Running Update

Larakatya
on 7/17/05 3:07 am - Twin Cities, MN
Hello my friends, I really did it this time. By "it" I mean pushed my self healthfully beyond my own boundries into the next level. This morning was my first of 10 "long" runs - longer than my customary 5k that I've gotten used to. Today I ran 4 miles for the first time in my life. It started out, I paced myself. I run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute for recovery with my running club. I kept myself hydrated and was chatting along. I was feeling great right up to the 5k, then I hit a wall. Suddenly the great run I was having started handing me my a$$ as a hat. My stomach wall got UBER hard, and it felt like I couldn't sweat enough - although if you notice a tidal wave at the Calhoun rigatta today . . .that's from the sweat I dripped off running around it today. My run club leader was SO supportive, and helped me through it - we dropped pace just a smidge, and she started giving me 15 second interval statuses on when I was going to get to start walking for recovery. I pushed through it, finished out my last set of running - and coming up on that piece of sidewalk that marked my 4 miles ran felt like a piece of heaven. I started crying tears of gratitude that I'm alive and healthy enough to take on such a physical challenge. I could never have done this a year ago - and I pray that I'll be in this shape or better every day going forward with my life. Wednesday night I'm in the Torchlight 5k for the Aquatennial, and next weekend - 5 miles baby. With love and respect to all, ~Lara -212@goal on the Maintain Train (or perhaps running along side it. . .just trying to keep pace!)
Tamara B.
on 7/17/05 1:43 pm - southwest, MO
Wow what an inspiration you are! I'm no good at running! But hearing you tell that makes it sound like I could try! Congratulations on your 4 mile run...that would have made me cry too! Isn't life just wonderful now in our new bodies!? Keep up the good work....you rock!!! Tamara 251/136
Larakatya
on 7/18/05 3:35 am - Twin Cities, MN
I wouldn't say I'm any good at it yet, but I'm working at it. Thanks for the support, ~Lara (every day has some minor miracle in it these days)
Rachelq
on 7/18/05 2:42 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Yahooo!!!! What are you using to replace your electrolytes? There is a SF replacment powder called hydralyte. I get it on line. Wishing you well, Rachel
Larakatya
on 7/18/05 11:54 pm - Twin Cities, MN
I like Smar****er. I haven't tried anything else yet. My running club is at a store - and they have some non-sugar electrolyte stuff - I just haven't gotten to it yet. Question for you - do you ever feel like when you run sometimes you just haven't eaten enough to keep your body going? How often do you feed yourself on longer runs? Do you use any gels or goo? Teach me Obi-Wan, ~Lara
Rachelq
on 7/19/05 1:19 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hmmm. no I never do. I haven't found a goo type product that's not sugary, but I really haven' t looked. I always make sure that I have had plenty of protien before my run and that I'm very well hydrated before running. Then I switch between plain water and hydrolyte every 3 or so miles. I've learnd to fill my cheeks up so that I can slowy sip my water as I run. My husband slices up a protien bar and munches on that on really long runs, but he doesn't usually need anything unless he's running beyond ten miles. I'm interested to see what you figure out. Use the force...good luck, Rachel
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views