Opinions about surgery!

DianneW
on 3/3/05 7:38 am - Louisville, KY
I'm working in an outpatient VA clinic doing therapy. The VA hospital in Louisville does gastric bypass surgery so we get post op pts. I had one today. Today one of the RN's comes into my office and asks if I've seen many gastric bypass pt's. and I say no, just one and she starts telling me how awful they are. How many problems they have, etc. Luckily I haven't told anyone I had the surgery. It does sound like the screening process for surgery at the VA leaves something to be desired. My pt. today was 5 months post-op and talking about drinking gatoraid and eating ribeye daily. Doesn't sound like they've had much nutritional counseling. Anyway, I'm glad I made the decision not to tell people. Dianne 340/174/150
Larakatya
on 3/3/05 8:27 am - Twin Cities, MN
Good GOD! Yikes. Good luck sweetheart, ~Lara
Classy M.
on 3/3/05 8:29 am - inglewood, CA
sometymes i'm glad i haven't told certain people too. b/c somehow people xspecially when they are at odds with u tend to turn things against. that's one of the reasons. another is that ma medical buziness isn't everyone else's. however, lately jus recently, i've been feeling guilty b/c people are really asking, giving compliments so much. i'm starting to get them at ma local stores i frequent. most popular question is what are u doing? i say which honestly is true. low carb, lots of water/protein, and xercise. but i feel so guilty leaving out ma pouch and sometymes gets paranoid that they will find out and think that i'm all FAKE. i'm afraid one day someones jus going to bust me out with i knew u were lying are not telling the truth i saw u on oh . i'm serious sometymes i 'm scared, but at the same tyme i don't think i want to put maself out there like that. i know it sounds weird but that's how i've been feeling lately. b/c people are sooooooo amazed at ma appearance now . now i have a question for u, what do u think??? lemme know. blessings
Ayleneb
on 3/3/05 9:04 am - Jacksonville, FL
I think that it's not anyone else's business what you are doing with your body or how you achieved the weight loss. If someone asks what you did, etc... I would probably say "thanks!!" and rapidly change the subject to them. If they persist you can say that you made a lot of changes in how you eat and that you are exercising. Most people will gladly talk about themselves if given the chance so that's a good way to change the topic. Alternatively go on about how much you are enjoying life, shopping, clothes, whatever, these days. If someone ever did confront you I think that you can hold your head up high and tell them that your medical history is your business and not something that you care to discuss with the world. I don't tell most people about my surgery, but sometimes I do share because there are people out there who could benefit from it themselves. It's a very personal decision and I don't think that you should be ashamed of yourself at all. Hugs, Aylene
Classy M.
on 3/4/05 12:46 am - inglewood, CA
thanks Aylene . blessings
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/05 9:43 am - South of Boston, MA
Oh good lord, Dianne... do you feel the urge to bite your tongue, velcro it down?! Yikes. I can't keep quiet, I'd have a bird. I didn't realise you were a therapist? B e t h _______________________________________ when it rains it pours and opens doors and floods the floors we thought would always keep us safe and dry -train ________________________________________ HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 149 GWR- 114/151 Journal- http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/ Pix- http://community.webshots.com/user/msooyl Email- [email protected] IM- bethlbutterfly
DianneW
on 3/3/05 10:13 am - Louisville, KY
I agree with everyone, that it's no one else's business. When I had surgery, the people I worked with were friends and I didn't care if they knew but I don't want to tell total strangers. And yes Beth I'm a therapist, and really enjoying the new job. My prior job (of 11 years) was working with the criminally insane and I was really burned out. Now I'm working with veterans and they are everyday normal people. Most of them are middle aged men, and it's been very exciting to see their motivation to get help. Quite a change from the population I was working with. Plus I got a 20% raise when I moved which for me was much needed. For the most part the staff are very friendly and supportive. I'm actually going to a dinner/play with some of them next Monday night. I'm looking forward to it. Dianne
Larakatya
on 3/4/05 12:10 am - Twin Cities, MN
Wow Dianne, I didn't realise you were a therapist either. As you might have read, that is also my career goal. I can't imagine working with the criminally insane as my population! WOW, Burned out is right - I can't imagine working with them for 11 long years. I think its really great that you're working with veterans - god knows they need the support as they transition from active duty to civilian life. Cool to have so mu*****ommon with such a nice lady. Have a great day, ~Lara
Dedicated
on 3/3/05 11:06 pm - Eleva, WI
Too bad they are such morons....but on the bright side, you'll be a huge asset to the clients there!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views