Bad news for my good news.

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/05 10:38 am - South of Boston, MA
It's one of those good news bad news moments. Good news - I can have my tummy tucked! The surgeon said I could go ahead and schedule a surgery date for an abdominoplasty. She said I'm already "at goal..." and not to think about losing any more. She said I can get it done in as little as three weeks from now. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Perfect! Bad news - (saw it coming a mile away!) Is that she said there's "no way" insurance would cover it. It's purely "cosmetic." ::sigh:: The only medical issue I have is my mad varicose veins - and those were damage from the fat. My first reaction is - it's really not cosmetic, it's psychological! Removing the excess skin would help me to see that I really AM a smaller self - and not just a shriveled fat person. IT would help immensely - to fit into clothing properly - to look somewhat normal and not like a deformity. It's not only that - I am in need of more than plastics on the abdomen, I also need my arms fixed in a bad way, I have no chest left whatsoever (no really, I'm one size away from a training bra), my thighs are flapping in the breeze... all of those I assume are completely and utterly considered cosmetic, so I didn't even think about consulting for them yet. I'll need to sell my ovaries or something for those. Anybody got a spare $5 spot?? I mean, a spare $5,ooo?? ::sigh:: I suppose, $1 from 5,000 people would work! ::off to figure out how to come up with that kind of cash on short notice... I'd really love to be done with this before NEXT year... you know? I'm ready to be done with the "transformation." http://meltingmama.blogspot.com Beth Someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar, someday I'll be so much more than my body gives me credit for. Why is it not my time? What is there more to learn? Shed this skin I've been tripping in, never to quite return... -J. Mayer
jennann
on 4/28/05 11:39 am - Bonifay, FL
You know I think that if Insurance pays for us to have the surgery they should have to pay for us to get all the skin cut off... That comes with loosing the weight... Sorry to hear about your bad news... I will find out my news in 4 to 6 weeks... The Dr think I should not have no problem cause mine hangs past the pubic area and he said when its that bad insurance would pay.. We will see... If not all they require is me going to Dr with rashes and problems And then the Dr writing a letter refering me to a plastic surgeon... Then the plastic surgeon writing a letter sayin how he thinks a TT would help me.. And then to Insurance... Wish you lots of luck getting the money... I will be doin that soon.. With getting my thighs and BOOBS done... Jennifer
Rachelq
on 4/28/05 1:11 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I know what you mean about the psycological part. I mean, we had this surgery to save our lives, but were left 'disfigured' for lack of a better word. A breast cancer patient has her breast removed to save her life. And thank God insurance pays for that reconstruction no questions asked. Just my two cents on the matter. Hope you find a way to pay! Hugs, Rachel
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/05 10:48 pm - South of Boston, MA
Thanks, Rachel. I'm thinking of my options. I need to save money that I normally wouldn't have - I'm already feeling guilty about *using money on a plastic surgery rather than on something material (aka towards a new house, paying off my car, etc... and I haven't even spent a dime yet!) I do make a small income babysitting each week, but that is just enough to buy some groceries & to keep a couple bucks in my pocket without hounding DH all week. It would take me a year to save enough if I saved every penny of that money. I asked DH about taking out a small personal loan, but the interest rates are insane - and we just spent two years working on getting our credit up - and he'd drop dead if we took on new credit-card debt as we don't have any. I just feel helpless right at the moment, because if one procedure is out of reach, I'm unlikely to get the others I "need" as well. ::sigh:: I just want to be done with this stage and feel normal! Beth Someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar, someday I'll be so much more than my body gives me credit for. Why is it not my time? What is there more to learn? Shed this skin I've been tripping in, never to quite return... -J. Mayer http://meltingmama.blogspot.com
Larakatya
on 5/2/05 5:46 am - Twin Cities, MN
Oh my Beth, I'm scared that I'll be getting this exact news on Thursday. My pannus doesn't hang over my pubis, but part of that is because the pubis has its own sagging skin. . . .*feh* In any case, I totally understand what you're going through, as I'm preparing myself for the same news. Further, I'm in training bras at this point. I wear a b cup only to wrangle the skin all together in a quasi-psudeo attractive shape that is breast-esque. So I feel you there too. I'm not looking for anyother surgery to get paid for other than a belt lift with full vertical. I get infections in my folds (hind-cleft - yep the a$$crack - and under the pannus and in the navel.) My lower back pain has mostly subsided. . .but I've been doing a lot of compensatory exercises to make it workable. For me I just won't feel "done" until this skin goes. I've decided to pull from my 401k - and I need to do research to understand what kind of tax burden this is going to put on me. I know I'll be going to grad school to become a Dr, so I'll be able to get it replaced - and this is worth it to me to do so. Regarding the "rack" - I am at the 90 year old great-grandmother phase of breast shape and consistancy - but even still I'm not fully sold on getting new ones installed. If I do, I do NOT want anything bigger than a small B cup because I do not want to look like a barbie doll - and on my *smirk* "thin" frame (still doesn't look right to write that) anything bigger would be just that appearence. If you had no scruples, I know of several discussions where people talk about "generating" rashes. I don't have to go there, as my skin comes up with these disgusting gifts all on its own. I guess this is a long winded commisseration rather than focused support for you. . .sorry for that. But know I'm thinking about you! ~Lara
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/05 8:51 am - South of Boston, MA
Lara - thanks... We may, in fact, be sharing the same breasts. :-x I feel silly wearing these tiny A cups - but they don't even fill THOSE out. TMI- but when I take my bra off, they're still folded. ::cries:: Teeny tiny Tetley Teabags. WAHHHHHHH! I wish I had a rash, damnit. The doctor said it more than once, "Well, if you had a rash..." and then told me that she's "ethical".... ::sigh:: -beth http://meltingmama.blogspot.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views