Thought for the day

Middlesgirl
on 3/1/05 1:52 am - Lansing, MI
Reading an article at prevention.com, it states 85% of gastric bypass patients will gain back at least 50% of excess weight lost, and the other 15% will gain that plus more. So, we are all doing this for nothing, and are going to regain the weight back anyway? No where in the literature I read pre op did they give these stats. How frustrating it will be if this is true.
Dawn C.
on 3/1/05 3:53 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Those *****gain their weight probably don't follow the rules. I am sure as you get further out and at goal it's easy to get lazy. I have a good friend who lost 100lbs within the first 9 months. Then within a year gained about 1/2 of it back. She doesn't follow the rules and doesn't exercise. I think we all have to realize that this is a lifestyle change and will always have to be aware of what we eat. We will always have to exercise to maintain. Hopefully none of us Apriler's will be one of those statistics because we have a good support network on this board. I know I am going to do my darndest not to be! Dawn
Jillybean
on 3/1/05 4:40 am - Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC
That's because WLS isn't just a quick fix. Giving us a small pouch limits us to how much food we can take in. The more we eat, the more our pouch will stretch-- just like our stomachs did before. If we go back to our old eating habits and not exercising, we're going to gain weight just like anyone else would. The surgery only a tool to help us learn to eat right and change our lifestyles-- the rest is up to us. As long as you stick to the program and stay committed to living a healthy lifestyle, while your weight may fluctuate a little as you get older, you will not gain all the weight back that you lost. Jill 288/165/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views