heartburn/indigestion

DianneW
on 3/7/05 4:52 pm - Louisville, KY
Anybody having heartburn/indigestion. I've been having it terrible lately. I always used to take nexium, but my surgeon said I could stop after surgery. I go to my primary care Saturday I guess I'll ask him . I'm eating ton's of mylanta anti gas a day, not much help. I'm going back to St. Louis in May to see my surgeon. I didn't feel up to changing surgeon's and may never do it. Thanks. Dianne 340/174/150
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/05 9:40 pm - South of Boston, MA
Dianne- I was under the impression that after the RNY we didn't HAVE gastric juices/acid anymore in the pouch, and that those juices got to the food once it passed the pouch and entered the upper intestines from the "old" stomach? Oops! I guess for me it's somewhat true, as I've never ever ever felt acid since the surgery, and I suffered terrible with gastro-reflux PRE op. The food just sort of sits in the pouch, rolls out into the intestine and blends with acid to digest...?? I did a quick search online: *Ulcers, extra stomach acid or heartburn may result from having the contents of the stomach flow into the esophagus or from swelling of the pouch. You will need to: Avoid citrus juices, which have a high acid content Avoid aspirin-type medications such as Motrin®, ibuprofen, Aleve® and Advil®, as they can cause ulcers. Tylenol® can be used for minor pain. Take multivitamins to prevent vitamin or mineral deficiencies that can occur if you lose weight too quickly In addition, you may develop intolerances for certain types of food, especially red meat, milk, high fiber foods or very sweet or sugary foods. So, I'm of no help! -beth
DianneW
on 3/8/05 12:39 am - Louisville, KY
I think I'll try giving up coffee for a week. I only recently started drinking it. It could be the culprite. Thanks. Dianne
Ayleneb
on 3/12/05 8:46 am - Jacksonville, FL
Diane, Out of nowhere last night I started having this ache up high kinda under the left side of my breast bone. It happened after eating a little too much (peanut butter pretzels and then some cottage cheese). I was feeling a little too full then suddenly the ache... Anyway, I went to bed and figured it would be gone in the morning. Unfortunately, not so. I've been feeling that ache all day, worse after breakfast and dinner. Before dinner upon my mother's suggestion I had some Tums and they did help. I had commented to her earlier this week that I thought that perhaps I had developed a small ulcer in my tummy because I've been feeling a "nagging" feeling and have been "medicating" with snacking too much. At this point I'm certain that I have either an ulcer in my pouch/lower esophagus and/or gastroesophageal reflux. I've had ulcers before (as a teen) but they were never officially diagnosed - I just treated it with dietary control, limiting sodas and greasy foods mainly. I haven't been feeling the burning in my throat that I would associate with acid reflux (knock on wood) but that seems to be the only explanation for the symptoms and reactions. I plan to cut way back on coffee and diet cokes plus had dh pick up some Pepcid this evening. Hopefully that will resolve this. Let me know what you find out! Aylene
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views