Addicted to POPCORN! Scared...

Cuffytar C.
on 2/4/05 3:17 am - Norwalk, CT
OK - now I'm officially scared. I have been eating popcorn with a passion now for about 2 weeks. I used to be so very strict with my eating - only protein, veggies, fruit and very little in-between snacks. And now that my ankles don't swell from salt anymore, I feel I've been given free reign to eat salty foods! Just today AFTER I had my cup of chili for lunch, I had 1 + 1/2 BAGS of microwave popcorn. I actually gave 4 bags of the stuff to my friend last week, but of course I went out and bought 2 6-packs to replace them. This is really the old habits attacking. I'm afraid I'm going to get further out of control and lose ground. I'd really like to calm down and continue my good eating course. This kind of eating is really emotionally aggressive. I can feel it when I eat this way. Man, I SO do not want to feel this way about food again. It's such an evil way to be. I'm really afraid. Any advice? I'd appreciate some reassurance. Many thanks. Linda. 334/201
janiej
on 2/4/05 6:35 am - Independence, IA
I'm loving popcorn too much also. I buy the small micro bags at WalMart, eat it and be done. Sometimes I'd like more, but will not pop another bag. I think they're like 1.75 ounces. I'm also trying to cut this down to just a couple times a week. Good luck. Janie 272/163/140?
Josie C.
on 2/4/05 7:21 am - High Desert, CA
I wish I had some advice...popcorn is one of my trigger foods...under no cir****tances is it to pass through my front door... I have only had it once since surgery and that was at a movie theater...my poor date didn't get hardly any...I must of scarfed it all as soon as the lights dimmed. Wish I could be some help...but maybe they could come up with a 12 step plan for "Popcorn Addicts"
thin_tyme
on 2/4/05 7:48 am - WY
Hey Linda, I do know how you feel. I am too addicted to popcorn. I thought that I could stopt eating it after only a serving but boy was I wrong. I have decided that I have to just give it up cold turkey( then I went out and bought a popper today that was smart of me) I also was told about glenny's Low fat soy crisps. I have found that those help me when in a crunch for popcorn. By the way I haven't given it up cold turkey yet, so "shrug" I don't know. Bad bad habit, if you can stop I guess it's ok, but I can't. It's my chocolate I guess. Good luck Mechelle 283/171.5/140
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/05 8:00 am - South of Boston, MA
Popcorn is a big no-no in my house. I can't have in near me, or I'll want it, lust after it, eat it, eat too much. So, if we have do "have to" have it, it's in kernels in a big container, and I have to make it the old fashioned way, in a pan on the stove. That's generally enough reason not to bother. It's relatively healthy this way, using limited oil to pop, and no butter... but still... it's work! The kids love to do it though, so I make it for them very rarely. If that isn't reason enough, the fact that it breaks down to nothing and we can consume way too much is a good enough reason... and the way I like my popcorn, buttery and salty is also a reason to avoid it... Popcorn is corn, and converts to sugar when it metabolizes, giving relatively no nutrition... so it's a empty choice food-wise... but better than other things we *could* be eating instead, like, doritos, cheetos?? Movie theater popcorn, OTOH, is like a one way ticket to a heart attack, the oil-o-butter-lard-hydrogenated oil they use is just horrid for us... The one time I did cave and try it, I got ill anyways. So- I miss it- but not really! Well, maaaaaaaaaybe I miss "Poppy****"... b e t h 'For I was never so small as this before...,' thought Alice. 313/298/156/130 http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
Rachelq
on 2/4/05 11:09 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Linda, First, thanks for this post. I have been thinking that it would be nice to have popcorn on hand when I feel snacky...now I know to stay away! You saved me! Second, I know how you feel...my food demons are creeping up on me and as i mention in my profile, I'm not re-prorammed enough to deal with it yet! Third, ideas on what to do. Well, I write a food plan at the beginning of every week. If the item is not on the plan it doesn't get eaten. Does it work all the time...heck no! but it gives me a leg up. Another idea would to be to invest in some healty protien snack alternatives. There are a lot of crunchy, munchy protien items on the market. Kay's naturals sells some great chip/cracker like things. I think the website is kaysnaturals. Hope this helps a bit, Rachel
Rae Smiles
on 2/6/05 8:13 am - Mount Airy, MD
I LOVE popcorn and eat the 94% fatfree micro popcorn....I am amazed at how much I can eat before I feel full....but for me, I consider it a "healthy snack"...way better than chips or other fatty snacks. Granted, it is easy to eat "too much" but I would really miss popcorn and would probably graze trying to get rid of my craving for popcorn.... I understand the carb counters not liking popcorn, but without butter, it is a snack with incredibly low calories and fat...although NOT very vitamin/protein friendly.... I have given up ALL sugar, sodas, chewing gum, fried foods, almost all bread and am not willing to part with my one vice, popcorn. RAE
Angela B.
on 2/6/05 12:46 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Hi Linda~ Popcorn is my absolute favorite food so there is no way I will be giving it up. If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life I would have a hard time not picking it! I too buy the "snack" size bags that are 94% fat free (I like the Pop Secret Kettle Corn and Butter). I eat such a small amount of carbs that I do not feel bad about my small indulgence. I do not eat more than one bag a day (usually 3-4 a week) and I do not allow myself to eat it after 8pm. I don't want to wake up with it still hanging around in my tummy! Good luck to you! Angela
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views