My Surgiversary! I'm a toddler today!

Larakatya
on 3/31/05 5:30 pm - Twin Cities, MN
Hello there my peeps, Today I am 1 year post op Being the introspective sort, of course I have very complicated feelings about it. There is of course the incredible joy of success. This year I have managed to maintain the 45lb loss I achieved pre-op down from 400+ at my highest. And further I have released from my body 169 lbs for a total of 214 lbs gone hopefully forever. There are several FEET less of me to love now. And I can breath and move in ways I never even knew possible. There is also a very humble blessed state of grace kind of feeling - so many suffer with obestity for so long. And I never really saw how much I was suffering. I feel not regret - because that's my gig - but rather just simple sorrow that I didn't understand sooner how much I had given up to the monster of food addiction. I never really understood the costs until I was set free from them. And now I feel so incredibly grateful for my continued health and wellness that I don't quite know what to do with myself. I'm finally starting to come into my own about owning my new thin healthy body. I'm able to see it more clearly, and I LOVE IT! I feel more sexy than I ever have my entire life. I love the ways that I can move this newly tiny body. And even with the hanging skin I feel great about the way I look(even with all my stupid human tricks ). And not that I'm incredibly stuck on myself - but the attention I get now tells me that more people find me attractive than I ever possibly could have concieved of before. Its actually quite disturbing - but humbling and very flattering too. I am learning so many new things about our culture - like the way that thin people are treated and revered - it can be MAJORLY overwhelming and kind of disgusting. I'm mostly the same girl I was 214 lbs ago. . .some things have changed but the core identity I held then is the same one I have now. It can be pretty infuriating that now suddenly people take what I have to say at face value. . . One of the strangest things that I am dealing with is how losing weight impacts the workplace - There is something pretty odd to me about the way men will give chase even in the officeplace. And they're barking up the wrong tree with this girly anyway. . .(if you didn't know. . .I only date GIRLS ) Today I'm allowed by my food plan to have a drinky treat. I don't really have any plans to do so yet, but it's kind of weird to have that freedom again. Someday soon perhaps I'll have to toast one. Truth be told, I haven't really missed it, so I wonder how important it is to even really mark that milestone for me. Well, now I'm just babbling - but I'm incredibly thankful. This has been the strangest most incredible year of my life. I am so grateful for all the people who have shared their journey with me that I might learn from them I am so thankful to all those who have gone before me and paved the way I'm so proud of the people I have seen go through this same journey with grace and dignity. This journey is many things, and easy ain't one of them. But this has been the most REWARDING decision I have ever made. I finally have freedom from my most terrifying addiction - food. And I have to work out every day. And I have to eat well and properly every day. And I don't get to make any excuses or I lose all this beautiful success. But, today I'm choosing life, just like I did one year ago today. This is my road less traveled by. . .and indeed it has made all the difference. I wish you love, peace and comfort wherever you are on your journey. Love, ~Lara Lap RNY 4-1-04 Preop High 400+ (Men's size 56 jeans, size 5x/6x shirts) Surgery Weight 355 (Women's size 30/32 jeans, size 3x/4x shirts) Current Weight 186-188 (BELOW GOAL of 190) Women's size 10 jeans, Size M/L shirts) 6'3" tall Dr Drew - Abbott NW Minneapolis
Sue B
on 3/31/05 9:10 pm - WI
CONGRATS to you! I am so excited for the successes you have had - I always love reading your posts & love the insight you give to situations. You have been such an inspiration to me ... I want you to know that As I come up on my 1 year soon - it is a great feeling to know that we are all in the same boat & that we all understand & appreciate the things we have, the things we want & the things we gave up to be here together ... and what a great bonus it is to be able to share this part of our journey together ... Here is to another GREAT year! XOXO Sue 318/176/160
Larakatya
on 3/31/05 10:40 pm - Twin Cities, MN
Thanks Sue! If my words have helped you, for that I am grateful. I am so blessed to have the people on this site to share my journey with. Bring on year 2! I'm ready for this mutha ~Lara
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/05 11:33 pm - South of Boston, MA
Way to go - April baby numero uno! Who woulda thunk it - right? You entire post makes perfect sense to me. While I enjoy this new sense of self - it IS bizarre how others now take notice of me when before I was merely avoided. Anyway - onward and upward, err, downward, err?! CHEERS! Beth Being *****y and unstable is all part of my mystique. http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/ 313/298/144/130
janiej
on 4/1/05 5:46 am - Independence, IA
Lara ~~ I loved your post and am soooo congratulating you on your losses. I wish I could write so eloquently (and it's obvious that I can't). You say the things we all feel in words I can't put them into. Will you write my thoughts on my birthday too!! ha ha.. Congrats again and where we've come from and road we're continuing down. Janie
thin_tyme
on 4/1/05 7:57 am - WY
Lara, nicely put... You have done outstanding and I am so very proud of you, thank you to you for sharing your journey with all of us. Mechelle 283/157/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views