Second surgery, and I'm back

Pegtrala
on 9/16/05 11:38 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a long time because I have had lots going on. I needed to write because many of you have touched my life since I had my original subtotal gastrectomy April 27, 2004. I had stomach cancer, and the doctor removed 9/10 of my stomach, my gallbladder, and hooked me up like alot of you with an open RNY. Well, I lost about 60 lbs between the end of April and the middle of September last year. Then I went back in for what I thought would be a "routine" upper endoscopy to check how my pouch was healing. Well, it was starting to produce abnormal cells again, so I started a roller coaster ride of going in every few months for more tests and endoscopies. The ride finally came to an end last month, August 12th, when my surgeon removed the rest of my stomach, my spleen, and a small part of my pancreas. He then fashioned a pouch out of my small intestines and inserted a feeding tube in my gut so that I could get nourishment at night while I sleep. I was hospitalized for 20 days and got to go home August 31st, which was the day after my 56th birthday. I know this may seem like a downer in a lot of ways, but I have a reason for writing. I am feeling better each day, and I am so grateful that I will never have stomach cancer again. The other good news is that I am eating a little bit more each day, so eventually I will no longer need the feeding tube. I will probably lose more weight along the way. I had actually gained about 15 lbs with all the worry before surgery, but have since lost that. I guess the purpose of writing this is to thank all of you for all your pearls of wisdom that I gathered while I was recouping the first time almost a year and a half ago. I didn't have a support group to attend since my condition wasn't "officially" weight related. You were my support group. I learned about the kinds of foods to eat...and those to avoid! You shared your favorite recipes and advice. I also learned about some websites to visit for more help in nutrition. I read your stories and cried when I read some of them because in so many ways, they were my story, except mine had this cancer twist. At 215 lbs, I still have a ways to go until I reach a more normal weight. However, the 60 lbs I lost opened up so many doors for me. I was able to play with my grandchildren and take long walks with my husband. I know I will be able to do this again when I am healthy again. I guess I wanted to thank you and to also give you this advice: Continue to go out and enjoy your lives. Make them as full to overflowing as you can because life, regardless of your size, is very precious. Don't take yourself too seriously! I'll continue to take it one day at a time, and I will make it back to good health, the Lord willing. Thanks again for being there and for letting me ramble on like this. Peg original surgery: 4/27/04 2nd surgery: 8/12/05
Dedicated
on 9/16/05 9:17 pm - Eleva, WI
You are such an inspiration! Sorry you couldn't keep the last of your tummy, but hey, isn't modern medicine a wonder! Your positive attitude will carry you through! We're proud of you!
DianneW
on 9/17/05 6:27 am - Louisville, KY
Peg, It's great to hear from you. I'm glad you are doing ok. You truly are an inspiration! Dianne
Pegtrala
on 9/22/05 7:54 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Dianne. Thanks so much for the note and your kind words. I have been reading about you, and I sure hope you get to feeling better. Talk about an inspiration! You look wonderful! Peg
Pegtrala
on 9/22/05 7:53 pm - Beaverton, OR
Thanks for the note. That's so nice of you to say. And yes, thank God for modern medicine! I hope all is well with you. Peg
ruthdebra
on 9/18/05 2:02 pm - Palm Springs, CA
Hello Peg, And welcome back. You certainly have had one of the most difficult time of all of us and I'm so glad that you are feeling well and no longer will have to worry about stomach cancer. Keep in touch with us. I am so glad that doors are opening for you and that you are able to play with your grandchildren, etc. Thank you for your very good advice. Each day is all that we have. Ruth
Pegtrala
on 9/22/05 7:57 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Ruth. Thanks for your note. You look wonderful! I hope all is well with you. Peg
Rachelq
on 9/22/05 9:56 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Peg, I have always (and continue to) appreciated the positive way you approach life. You are an inspiration to me and a reminder to appreciate every moment of my life. Missed you! Rachel
Pegtrala
on 9/22/05 8:02 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Rachel. I was hoping to hear from you. Talk about an inspiration! That's what you have always been to me! I hope all is well with you. I continue to take it one day at a time and am slowly improving. I must be feeling better because I am starting to get bored! I am now encouraging family and friends to come see me for a short visit. My daily walks are getting a little longer each day too. Another positive sign! Take care, and let me know how you're doing. Peg
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views