Shameless "Go Me" post

Larakatya
on 7/7/05 12:10 am - Twin Cities, MN
So, You all know that I'm dreaming of becoming a runner. And I did my first 5k back on Mother's Day. Well, it hasn't been the easiest going since then. Work and weddings and moving in my sweetie has gotten into my way and so I have not been as religious about my runs as I need to be. My next big goal is to run the Twin Cities 10 mile event as part of the Twin Cities Marathon. This is a total possibility, but as it is a very good distance for beginners, and yet nice and long for people who don't want to lose their life to marathon training (hello - 4 hour runs for marathon training!) it is VERY popular, and ergo hard to get into. Well, anyway, last night my run club the ******g Lazy *****es Club (FLBC) Running Club decided to cheat and go to the free Running Room run club. (They're every Wed night at 6:30 pm and Sunday mornings at 8:30 am). They have many different levels including "I suck, please take mercy on me" and have a loving policy of "no man gets left behind" - so even if you're going uber slow, walking off a charlie horse, or just aren't feeling the groove - someone will keep you company as you finish out at whatever pace you can muster. I really liked the run club - and Free is my favorite 4 letter F word. . .(Well. . .one of them anyway). What I found out is this: 1. They have a training class that will teach me how to run so I will be TOTALLY prepped for the Twin Cities 10 mile run in October. 2. If I sign up for the class I'm guaranteed a spot in the TC 10 run - since Running Room Sponsors it. *squee!* No dealing with the Lottery (yes my friends, so many people want to run this beautiful course that several hundred get rejected every year) 3. Signing up for the class (which I DID!) gave me a free running shirt (uber cute too, light purple) that wicks sweat and makes me look and feel like a real runner. 4. The class meets on Thursdays at 6:30, and runs with the free run clubs on Wed and Sunday too. So now I'm scheduled to get my runs in at a time that is convenient and with a group of people who are supportive and will keep me motivated. 5. There's a 5k run for the Aquatennial on July 20th. Signing up is only 17 bucks, and I got a free running shirt (another one!) just for signing up at the store (these shirts are like 30 bucks, so this is a good deal). A 5k is what my normal Wed training run is anyway, so I basically just bought a shirt 6. My sweetie and running club are planning on doing all this with me. 7. Apparently this is the BEST way to get prepped for Grandma's Marathon next year. When I told my run leader of that being my big goal he said - You can TOTALLY do it! This will put you on plan to get it done - even the time off for plastics healing shouldn't disrupt it, as long as I'm steady the rest of the year. So - I'm doing a 5k on July 20th, I'm registered for Running Clinic to teach me how to become a better runner, and I'm guaranteed a spot in the Twin Cities 10 Mile run in October - I just have to send in my registration and 50 bucks. GO ME! Did I mention I frickin LOVE this surgery? ~Lara
Just Janice
on 7/7/05 12:23 am - Houston, TX
YOU GO GIRL!!!! I am so proud and impressed!!! You have done an amazing job (and got 2 cute T-shirts out of it, too...Lol) I am so envious! I used to run in college, but then the sheer size of my rump made me stop..something about my pace being thrown off when my butt bounced on the downstroke..siiigh. I have been thinking about trying to start up again, and this may have inspired me to do so!!!! (Notice I said may...I need to get rid of my ear infection first....lol) Congrats again!!! Janice 346/310/151/150
Larakatya
on 7/7/05 1:55 am - Twin Cities, MN
I actually ended up with 3 cute T-shirts because when I registered, and they gave me the free one I remembered that I had actually registered for a running class 200lbs ago (2 years ago) but I was too scared to ever come to class - even once. They gave me the extra shirt anyway since I paid for it with the class. I thought that was uber sweet. First walk, then run. Butt bounces less on the downstroke! LOL! Huggles and thanks for the support, ~Lara
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/05 12:50 am - South of Boston, MA
Two words: Runners' Trots? -Beth Very Impressed.
Larakatya
on 7/7/05 1:57 am - Twin Cities, MN
LOL!!! Not thus far. I don't often have problems with the lower GI. Truth be told - I run because 3 Miles at 190 lbs means I get to eat an additional 466 calories. And since they're earned calories. . .I tend to let them be whatever I want. Hugs and Thanks! ~Lara
Luann S.
on 7/7/05 3:05 am - Green Bay, WI
Lara....... You have the right to be proud, you've worked your 'ash' off and it's a great goal....... Good luck to you in the race !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larakatya
on 7/7/05 3:21 am - Twin Cities, MN
I'll be more proud when I achieve it Thank you Thanks for the luck and for the positive energy!!! ~Lara
janiej
on 7/7/05 3:35 am - Independence, IA
OMG - that is so cool. I only wish I had half your ambition!!! I was telling my S/O how much I like to sweat just doing my cardio -- I can't imagine the thrill from actually running.... some day. I still have too much butt & tittie jiggle to deal with. Actually, I want to get the "girls" downsized so only have to work the butt. ha ha You go girl -- we'll all be cheering for you!!! Janie
Larakatya
on 7/7/05 3:47 am - Twin Cities, MN
Thanks Janie! Its amazing to me how much less I sweat now than before! I don't have jiggle so much as Stomach FLOP! Hugs for you and THANKS for the positive energy and cheers, ~Lara
ruthdebra
on 7/7/05 5:03 am - Palm Springs, CA
Yes - you rock!! You can do it!!! I love this surgery too. I think of it as a great liberator from disabilities. It was great meeting you in the TC. You look fantastic. I have so much height envy. Are the plastics scheduled yet? Is insurance picking up some? Ruth
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views