Running - Lara?

janiej
on 9/20/05 6:05 am - Independence, IA
Can anyone give me good advice on starting a running program? I've been doing a lot at the gym, but really want to run a 5K with a friend next spring. Right now I'm doing about 4 miles in 57 minutes. Yesterday I jogged .3; walked .1; jogged .2; walked, etc. I can't seem to do more at one time. I've also been putting in a little time on the bike. I'd like to get some muscles going also and we have great stuff at the gym. Any suggestions anyone? Lara? Janie 272/142 (at goal)
Dedicated
on 9/21/05 6:47 am - Eleva, WI
If you belong to a gym, is there a pers.trn to talk to? Or ask around if there are any runners, I'm sure you'll find lots of help!
Larakatya
on 9/22/05 5:24 am - Twin Cities, MN
Hi Janie!! I'm dropping by for a visit - haven't been round these parts in quite awhile. If you're already able to run 4 miles - you're already running a mile beyond a 5K! The way I do it is I run 5 minutes, and walk 1 minute. Last Sunday I ran 10 miles like that (practice run for my 10 mile race in a week and a few days). If you find you can't quite run for 5 minutes yet - then run for 1 minute, and walk for a minute - do that for 30 mins every day for a week. Next week - run 2 minutes walk 1 minute for 30 minutes. Keep going every wee****il you're up to 5 and ones. Then you can start checking your distance. My guess is that you'll likely be really close to running a 5K by then. You can start kicking it up to 45 minutes a run - at 5 minutes run, one minute walk. You'll be good to go. And if you can't run every day - try getting in at least 4 runs a week. Best suggestion I can give is this: FIND RUNNERS IN YOUR AREA! =) I run with a local running store where they're awesome about helping figure out what shoes are good for your type of stride. Also great for support in learning how to run. Wishing you the best! ~Lara Running first 10 mile race 10/2/05
Pegtrala
on 9/22/05 8:16 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Lara. Did you ever think when you first started this journey that you would be walking 10 miles, let alone running it?? Amazing! What an inspiration you are! Good luck on your run 10/2/05. Peg
Rachelq
on 9/23/05 5:41 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Janie, That's great, at your 4 mile pace (about a 15 minute mile) you can do a 5k (3+ miles) in 40 - 45 minutes. I like Laura's advice to you. Run walking is one of the best ways to increase distance and eventually, if you push yourself you will eliminate the walking altogether and increase speed. Another thing you want to do is just do a...what I like to call "balls out run". Do it for as long as you can (while staying in a healthy heart range for you). this will help you increase speed too. And don't forget to vary your inclines. Out doors runs are never on flat surfaces. But focus on one thing at a time. First distance (which you pretty much have covered) then incline, then speed. Always stretch after your run and wear good fitting shoes. With all that said. Keep a journal on your progress. It will keep you honest and you will be amazed to look back at it a year from now. Rachel PS. when I first started training, my 'balls out run' was at a 3.5 mile pace...not a run at all. Now I can run at 6.0 mile (10 minute mile) pace for one mile and still run another 6+ miles at 5.o mile pace (12 minute mile). You can do it too!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views