Rough day food wise

Larakatya
on 7/28/05 1:05 am - Twin Cities, MN
Yesterday was a rough one food wise. All I can say is thank the gods that I 1. have a really high metabolism (1900 calories) and 2. Ran 3 miles (466 additional calories to get to eat). Bless me board for I have sinned - yesterday is right time for the headtrip that is a PMS-like situation. Yesterday = EAT FEST 2005! OMG, I mean I can't believe how much I ate. I did a quick Fitday on it to check since it felt rather out of control. . .I'm not proud to admit that I managed to wedge in 2701 calories. From Fitday: Calories Eaten Today Total: 2701 source grams cals %total Fat: 149 1338 50% Sat: 44 394 15% Poly: 43 387 14% Mono: 47 421 16% Carbs: 215 796 30% Fiber: 16 0 0% Protein: 134 536 20% Great god. . . At least I ran 3 miles (and was REALLY feeling great about it). The good news is, I knew I was flailing - so at least I had presence of mind about it. The bad news is, I went ballistic on Francesca over a flipping ice cream bar. We're PMSing. . .and I was Sobbing about it. The quote of the evening is as I was sobbing while washing my face before bed is "Those fricken roasted almonds. . .it looked so good I wanted to claw my eyes out". What pissed me off most is not that she ate in front of me - because she should be able to eat whatever she wants. What pissed me off is that a year after fricken surgery, and a loss of over 210 lbs, and a committment to a new healthy life - its still so FRICKING hard. I was sobbing and Francesca held me. She reminded me how far I've come, and when I spoke of giving up she reminded me from whence I came - that eating the crap made me as sick then as it does now - just the killing kind instead of the dirreah kind. Then she snuggled me and held me as we watched fell asleep. I guess what I'm saying is. . .I'm still a food addict, but I'm working on it. And while I ate about 300 calories more than I should have, I didn't throw things totally out the window. I know where my opportunities are, and I'm forgiving myself for being human, and picking up today and moving on. 3 mile run tonight - and I can't wait. Food is planned and should be much more under control (feels totally different already) Water is going in much easier today. Here's to forgiveness and new beginnings, ~Lara
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/05 11:37 am - South of Boston, MA
Lara - Oh man, BTDT. I fight the food demons daily, hourly, minute-by-minute. I am a huge addict. I'm glad it's food as opposed to something else, but it is all-consuming and driving me nuts. If I do not think about eating, I eat myself into a blur of near-dumping and gain weight. If I do think about it, I maintain. If I obsess, I lose! What a drama, right? -Beth http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
Rachelq
on 7/29/05 8:00 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Honey...GET A GRIP...skinny, healthy people eat icecream. You have not sinned...you indulged...one day...now move on! You are an athelete and the more you work out, the hungrier you'll be...but the more you can eat. Its ok! Yes, plan your meals...it helps, but we also have to live this life, and sometimes that means icecream! Hugs, Rachel
Larakatya
on 7/29/05 2:32 pm - Twin Cities, MN
Thanks sweetie! For the record, I didn't eat it. I posted in the MN board a follow up when I found more info online on an athletic site: Hi there MN!!! I just found a site that helps us make more use of the great info we get from Dan Carey. {http:}//motionworksfitness.com/bmr.htm (Note - people who haven't lost to goal yet or who are under 18 months - close your ears - this can't apply to you yet) In a nutshell what it says is this: Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories you MUST eat in a day to ensure that you aren't burning muscle tissue. (while you're a newbie post-op this would be damn near impossible to achieve, rest assured. . .this will become easier) Your Active Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories you burn through your customary lifestyle activities in addition to your BMR. Any additional exercise you do over and above your normal amount are additional "bonus" calories to eat. (Once you're over a year out. . .man alive it gets easier to eat and with all my running - I want to.) Applying this new information: Ok, so for me here's how I used this websites tools: My lean body mass (measured by underwater weighing) is 154.2 My height in inches is 74.5 My Age is 28 My Activity Level is 1.3 (30 minutes of activity every day) (I count my running as extra/bonus activity since I don't do it every day). It estimates my BMR as being 1776.6 (Per Dan, it is actually is 1887) It estimates my AMR as being 2310 - for a difference of 533 additional calories burned by my daily walkies. SOOOOO. To me this says: 1. As long as I'm doing my daily walkies my real AMR is probably about 2420.4 (I calculated by adding my Measured Basal Metabolic Rate to the difference between my estimated BMR and estimated AMR). Therefore: 2. On a running day (at my weight 45 minutes of running = 466 calories) I can eat 2886.4 calories before I have eaten more than I burn off. (note - this means that the day I was UBER eating and wedged in 2700 calories. . .I actually was still within calorie load that my body can process on a running day). What this means is, now I understand why the scale still hasn't shown any kind of punishment for my misdeeds 2 days ago - and further I understand why I am so CRAZY hungry on Running days. This may not make any sense to anyone but me - but I feel MUCH better about my food crimes this week now - and I know that while I CERTAINLY can choose better options to eat if I'm going to eat that many calories in a day, I know that I didn't actually go over the line and give my body more fuel than it can reasonably use in a day. *PHEW* Sorry if I've confused anyone, but I'm feeling much better now! {end MN post} So, I'm feeling better, and now I understand why I'm so freaking hungry on run days. I enjoy sugar free ice cream, I was just uber pmsy and freaked out. Thanks for the reality check! ~Lara
Rachelq
on 7/31/05 1:38 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Good info Lara! I just had my BMR tested. Mine runs a little high. The # of calories i can eat with out gaining came in somewhere around 1700 or 1800 (I don't have the results in front of me). Gotta run, Rachel
Larakatya
on 7/31/05 3:06 am - Twin Cities, MN
Certainly do gotta run! Cool on you that you've got a nice high BMR like mine I ran 4.5 miles today and it felt GREAT! 5.5 miles next week and I'm excited for it!!! Big hugs to you Rachel, ~Lara
Larakatya
on 7/29/05 11:42 pm - Twin Cities, MN
WOW - even more info here: {http:}//instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/Courses/ns421/BMR.html Man, I've got so much to learn! ~Lara
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views