long day tomorrow!! LONG POST

Donna R
on 3/10/05 9:18 am - Paducah, KY
Hi all, tomorrow I have a long day ahead of me and I am getting ready for it now, I am a veteran so sometimes I go to the VA hospital or sometimes I go to the civilian one that is near me. Thankfully I have coverage with the VA and Hubby's insurance. well anyway, although I have lost over 100 pounds my knees were still hurting and making awful noises. so I called my VA doctor and she sent me to the VA which is 75 miles from my house. because I have neuropathy in both legs due to tumors in my spine, i wear leg braces for support...I USED to use a cane too but my balance is so much improved with the weight loss. I know most the people in the PT clinic because I spent 3 months in the VA rehab hospital about 3 years ago after spine surgery complications...when I woke up, I could not sit up on my own or anything,(I was in a wheel chair for 6 months ). these therapist did not know me at my largest but I was pretty big, about 225 or so. they remember me though because I am female and 99% of the patients they saw were men who were over 60 years old. I told everyone how I lost the weight, i usually dont but these people are in the medical field and I felt they should know, well all of them were so supportive and said how great I looked and asked how I was doing, I did not have my surgery through the VA but could have, if I had gone with the VA it could have taken a whole year but with my hubby's insurance it took around 4 months. thankfully with the VA if you are overweight they send you to a dietician every year on your annual check up so I had a few years worth of her notes. also did my sleep study the year before at the VA and the Orthopedic doctor there wrote a letter on my hehalf that the surgery would benifit me... so when I went to my surgeon i already had most the stuff he wanted me to have done. I am rambling,sorry but Its just pouring out tonight.... well the PT works out well for me, I live 20+ plus miles from town, so if I went to a civilian PT its about 22 to 26 miles, or I can drive to the satalite VA clinic which is 23 miles away and catch a free ride to the VA which is about 45-50 miles more. with the civilian PT i would pay a co-pay but not with the VA. plus if the VA PT wants to get me some medical equiptment I get that free of charge too. also when a veteran rides the VA van, usually there is a few people going and we have to wait around until everyone is done with their appointments and it makes a long day... but they give us either a free lunch or breakfast and I can get some type of free craft. like a model, sun catcher. puzzle etc. NOW FOR THE BAD PART I have to leave my house by 5:45 am so I can get to the satalite VA van which leaves at 6:30am... I bring a book to read while someone else drives!! and a small ice-chest. this holds my drinks and snacks in case I cant find anything to eat there. I got my cheese sticks,a big water bottle, my Atkins protien drink, a cup of fruit, pumpkin seeds and a protien bar... now I will not eat all of this! but I never know how long I will be at the hospital, one time I was there for 8 hours!!! and did not get home until after dark! when I went on Wednesday I went to the cafeteria(sp) and had scrambled eggs and a slice of bacon, i also got the makings for a nsa hotchocolate but did not add the ho****er until after I waited my 30 minutes. I have to do this twice a week for the rest of the month, I know I would be too bored and I can catch up on my reading or I may start another afghan blanket. they made me use an elliptical trainer! I may just have to buy one of those!!! have a great day and a wonderful weekend Donna 277/171 or so/150
DianneW
on 3/10/05 9:39 am - Louisville, KY
Wow, I got tired just reading that. Good luck! I started PT today I'm hopeing it helps both of us. I have back pain and bursitis. Keep us posted. Dianne 340/173/150
DianneW
on 3/10/05 8:57 pm - Louisville, KY
Donna, I don't know if you know this, but I'm working for the VA now in Louisville. I'm at an outpatient mental health clinic. I've been very impressed with the other staff and there level of enthusiasim for the work they do. I has been a privilege and an honor for me to work with veterans, especially after working with the criminally insane for 11 years. Dianne
thin_tyme
on 3/10/05 9:58 pm - WY
Hi Donna What a day! I too am tired just reading what you will be enduring, can I go back to bed now? Seriously I hope that you have a great day and that everything works out for you. Take care Mechelle
Donna R
on 3/11/05 11:15 am - Paducah, KY
thanks for replying ,got home around 1pm and just went to bed, slept for 3 hours! I hope everyone has a great weekend, I have no idea what I will do, the weather keeps doing wacky things.. Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views