side effects of antidepressants

Rondaslosinit
on 2/8/05 12:43 am - Richardson, TX
Is anyone else out there on anti-depressants? I'm on Effexor (300mg) and have a question. I've always heard that antidepressants make you gain weight. Well, I've been on Effexor for quite some time (since way before WLS). My question is, could they be keeping me from losing down to my full potential? Anyone out there know about these things? Ronda
Dedicated
on 2/8/05 1:37 am - Eleva, WI
In general, sometimes antidepressants can contribute to weight gain, in some people. Same is true for birth control pills! Anywho! My doc said that it was probably a minimal issue as far as weight (5 pounds maybe, give or take) and that the benefits emotionally were, in his opinion, worth it. I agreed with him and kept taking my prozac. I would be a mess without it. I'd rather fight for every pound and NOT be a nutcase than to easily lose the weight and feel even worse emotionally. Pick your poison I guess.
Rondaslosinit
on 2/8/05 1:49 am - Richardson, TX
I guess you're right about that. I would pick 5 extra pounds and sanity anyday over what I would be without them! I was thinking it was more like 20 extra lbs. that's why I put this out there. 5 lbs I can handle. Thanks Tina, Ronda
DianneW
on 2/8/05 9:37 am - Louisville, KY
I take prozac, I would talk to your doctor if you're worried about it. To me I definetly need it. Dianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views