - Louisville, KY
Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, hang in there! I will keep you in my thoughts dianne
Dawn C.
on 10/16/05 8:08 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I also have PCOS. I am not sure what symptoms you have that are worse. I know all my bloodwork (cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.) are better, my skin doesn't break out nearly as much. I do still get bad headaches with PMS. Starting at the neck and hurts your whole head. I am on the nuvaring so I can't tell you about menstrual cycle problem. I to however have been stuck for months. I got down to 186 then popped back up to 191. I can attribute some to muscle gain and some to not eating well. I am working really hard and lowering my carb intake. I think this is something I will have to deal with always. The first 6 months after surgery I dropped weight really fast and since about the 8th month it has been a struggle. At my 1 yr check up my dr. said that I was one of her most successful PCOS patients. That our bodies just seem to want to hold on to the weight. Not what I wanted to hear. I have not had any other bloodwork to check for insulin resistance since the surgery. I am considering asking my PCP to do so to see if anything has changed. I was on 1000 mg of glucophage prior to surgery and it did make a difference with craving carbs. So I guess I can just tell you that I am right there with you and maybe you should check with you pcp or whoever helped you with the PCOS prior to surgery. Let me know if you get any answers. Hang in there! Dawn 287/191/165
aimeexx
on 10/18/05 4:29 am - Beaumont, CA
Hi, I have (had?) PCOS too. I had years of infertility treatments (while taking glucophage), followed by a successful pregnancy due to in vitro, then had my son at 24 weeks 5 days gestation. (Check out my webpage at www.geocities.com/mrsacorcoran for pictures.) I had my surgery at 278.5. I am now down to 137 and still seem to be losing. I quit taking glucophage the day before my surgery, and apparently no longer need it. I don't know if I had PCOS because I was heavy, or if the PCOS made me heavy. The infertility drugs didn't help!!! I started out my "journey" with infertility at 234 lbs. I had my son at around 240 lbs. I don't know about your particular case, but I can certainly relate to the agony of PCOS. DEFINITELY get your doctor to put you on glucophage!!! It made a HUGE difference with me, my eating, etc. What is your blood sugar like? Do/ did you have infertility? If you want to email me directly, write to me at [email protected] Hope I helped! Aimee Corcoran
Dedicated
on 10/19/05 11:16 am - Eleva, WI
Don't know if I had/have infertility issues. My PCO**** really hard right after the birth of my son, he's 12 yrs old now. My blood sugar can drop like a ton of bricks so I have to really watch the carbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views