My theory about plateaus....

Rondaslosinit
on 2/6/05 9:57 pm - Richardson, TX
Here's my theory and I'm stickin' to it! First of all, I've noticed that my plateaus seem to happen at certain weights that my body has been for long periods of time before. In other words, when I was first at 195 (when I was on my way UP the scales), I was there for a couple of years. Now, on the way down, my body got there and it's like it remembered and said "I think I'll stay here a while, I know how to do this weight". I know it's frustrating but stay with me here.... Secondly, assuming #1 is correct, it takes a while to make change. I remember when I was gaining weight (the first, second, third AND fourth time), I would go through periods of eating "binges". For example, I would get on a donut kick and go to the donut store every morning for a while with seemingly no consequences. Then, after a few weeks, it was like the pounds decided to just jump on board! I think our weight loss is the same. We eat right, excercise, do all the right things with seemingly no results. But then, after a while, it just starts to kick into gear again like our bodies say "I guess it's ok to let go of a few more pounds". So, all this to say.... DON'T EVER GIVE UP! You may think you aren't doing any good so why bother but just remember how those pounds got there to begin with - they lull into letting you think you can eat poorly and not excercise, then BAM , they sneak up on you. Likewise, one day soon, BAM , they'll fall off of me! That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.... What's your theory? Ronda
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/05 10:51 pm - South of Boston, MA
I AGREE totally with this: "...We eat right, excercise, do all the right things with seemingly no results. But then, after a while, it just starts to kick into gear again like our bodies say "I guess it's ok to let go of a few more pounds"...." And, also I'd like to add that when we're eating right & NOT seeing results for long periods of time, it's THAT much easier to STOP doing things the right way and "giving" up a little bit!! It's so easy to just STOP trying, isn't it!!?? b e t h 'For I was never so small as this before...,' thought Alice. 313/298/154/130 http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
sloane
on 2/7/05 1:36 am - New Albany, OH
Ronda, What a great post - I totally agree. I would add a couple of other things: *I think we each have a set point. I need to do some more research but I think based on our age, our family history and our weight history there are places some of us can reach and others can't. I've never been small and have always been overweight so I don't have much to compare it to. But, I'm at 151. My goal is/was 144. I've been battling the same 2 lbs for the last 4 weeks and I'm starting to think based on my factors this may be where I belong. Why battle for 7 lbs? Esp, when I'm thrilled with myself. *I also think it's a total mind game. A lot of the time when we're on a plateau we think we're doing everything right, but when we actually look at what we're eating and what we're expending (through metobolism and exercise) we may not be truthful to ourselves. (which is left over from all of those years of putting ourselves last - anyway, that's another post). I think we don't open ourselves up to eating more/less, exercising more/less, trying new things (healthy carbs, etc.). Just changing it up for a bit (like, 2 weeks) to see what happens. In my discussions, the most successful people are the ones who do everything in moderation from food and exercise to thinking about their weight etc. That's become my new goal with this surgery - try to live a more balanced life. Tandi 246-151-maybe 7 more to go?
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/05 3:19 am - South of Boston, MA
I'm sort of basing my size goal on my mothers' size. She's in her mid-late forties, we're the same height, almost the exact same weight (roughly 2-3 lbs different) We have similar body frames, as well, though she has bigger bones than I do, bigger fingers, feet... She's wearing a straight 10/12 all around, and looks fine. She may lose a few lbs from this point, but overall she's good where she is, and content. She's never been "morbidly obese", her highest weight was about 1 year ago, pushing 180, so she doesn't have the excess skin like I have, of course. I'm 26 now, and she was about my size or smaller at my age, having also had babies, she did put on weight, but not like me. She was 115ish lbs at age 19 when getting married. So, I know realistically, if I hadn't had three children and gained 180 excess pounds, I could get THERE (medically correct body weight), since my body type calls for it. BUT, I had three kids, gained a huuuuuuuuge amount of weight in a short period of time, and now I am very likely just a few pounds away from my maintenance weight. I realize MY PERSONAL goal of 100% excess lost may NOT HAPPEN... even WITH plastic surgery, I may not see 130 or less. I am still going to try. I would be content just to see that I can get in the 140's, since the 150's are so freaking hard to break out of!! After that, it's all icing on the cake. I am so close, but it's hard to tell, cuz I'm living with the shell of the huge person I was. b e t h 'For I was never so small as this before...,' thought Alice. 313/298/154/130 http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
Josie C.
on 2/7/05 1:41 am - High Desert, CA
Oh yeah...I totally agree. My surgeon even told me that the first time I plateaued...of course, I think this is my first true plateau and I am not happy. Trying to stick with it, but like Beth says somedays I feel like jumping ship because it isn't moving even though I am doing everything right.
J H.
on 2/7/05 6:18 am - Houston, TX
Yes, I agree. adn it is easy to give up. After last weeks doctors visit and my turning the scale back I find that I am frustrated again....feel like I took a couple of steps back and didn't eat well over the weekend. pathetic!!!! I feel blah again.....and it is so because of eating horribly...less protein...less water, etc... Joan
Rondaslosinit
on 2/7/05 12:04 pm - Richardson, TX
OK Joan, we can help each other get out of this slump and back on track! Tomorrow - lots of water, good protein, etc. I'm making a committment! You with me? Ronda
Rachelq
on 2/7/05 9:18 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Yep and yep. Before surgery I made a list of all of the weights I thought I'd plataeu at. So far its been dead on. The weight I'm at now is the thinnest I'd ever gotten after babies. My body seems to be a bit confused about getting past it. And yes, there are delays in gains and loses as I have seen it too!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views