Daily Vitamin...Opinions

Josie C.
on 1/31/05 2:58 am - High Desert, CA
Hi everybody, Just looking for opinions...I am just about out of my regular daily vitamin and it is time to refill my cabinet. So I've been thinking of trying One-A-Day's Carb Smart vitamin...it is supposed to help with the processing of food for those on a high protein/low carb lifestyle. I pretty much fit in that category. My blood tests have been fine and no changes are required, but I'm always looking for ways to improve. So what do you think? Take Care,
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/05 3:23 am - South of Boston, MA
I just peeked at the website... I guess you could ask the doctor if it makes any difference? It can't hurt! _____________________________________________________________ Complete Multivitamin for Your Low-Carb Lifestyle Plus More?: Breaks down fats and proteins you eat into energy with more? Biotin.* Higher? levels of key nutrients you need when restricting carbs. Complete Multivitamin Formulated For Your Low-Carb Lifestyle You're following a low-carb approach to what you eat and it's really working for you. But did you know that as you eat less carbs, you might not be getting a balance of nutrients your body needs for health and vitality? That's why One-A-Day has created CarbSmart, a complete multivitamin with higher? levels of essential vitamins and minerals you may need when restricting carbs. Plus, One-A-Day CarbSmart contains more? Biotin - a key nutrient that helps break down the fats and proteins you're eating into the energy your body needs.* ?Refers to Biotin as well as beta carotene, Vitamins C, E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, zinc, and selenium as compared to Centrum®. Complete Multivitamin that contains essential vitamins and minerals you may be lacking which are found in carbohydrate-rich foods, including: B Vitamins found in fortified grains, like bread and pasta Antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables Potassium and Calcium found in milk Q. What is Biotin? A. Biotin is a member of the B-vitamin family and is an essential nutrient to human nutrition. Biotin works with your body to produce energy by helping to break down the fats and proteins in your diet. Biotin helps your body to get energy from the food you're eating. Back to Top Q. Are there other products that contain Biotin? A. Some multivitamins do contain a small amount of Biotin. Our One-A-Day Maximum, Active, Men's Health Formula and 50 Plus all contain lower levels of Biotin (30 mcg). One-A-Day CarbSmart, however, contains 450 mcg (15 times more than most multivitamins) and 150% of the daily value. The higher level of Biotin in CarbSmart is an important part of the specially formulated ingredients for consumers on a low-carb diet. Biotin helps break down the fats and proteins you eat into energy. In addition to more Biotin, CarbSmart has been specially formulated with higher levels of key nutrients like B Vitamins and antioxidants, which are nutrients that consumers may be lacking when restricting carbohydrates. Back to Top Q. Are high levels of Biotin appropriate in a multivitamin? A. The level of Biotin in One-A-Day CarbSmart of 450 mcg is appropriate and offers optimal benefits to consumers on a low carb diet. While the Biotin is 150% of the Daily Value, the level is consistent with IOM recommendations. Back to Top Q. Is One-A-Day CarbSmart Safe? A. Yes. The health of our consumers is our top priority. CarbSmart contains ingredients that have long been used in dietary supplements and other products and have established safety records. Back to Top Q. How does Biotin work in my body? A. While working to control your weight with a low carb lifestyle you may find that you are eating more protein and fats than you have in the past. Before your body can use the foods that you are eating for energy and other functions, the fat and protein must be broken down. Biotin works with your body to produce energy by helping to breakdown the fats and proteins from your diet. Back to Top Q. Does CarbSmart contain Carbohydrates? A. One-A-Day CarbSmart is considered carb free (less than 0.5 grams). Back to Top Q. What is considered a low-carb diet? A. Generally speaking, a low-carb diet limits the percent of calories in the diet derived from carbohydrates. The FDA is in the process of redefining the guidelines for a low-carb diet. Back to Top Q. How is CarbSmart different from other Multivitamins? A. Consumers eating a low-carb diet may be lacking essential nutrients that are found in carbohydrate-rich foods, including: - B Vitamins found in fortified grains, like bread and pasta - Antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables - Potassium and Calcium found in milk One-A-Day CarbSmart is specially designed with higher levels of these specific ingredients to help balance the nutrients your body needs for health and vitality. Plus, CarbSmart contains more Biotin, to help break down fats and proteins you eat into energy. Back to Top Q. How does One-A-Day CarbSmart compare to OAD WeightSmart? A. CarbSmart is for consumers who are following a low-carb lifestyle. WeightSmart is for consumers who are looking to enhance their metabolism while they work to control their weight. Both formulas are complete multivitamins for general nutritional support. Neither product is a weight loss product. Back to Top Q. How does One-A-Day CarbSmart compare to the rest of the One-A-Day line? A. CarbSmart is the most recent product by One-A-Day. As the multivitamin with more for your health, One-A-Day strives to deliver a complete multivitamin plus a specific ingredient that addresses a specific health need. A list of our latest multivitamins include, - CarbSmart Complete Multivitamin + More Biotin for low-carb lifestyles - WeightSmart Complete Multivitamin + EGCG/Green Tea Extract for metabolism - Men's Health Formula Complete Multivitamin + Lycopene for prostate health - Women's Complete Multivitamin + Calcium for bone strength - Today Complete Multivitamin + Soy for heart and bones - Active Complete Multivitamin + Ginseng for energy Back to Top Q. Is One-A-Day CarbSmart a new product or a re-formulation? A. Not only is One-A-Day CarbSmart a new product, it is one of the first multivitamins designed specifically for people following a low-carb lifestyle. It is a complete multivitamin plus it is the leading brand that contains higher levels of Biotin to help break down fats and proteins you eat into energy. It also includes higher levels of key B vitamins and Antioxidants you may need when restricting carbs. Back to Top Q. Will this product help control my weight? A. No. This is a complete multivitamin supplement that contains higher levels of key nutrients you may need when restricting carbohydrates from your diet, including: ? B Vitamins found in fortified grains, like bread and pasta ? Antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables ? Potassium and Calcium found in milk Back to Top Q. Is this product for men or women? A. One-A-Day CarbSmart is for all adult consumers who are restricting their carbohydrates. Back to Top Q. Can a teenager use this product? A. We have designed this product for consumers 18 years of age and older. Back to Top Q. Where can I find One-A-Day CarbSmart? A. CarbSmart can be found in the Multivitamin section of your local store. In select stores, CarbSmart may also be located in a Low-Carb section designed specifically for consumers who are on a low-carb diet. Back to Top Q. I am using One-A-Day WeightSmart but I am on a low-carb diet. Which will provide optimal benefits for me, WeightSmart or new One-A-Day CarbSmart? A. One-A-Day WeightSmart and One-A-Day CarbSmart are multivitamin/multimineral supplements to the foods you eat each day. If you are on a low-carb diet, One-A-Day CarbSmart is designed to more-specifically meet the needs of your low-carb lifestyle. Back to Top Q. Is it safe for me to take both One-A-Day WeightSmart and One-A-Day CarbSmart to get the benefits of both? A. While there is no safety issue, we recommend you finish your supply of one formula (1 tablet daily), then choose the One-A-Day formula that best meets your dietary needs. Back to Top Q. I have been using One-A-Day WeightSmart and want to switch over to your new One-A-Day CarbSmart formula. Is that safe to do? A. Yes. One-A-Day CarbSmart and One-A-Day WeightSmart are multivitamin/multimineral supplements to the foods you eat each day. If you are following a low-carb diet, we recommend that you finish your supply of One-A-Day WeightSmart, taking one tablet daily, then begin using One-A-Day CarbSmart. Q. I've heard the name CarbSmart before - do you manufacture other CarbSmart products? A. No. The name CarbSmart has been licensed from a third party and is used on our One-A-Day CarbSmart product, a multivitamin for your low-carb lifestyle. _____________________________________________________________ Beth 'How puzzling all these changes are,' said Alice. 'I'm never sure what I am going to be from one minute to another. However, I've got back to my right size: the next thing is to get into that beautiful garden.' HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 154 GW- 130 -159 lbs and counting! http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
Dawn C.
on 1/31/05 4:19 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I personally think it's a marketing ploy. My doctor's basic opinion is that vitamins are cheap so don't go paying for special ones that are really the same. She doesn't believe in the vitamins marketed for bariatric patients either. I just take Sam's club brands Centrum version. I buy my iron at the pharmacy because it's super cheap ($3 for 100) also my 15 mg zinc tablets. I think they are $2.65 for 50. I would talk to your doctor before you spend extra money on something that may not work any differently. Dawn
Just Janice
on 1/31/05 4:20 am - Houston, TX
Please, check to make sure they dissolve quickly...some vitamins are coated in so much lacquer, that they don't dissolve for us. A good test is to put one in vinegar. It should disolve rather quickly...We tried this with one a bariatric nurse (the viamin went in the vinegar, not the nurse...) and it didn't dissole. Next week, she sent out an e-mail saying it was still there...not good at all!!! Janice
Dawn C.
on 1/31/05 4:44 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Janice, That's a good idea. Tonight I am going to do a little scientific experiment with all my vitamins. My husband will surely think I am off my rocker now. Like he didn't before... Dawn
Karen S.
on 1/31/05 5:43 am - Island Lake, IL
I use the OptiSource from Walgreens. They seem to work fine for me & are chewable. makes a nice treat during the day. Karen
Rondaslosinit
on 1/31/05 6:22 am - Richardson, TX
I love my liquid vitamins! I know they get absorbed better than tablets. I use "Doctors Brand" and I buy them online at doctorsbrand.com. Ronda
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/05 7:12 am - South of Boston, MA
I take children's gummy bear vitamins. They are essentially candy with vitamins in 'em. I adore them. Those and the Viactivs are my candy fixes. Beth 'How puzzling all these changes are,' said Alice. 'I'm never sure what I am going to be from one minute to another. However, I've got back to my right size: the next thing is to get into that beautiful garden.' HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 154 GW- 130 -159 lbs and counting! http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
thin_tyme
on 1/31/05 9:37 am - WY
I eat 4 children's chewable vitamins a day, 2 in the a.m and 2 in the p.m Mechelle
petel
on 1/31/05 11:10 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Josie, I have been taking Bariatric Advantage chewable vitamins since my surgery in April. They taste good and are specifically designed for Bariatric patients so they absorb well. I take two calcium chewables in the morning. two multiples in the afternoon and one iron at night. My bloodwork has always been good and I feel great so I guess they are working for me. THe other good thing about them is they renew them automatilcally so I get a new package in the mail each month. Good luck, Pete
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views