BM Muscles Seem Broken...

Cuffytar C.
on 4/12/05 5:34 am - Norwalk, CT
This is a gross subject, and I'm going to ask my surgeon when I see him, but does anyone have the following problem with BMs? Not that they're hard, but pretty big and the colon muscles don't work the same way they did before surgery. I have to strain like crazy and kind of push manaully to work it out. I can't believe I'm writing this, but it is a problem. I can actually see the varicose veins on my legs swell as I strain. I'm wondering if the intestines/colon lose some of the muscles that used to so effectively push everything through. I may end up at a proctologist, if my surgeon doesn't have any answers. I'm actually wishing for the days when I used to have diarhea! Didn't have to strain then! Thanks for any feedback and sorry for the graphic details here. Linda 334/204
Kim T.
on 4/12/05 7:57 am - Dracut, MA
i havent had any trouble, but it seems to make sense that your body doesnt absorb the way it used to.... my suggestion, push fluids, add lotsa lotsa water, and metamucil or some kind of stool softner something you can take daily like a senakot or something, just to "keep things moving" wont actually make you go, just keep you "regular". my doc suggest metamucil daily if i ever thought things were irregular. lotsa luck! ~Kim
Larakatya
on 4/13/05 1:17 am - Twin Cities, MN
If I don't keep fiber coming in on a regular basis (fruit, popcorn, salad, veggies) and keep my water at 64 oz or higher every day I get this too. Go to the dr if you want it checked out. Wishing you the best, and thanks for posting it - it's happening to more than just you. ~Lara
LesaPurdy
on 4/13/05 1:30 pm - panama city bch, fl
Linda I had this happen to me too.. not the varicose veins but the BM's.. they put me on Zelnorm 6 mg and it works like a charm..I feel so much better.. but to get it I had to go see an gastrointestinal dr..have a colonoscopy and endoscopy..put my plumbing is now working and It's wonderful
Rachelq
on 4/14/05 4:09 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Linda. I was going to write a similar post. My BM's are much larger. Like to the point were, I can't beleive it fits in my body (sorry to be so gross). I have to switch positions, twist side to side, back and forward, and really work my anal muscles to move sometimes. Then sometimes its like the old days...go figure. I'm trying to make sure I get all my green leafies in...but I'm not the best at getting all my fiber in. I'm going to talk to my surgeon at my one year. I'll keep you posted. Rachel PS. I'll take this over not being able to wipe my on arse any day!
julie M.
on 4/14/05 4:01 pm - Mentone, CA
Thanks you all for being brave enough to post this subject. I am having the same problem! The size is amazing! And getting it out is terrible. . . have had to resort to some manual help also. This just started about 6 weeks ago. Before that all was well. I don't get it. We don't eat that much! I have resorted to 2 colace tablets and 4-5 prunes daily and it has helped but don't know if my Dr. approves, will see her in 2 weeks. If any of you have more tips, I could use them. I leave on a cruise in 3 weeks and don't want to be so terribly constipated for that trip. Best of luck, keep on pushing!
Rachelq
on 4/15/05 12:11 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Take glycerin suppositories. They are the best for relief and they work from the backside, so no bariatric complications. (plus they don't give your the runs.) Enjoy your trip! Rachel
petel
on 4/16/05 10:54 am - San Diego, CA
Hi All, It is amazing that every doctor I spoke to told me that constipation was not normal with wls patients, yet I see many postings from people with this problem. Mine was so bad that it caused an anal fisure and I had to have two fistulotomies. Please take care of yours before you have similar problems. What worked for me was milk of magnisia. I took two tablespoons every night and it worked great. My Dr. just switched me from MOM to Miralax powder because he dosn't want me becoming dependent on a laxitive. Miralax keeps fluid in your bowels and is supposed to soften stool. I just took my first dose today and will wean off of the MOM in two days. I'm hoping for the best. Please do what you need to do to soften things up now and don't continue to strain and struggle. It can lead to bigger problems. (no pun intended) Good luck and God bless, Pete
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views