My overweight sister has so much class!

lacmike
on 7/8/05 8:17 am - York, PA
Hi all, I just got back from vacationing at the beach and I thought I would share this story with you. I come from a family of five children, three girls and two boys. My two younger brothers have no weight problems other than the beer guts they are working on, while my two sisters and I have struggled with weight loss most of our lives. Not only am I the oldest and I am also the tallest of most of my siblings (my one brother is slightly taller than me) but most of my life I have been the thinnest female even when I did not have a weight problem. My baby sister on the other hand has always been obese even when she called it baby fat and it really was not, but she has also always been comfortable with her weight. I admire her for that because I was one that could not accept myself fat. My sister, daugther, mother, and I went to the beach on vacation, my youngest sister weighs about 280 lbs if not more and is 5'6. My sister is very attractive and dresses so sharp. We were lying on the beach minding our own business when we heard my mom get up and yell, "Well she might be fat, but you are f'n ugly!" OMG, apparently this woman who was not so lean herself was pointing to my sister and laughing and making remarks about her weight and her appearance in a swim suit. My sister walked right up to her and her husband and said, "Excuse, but I am really sorry that my being fat offends you." I could not belive the amount of class and tact that she used because I would have went off. My sister told him that she is not some dirty fat slob, and that he needs to take a good look at himself and his wife before pointing fingers. You had to be there to hear her say in such the nicest tone. I know deep down my sister does not want to be as heavy as she is but in every other way she takes so much pride in her appearance, like I said she dresses very nice and her hair is awesome and she has a very attractive boyfriend that loves her for who she is inside not outside. I was very proud of my sister and how she handled this pure example of ignorance and prejudice. Even though I would never make fun of anyone at their own expense, especially for being overweight, this experience reminds me that we should remember not to be quick to judge appearances and I hope this little life lesson taught the rude couple the same thing. Love, Lori
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/05 9:02 am - South of Boston, MA
WTG Lori's sister! That takes some serious balls. Especially if she can be calm and maintain class about saying something, you know? My MIL is very morbidly obese, and when folks say something about her/the family (many are also big), she's the first to respond, but it's not at all classy. I have walked away and pretended not to know her when it's happened. Thank goodness it hasn't happened in a very long time. -Beth meltingmama.blogspot.com
ruthdebra
on 7/8/05 9:24 am - Palm Springs, CA
What a great sister - to deal with such nerve and rudeness is such a classy way. You must be so very proud of her. What right does anyone have to comment on another's bodies that way? Please give her a big hug for those of us who have also walked or are walking in her shoes. She is a strong woman. Ruth
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views