Addicted to Diet Coke again....

acanesfan296
on 2/14/05 4:30 am - Boca Raton, FL
I'm 10 months post op now, down from 296 to 181 so far. A few weeks ago I tried a Diet Coke and found out I can drink as much as I want. I'm not sure that was a good thing to find out! Now I drink it all day, 6 or 7 a day. Someone at my group meeting said drinking Diet Coke will make you hungry. She might be right, because another thing I'm going through right now is that for the first time since last April I'm finding myself hungry all the time again. Up until now it hasn't been an issue. So I'm cutting out the Diet Coke for a week to find out if that's what's causing it. I'll keep y'all updated. Jamie S. 4-7-04 RNY Distal 296 - 181
Dawn C.
on 2/14/05 4:55 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Jamie, My surgeon discourages any carbonated beverages because it causes gall stones. If you don't have a gall bladder, I don't know if it does anything but make you hungry. So maybe that's another reason to stop drinking it. Fortunately I was never much of a soda drinker so it's not a big deal for me. Coffee is another story. I miss mine leaded. Dawn
Donna Paige
on 2/14/05 9:07 am - Pottstown, PA
Jamie, My sugeon says no carbonated drinks but... I admit I've been addicted to diet coke since about the third month out. I've heard it slows down your process. However, I've lost 153lbs in 10 months so I'm not sure if this is true. I do know that carbonation is not good for you and on that note it is also one vice that I cannot give up. So I'll continue drinking my drinks. I wish you well with your weightloss. Donna Open RNY-Distal 339/187 Total loss of 153lbs.
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/05 10:18 am - South of Boston, MA
I just wrote about this- I started drinking diet root beers a couple of weeks ago... had to stop that cold turkey! It was quickly turning into a bad habit... My surgeon says NO carbonation, ever. He did suggest diet gingle ale, shook till FLAT... but that's something I want when I'm sick. As for caffeine, I'm an addict, but I've cut my coffee/espresso intake down by at least 1/2 very recently. I eventually want to be buzz-free, and not bother with coffee at all, other than maybe an occasional "social" cup (much like someone would "have a beer".... ) It has no nutritional value to me, and it's just another way to add useless fat and calories that don't fill me up and pass right through...and can't rehydrate me. But, the caffeine! beth Happy Valentines' Day! HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 153 GW- 130 http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/ - Updated daily
J H.
on 2/14/05 10:16 pm - Houston, TX
At our last support group meeting the bariatric coordinator for the hospital said drinking carbonated beverages can "damage" our pouches, extend them permanently, etc....you might really want to check on this. That is one thing I refuse to do...Joan
J H.
on 2/14/05 10:35 pm - Houston, TX
Just found this: Carbonated beverages may be detrimental to the long-term success of gastric bypass for the following reasons: ? Carbonation: When the cold beverage is consumed, it warms and releases gases, distending the stomach pouch, stretching of the stomach then creates undue stress and subsequently causes stretching of the anastomosis. ? Caloric intake: Many carbonated beverages are high in calories, are low in nutritional value, and contain simple sugars. Not only do they add additional calories with low nutritional value, but they are absorbed quickly into the blood stream, causing a rapid rise in blood sugar, elevated insulin levels, and increased hunger. BTW, diet colas with aspartame do the same thing!! ? Caffeine: Many carbonated beverages contain caffeine, an appetite stimulant, which is detrimental to initial weight loss and long-term weight control. FYI....don't know the accuracy, but if half of what this says is true...I for one, don't want to find out. What says yee? Joan
Rae Smiles
on 2/14/05 11:17 pm - Mount Airy, MD
Hi Jame, your post has been very helpful for me....prior to surgery, I was a diet pepsi addict....it was MY favorite...I preferred it over any dessert. Recently I have been thinking I would try...just a sip..and see how it goes....after reading your post, I don't think I am even going to try it....sounds like it would be WAY to easy to start back again.... thanks, RAE
acanesfan296
on 2/15/05 12:53 am - Boca Raton, FL
This is some great information you guys have shared! Thanks for the help. I was thinking about this yesterday, and one of the things I remembered was I used to have this terrible chronic cough. Several doctors tested me for many different things, and all were negative. The first few days post surgery were particularly painful because of this cough. Anyhow, about a week later, I noticed one day that it was gone. Completely gone. Now this was a cough that I had had for years. So I'm sure you can guess what's coming next -- the cough is back. I heard once that some people can have an allergic reaction to diet soda with aspartamane, and I think that's my problem! Should know within a week. Yesterday was my first day in awhile with no Diet Coke. I'm really missing it, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought it might be. Thanks again for all your responses.
klhmom3
on 2/15/05 7:47 am - Clovis, CA
I have tried pepsi a few times since surgery. It has made me sick each time. You'd think that I would learn! I pay for it big time! I like you am finding myself hungry all the time latley, but it is not the soda for me! Good luck with cutting the soda out! Trina 4-29-04 269 - 145
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views