Fruits?

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/05 9:26 pm - South of Boston, MA
Ok gang. I'm not a fruit-eater, never ever have been. I hate most fruits in their natural state due to the texture... BUT.... I adore most pureed... Catch my drift? I'd like to add pureed fruits to my shakes or even just eat "baby" fruits, I do *not drink fruit juice in any form, it just seemed a waste for me, and the sugars are soooo high... Anyways- I am a dumper- what, if any, fruits cause dumping with any of you? How much do you eat before it's in the "danger" zone? I obviously know to avoid anything packed in syrups/sugars/etc... out of a can... but I did buy canned peaches/pears with splenda... and frozen strawberries, raspberries.... unsweetened applesauce... How many natural sugars can you tolerate from fruit? It's confusing... I added pureed berries to my yogurt drink last night, and was in heaven... I felt a wee bit dumpy after finishing the entire concoction, so I wanted to see what might happen.... I used 1/2C total of berries... -beth
Rachelq
on 2/2/05 10:35 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hmmm...well I'm not much of dumper...so I don't know if this will help Bananas, I can eat 1/4 of a small one before I get a stomach ache Cherries....haven't found a limit thus far Apples...half to all of a small one is ok grapes - haven't found a limit Oranges - a couple of wedges Applesauce - I can eat the little cup size the come in Thats about all I tried. Good Luck, Rachel
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/05 12:09 am - South of Boston, MA
Thanks, Rachel... I'm hoping most won't make me dump, because the natural sweetness seemed to cure my craving.... what a miracle that was... Who knew!? Maybe I can kill the carb/chocolate/candy monkey on my back for good with some good substitutions! -beth
Rondaslosinit
on 2/3/05 12:35 am - Richardson, TX
I'm not really much of a dumper either but the one TRUE dumping episode I had was from watermelon! Oooowweeeeeee! One thing to know abou****ermelon is, the longer it sits in the refrigerator, the more concentrated the sugars become - evidentally. I don't know if that is true with other fruits though. I can tolerate most fruits with no problem but I don't dare try frozen fruits that are sweetened (like strawberries). I've had bananas, apples, pears, oranges. all with no problems. Ronda
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/05 1:37 am - South of Boston, MA
Egads, no the frozen fruit I have is the bagged quick-frozen loose berries. For the price of one pint of strawberries here, I figured that frozen would be the way to go, especially since I tend to add them to shakes, or the girls eat them plain thawed, and DH likes them with a taste of splenda... -beth
Rae Smiles
on 2/3/05 12:55 am - Mount Airy, MD
I love fruit and too was concerned about the natural sugars...but, no worries yet.... banana: can eat an entire small one apple: can eat a small one...can NOT finish a large(r) one oranges: can eat half before I am full grapes...no problem berries: no problem at all and I just finished a small SF applesauce... I do enjoy fruit juices but typically do not bother because of the calories....but always SF/no sugar added....I did have some no sugar added orange juice the other day....no problems. RAE
Rae Smiles
on 2/3/05 12:55 am - Mount Airy, MD
I love fruit and too was concerned about the natural sugars...but, no worries yet.... banana: can eat an entire small one apple: can eat a small one...can NOT finish a large(r) one oranges: can eat half before I am full grapes...no problem berries: no problem at all and I just finished a small SF applesauce... I do enjoy fruit juices but typically do not bother because of the calories....but always SF/no sugar added....I did have some no sugar added orange juice the other day....no problems. RAE
Josie C.
on 2/3/05 1:27 am - High Desert, CA
I just recently started testing the waters with fruit, but I am not normally a dumper either...so far in 1/2c increments I can handle: (fresh) Cantalope Cherries Watermelon Pineapple (1/4c) Blackberries (1/4c) Mixed Dried fruit (1/4 c) cherries, strawberries, banana chips, mango, pineapple, rasins, cranberries My pouchie did not like bananas...
Buttonsmom
on 2/3/05 11:56 am - Brighton, MI
Geez...I think I am in trouble. I can eat 1 large banana with no problem...every night before I go to bed. Can eat 2 clementine...no problem. Ate a whole orange today. No dumping whatsoever on any of this. Do you think I am in trouble with my pouch? Tracey
ruthdebra
on 2/4/05 12:48 am - Palm Springs, CA
No - I don't think that you're in trouble at all. The thing about fruit is that there is a high concentration of water so that goes through the pouch pretty quickly. I've dumped on watermelon badly - thought I could eat more because it squished down. But the sugar content was high so ...... I have fruit as desert - and am trying to listen to the rules that include "no snacking." The leader of my support group really is firm about this rule - no strong flavors between meals. No snacking. So I'm incorporating fruit into my regular food plan. It's going well. Ruth
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views