We're all going to regain at least HALF of our FAT back?!

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/05 5:38 am - South of Boston, MA
From prevention.com ... "Gastric bypass isn't a surefire cure for obesity. Within the first 2 years of surgery, patients typically lose 75 percent of the extra weight they were carrying. Five years out, 85 percent of patients have regained about half of the weight they've lost. The other 15 percent have gained back even more." _____________________________________________________________ I feel like I want to use this as a signature line, just as a daily reminder to myself that I'm not cured. This is absolutely scary, isn't it?! This says that, statistically, ALL of us are going to gain back AT LEAST HALF of our EXCESS WEIGHT?!?!??! Right, am I right? Do you think for one flippin' second that I am going to ALLOW myself to REGAIN (doing the math in my head...) umm.... 183 excess lbs, divided by two, equals.... 91.5 lbs?! No way. Sorry, I'm just floored by this, I didn't truely *read* it the first time. -Beth ::doing it:: Gastric bypass isn't a surefire cure for obesity. Within the first 2 years of surgery, patients typically lose 75 percent of the extra weight they were carrying. Five years out, 85 percent of patients have regained about half of the weight they've lost. The other 15 percent have gained back even more.
Dedicated
on 3/2/05 6:02 am - Eleva, WI
I say its all crap. Did they say if these people regained magically or did they stop following the rules????? My feeling is if you aren't willing to follow the rules...FOREVER...don't have this surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/05 9:30 am - South of Boston, MA
I didn't delve into the sources... of the stats... It just makes me angry, you know, although *I'm* sure I would have still chanced it and went ahead with the RNY, I am SURE a lot of folks out there wouldn't have if they knew the failure rate. I'm certain there are way too many people having surgery that shouldn't--- and it's being used as a cure-all. I feel like it should now be reserved as a life-saving technique only, or perhaps for those who 100% without a doubt go through and pass pre-operative psychological testing, counseling and MORE... We've been trying to convince my MIL to get the go ahead for WLS, but the more I think about it--- she's not ready, not-willing, and would probably sabotage herself.... I've given up, I figure she's gotta have it in herself to do it herself, I can't help. I'm just trying to be a good role model (bizarre in it's own way, because DH & I are just shrinking away in front of everyone... most of whom are morbidly obese...) for healthy weight loss... they seem to have a SLIGHT bit of motivation from seeing the two of us lose... -beth 313/298/149/130 & bob 360/340/203/175
Rachelq
on 3/2/05 8:12 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Tough to swallow isn't it! The truth of the matter that many of us, my self included for sure, gained weight because or at least in part because of serious food additions. Additions can be kept at bay, but never truly cured...that I've seen anyway. The cruel thing about our addition is that we have to face it every day to live! An alchololic can avoid the bars, a heroin addict can get off the street. But WE have too eat. The other cruel thing is that our bodies have memory, and more and more studies are showing, that once fat, or bodies strive to remain fat. So yes! We have a long...like rest of our lives...long battle ahead. That's why its so important to establish good habits now. Its great that we have eachother to lean on! We can all do this together! Let's be the group that doesn't gain back any significant amount of weight...shall we? Fight Fight Fight! Hugs, Rachel
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/05 9:20 am - South of Boston, MA
I ain't going down without a fight, that's for certain! It's just so darn scary, seeing it in print like that. Doomed, we are. I say, no way! -beth
Rachelq
on 3/2/05 10:10 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I'm such the queen of the typos...lets try ADDICTIONS. But I guess that did lead to food additions. Duh! Rach
Larakatya
on 3/2/05 10:28 pm - Twin Cities, MN
**Rolling up sleeves** NOT THIS LADY! I've worked too damn hard, and come too damn far to go down without a fight. This here's my body, and I'm the one who gets to decide what I put into it. I'm choosing health - for the rest of my life. I'm not going to regain 104 lbs. I am HAPPIER here at this weight. And I've got TOO damn much to live for to ever go back. I remember 304. 298 - it was right around my birthday last year. I was not content at that size, I still had back problems, I still had breathing problems, I still had self-esteem problems. People change when the fear of changing is less than the fear of staying the same. I was terrified that I would end up sick, and in a wheelchair at 45, and in a nursing home at 55 - in the next bed over from my morbidly obese mom. I'm here to tell you - it ain't gonna be like that. I'm in this fight for good! ~Lara
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/05 11:27 pm - South of Boston, MA
*disclaimer... pissy girl below* I knew it would stir up some emotion here! I just about pooped my pants when I read that article quote, I read it, reread it, read it again, and again. It's still the same, and it still ****** me off. I sent it to DH last night while he worked at his part time job, and we IM'ed about it for like 45 minutes. He was like: "That CAN'T be right." "What about the percentage of people who DO keep the weight off? "Are they f*cking nuts? Why would anyone regain THAT much?" So I say to him, "Well, the STATISTICS say 100% of us will gain at LEAST half of the fat back...So, you're gonna gain at least 100+ back and I'll gain just under 100 lbs!" He got so He's like "NEVER. I won't allow it." God, I hope not. I hope neither of us get so lax that we allow it to happen. What a waste. It's like, "Sure, cut your stomach open, rearrange your anatomy, lose the weight, and then just start eating crap and regain the weight! Sounds like a plan!" Why would you even bother? B e t h _______________________________________ when it rains it pours and opens doors and floods the floors we thought would always keep us safe and dry -train ________________________________________ HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 149 GWR- 114/151 Journal- http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/ Pix- http://community.webshots.com/user/msooyl Email- [email protected] IM- bethlbutterfly
Larakatya
on 3/3/05 12:18 am - Twin Cities, MN
You know tho, I read those statistics and know in my heart that lots of people do regain. And they do it because they NEVER face their core issues. (although I do know that you can make a statistic say whatever you want it to) For me, my eating disorder is SNEAKY!!! I stopped the binge/purge crap almost 7 years ago(), I've stopped the binge cycle crap as of last year(). Now my bulemia has snuck into my wallet and is doing a little dance there. I'm a bulemic spender - its true - the same cycle of deny deny deny then BINDGE SPEND, numbing, then paying the consequences. But I've got her number this time. . .I'm not going to let any part of that sick pattern of thought exist in my head.I've packed her bags, and it's time for her to go. I'm officially handing my eating disorder her hat. You are NO LONGER NEEDED/REQUIRED/WELCOME in this here skull. Time to leave, and don't come back. (Yes, I know that I'm certifiable ) Goodbye Bulemic brain, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya! I'm going to live a long healthy life. I have a healthy relationship with myself. I have a healthy relationship with food. I have a healthy relationship with money. I am happy with the woman I am today, and proud of the woman I'm becoming. Hugs to all, ~Lara Beware the Irish temper
Larakatya
on 3/3/05 3:03 am - Twin Cities, MN
PS - I love my Beth!!! Thanks for getting me all fired up - it feels good to be so confident ~Lara
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views