Laying it all out there

cawshells
on 5/12/05 1:37 am - Baltimore, MD
Don't all attack at once but I have to confess..... I drink with my meal. Yep, I said it. I have a few bites and have a sip and I enjoy my meal. I just can't seem to eat without a drink. Nope, confession not complete. I don't drink protein shakes or bars. I eat my protein through food whether it be eggs, beef, chicken, shrimp, cheese,etc. I seem to be the only one on the site who doesn't supplement at least one meal. Worst of all, not regular on my vitamins. I am taking so many pills for other medical reasons taking more pills seems an unclimbable mountain. I just had my blood tested and my calcium and iron are fine. I usually have some type of calcium through food in a day. Ok, I've laid it all out. Am I the only one to rob myself of using my "tool" the most effective way possible?
Dedicated
on 5/12/05 2:39 am - Eleva, WI
I realized that for the past couple months I started sipping with my meals too. I am really making an effort to stop that. Its hard. I do take all my vits. I'm terrified of complications from not taking them. I do a protein shake for breakfast as I really don't like to eat in the morning and if I didn't do a shake, I'd have nothing and thats not good either.
janiej
on 5/12/05 2:40 am - Independence, IA
Carole ~~ please get your vitamins and supplements in. I too get all my protein from meals - haven't had a shake since 2 mos out and I'm now 13 mo. I just had my 1 yr labs done and everything was perfect, but I too had been slacking on my iron and calcium. I vowed I would get back to them and I have. I think the long term effects are what we should be watching. Even though I'm okay now, I'm still worried about the future. Just schedule your vits along with your other pills or with a meal so you don't forget them. I do mine 1st thing in the am before I work out and then my iron and vit C before I go to bed. My dr. doesn't believe in protein supplements this far out and I've been one of the lucky ones who never had a problem with any type of meat. Don't beat yourself up ~~ just vow to do better tomorrow!! Janie
Dawn C.
on 5/12/05 3:23 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Drinking with meals - That is really hard not to do. I find myself doing it when I am at a restaurant only because the water is in front of me. No you are not the only one who does not supplement with protein shakes or drinks regularly. I do on occasion if I am in a hurry or know I won't get all my protein in with food. My doctor really wants us to get it all from food. Vitamins - please take them. Her is an excerpt from a letter my doc just wrote for me so my vitamins will be reimbursed through my medical spending account. "deficiencies of those vitamins and minerals (multi, iron, b12, calcuim, vitamin c and iron) that will lead to serious health problems. Those health problems include, but are not limited to, anemia, osteoporosis, rickets (calcium defeciency), scurvy, encephalopahy, heart failure and damage to the nervous system. Our bodies do not absorb iron, calcium or b12 from our food anymore. My doc also had a patient that did not take her calcium and at age 27 had to have all her teeth pulled because they were crumbling. So if you don't change anything else take your vitamins! Good luck! Dawn
cawshells
on 5/12/05 4:17 am - Baltimore, MD
I want to keep all my teeth!! I'll try to do better. My doctor had given me a vitamin packet that has about 6 pills in it that you are suppose to take twice a day, maybe I'll just do a one pill multi-vitamin for now so I am at least getting the minimum needed and work my way towards taking the 6 pill vitamin packet later when I'm not taking as many other pills. Thanks for the eye-opener on what can happen.
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/05 5:33 am - South of Boston, MA
I've never been 100% with my vitamins, I only supplement when I'm *thinking* about my food intake...aka "diet-head" I don't drink with meals, but I am certain that I drink too close after my meals - which makes a soup out of my meals and makes it too easy to eat again VERY soon after. I am the queen of eating every 30, 60, 90 minutes. I will fail in my tool for that VERY reason if I don't knock the crap off. I need to pay strict attention (I'm not, though :*(...) to what goes in if I am eating so frequently. I've been struggling extraordinarly a lot (does that make sense? ...) with eating issues lately - and I can't seem to drag my sorry butt out of it. Oh, I'm also low on iron & Vitamin D deficient. Yay. So, my advice, read this: http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/2005/05/pouch-rules-for-dummies.html And be good to yourself. {{{you're not alone}}} -Beth HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 140somethingquicklyheadedto150 GW- 130
Larakatya
on 5/12/05 7:01 am - Twin Cities, MN
I take my vites - terrified of not doing so consequences I don't drink with meals - broke that habit 9 months before surgery. I don't drink for at least 30 mins after eating. . .usually 90. I get a gross "floaty" feeling and get sick. I get my protein through food - as my surgeon advises - far better to be eating solid food rather than liquid calories. I eat often when I'm working out lots. I have a high metabolism (or at least I think I still do. . .getting checked on Sunday) and with my running I get HUNGRY. You're not a terrible person! And we get the results that we give - if you're happy where you are then don't sweat it too much. . .other than the Vitamins - that one's scary. HUGS!!! ~Lara
Rachelq
on 5/12/05 10:14 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Other than the vitamins, if you are eating healthy, protien rich foods, you are doing fine. Drinking with meals is a problem because it washes the food out of your tummy too quick (since we don't have a valve to regulate it any more), but if you are staying full and not overeating because of it, I suppose that's ok too. I always have herb tea with my protien bars (which I eat for convenience rather than suppliment). They are too dense and give me a stomachache otherwise. And I have wine with dinner on occasion too. So looks like you have one thing to work on, and that's your suppliments. As i understand, testing the level of calcuim in your blood is no guarantee that you are getting enough calcium to ward off osteoperosis (sp?). Make sure you are getting a bone density check. Low levels a b12 can lead to big problems too and generally the damage is done once you start having symptoms. Soooo, take your vitamins...that's an easy one! Good luck, Rachel
DianneW
on 5/14/05 11:22 am - Louisville, KY
I drink with my evening snack because I have to have food in my pouch to take the 50 million vitimins, and water to wash them down. Sometimes I take them with dinner. At breakfast I have a protien shake so no biggy. They told me in the hospital after surgery to take the pills with food. I've never worried about it. I do the best I can. I am a fanatic about taking a million vitimins, I was before surgery. I get migraines and the calcium and vitimin B help that. I've always taken Iron for anemia and a multi. Just a long habit I guess. Hang in there. Dianne
ruthdebra
on 5/15/05 12:20 pm - Palm Springs, CA
Hi Carole - better late than never - I very rarely drink with my meals - well, maybe every 3-4 months I'll have a few sips of wine. Satiety is what our tool gives us and if we wash our food down with liquids we won't get satiety. It's your choice and I don't think a few sips will hurt a lot. As long as it's not much. No shakes - I hated them and managed to get down a grand total of 2 in my first week post op - tasted a sip or two of many - and then gave up on them. They were too gross for me. But - I do get lots of protein from food and that's what my surgeon prefers anyway. Vitamins are a different story. Please start taking them every day. The consequences can be very dire down the road. We don't absorb nutrients the way we use to. Please take them. If you can't take them with your other pills find a different time of day but please be regular. You're doing ok. Confession is good for the spirit. Take care. Ruth
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views