WLS - easy way?

Rondaslosinit
on 1/28/05 9:56 pm - Richardson, TX
OK, I'm trying to be understanding and trying to hold my tongue but I just have to vent! The other day, an old acquaintance saw me for the first time in about 7 months so, as you could guess, she was shocked. She told me how wonderful I looked (which still always blows me away!) and asked me how much I had lost. I told her that I had lost about 100 lbs. She said "Did you do it on your own?". WHAT?!! No, my neighbor did it for me, I just went along for the ride! Instead I said "Well, yes I did it on my own but I did have some help with gastric bypass surgery". The look on her face was one of "Oh, well, you did it the easy way" as if somehow it doesn't count! ARGHHH!!! I absolutely hate it when people totally discount the fact that I get my butt off the couch 4 days a week to workout and I now have to watch everything that goes in my mouth. I preplan all my meals (well, I should), take mega vitamins to fight the new disease of malabsporption that I traded for the old one-morbid obesity. I'll never be able to eat dairy again because of this new systemic reaction I have to casein protein in cow's milk from the surgery. I stay away from starchy foods and sugars, etc. If that sounds easy, then we have nothing further to talk about! (THAT'S WHAT I REALLY WANTED TO SAY) Thanks for letting me vent! (this is a copy of one of my posts on my profile - thought I should share it here) Ronda
Rae Smiles
on 1/28/05 10:26 pm - Mount Airy, MD
Hi Ronda...justing reading your post makes my heart race....geez, none of us dropped off our bodies at the dry cleaners and picked up a different thinner body...geez.... anyway, I have had a few similar situations....and my first reaction is to argue with them...doesn't work, so I found a better way (for me) to deal with negative folks.....it helps me to agree with them.....something like this....and BTW, I do it in such a nice way with a smile on my face.... Moran: so, you gave in and did it the easy way... Me: The easy way? yep, it sure was...cost us 25,000 out of our own pocket....have you seen my scar? Let me show you...it looks pretty good doesn't it? It is only about 10 inches, really....did I mention that I have to eat every 3 hours otherwise I pass out because my blood pressure drops so low....yep, oh, BTW, I was in the hosptial for 4 days and missed 6 weeks of work...yep, it sure has been easy on me....oh, BTW I can't have any sugar...nope, no cake, cookies, pies for me.....oh, and I can't chew gum or drink diet pepsi anymore...yep, it was my two favorite things before..chewing gum and drinking diet pepsi nonstop.....yep, sure was the easy way.....oh, I appreciate all the love, concern and support I have gotten.... usually, half way through they realize what an a@(&)@& they have been and back off...personally, I don't care what they think of me, but I'll be damned if they are going to throw it in my face.... I have backed off from a few "friends" because of their negative attitude....Did I give my friends grief because they made a life altering decision...marriage, divorce, boob job (smaller and/or larger), nose job, bought an new car, spent more than they earned, allowed their 13 year old daughter to date a 17 year old guy....nope, notta word from me, so now it is their turn to "keep their mouth shut".... as you can tell this is a sore point for me.... Ronda, I am so sorry that you were subjected to her uninformed unsolisited opinion.... and because of my new workout schedule I think I have less time to socialize...especially with dimwits. Congrats Ronda on MAKING a decision about your life and best wishes for continued success on your journey...you are an inspiration to ANYONE getting healthy(ier) and fit. RAE
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/05 10:59 pm - South of Boston, MA
Not the day to mess with Ronda! Or me. ROOOOOOOOAR! :angry: I know where you're coming from! Beth 'How puzzling all these changes are,' said Alice. 'I'm never sure what I am going to be from one minute to another. However, I've got back to my right size: the next thing is to get into that beautiful garden.' HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 155 GW- 130 http://meltingmama.blogpsot.com/
Rondaslosinit
on 1/28/05 11:18 pm - Richardson, TX
Oh, (she says in a lilting voice) does it show? (batting eyelashes) LOL Actually I feel much better now that I "shared"! tee hee Ronda
irisheyes
on 1/29/05 12:07 am - Harmony, MN
Hi Ronda, I've been there too. Most of the time i don't know the person real well, and I am asked that question I just say "yes I did it on my own.....eat less exercise more" But I have been in you situation, and boy does it make my blood boil. I just want to look at them and say: I didn't just wake up one morning and decide that I was going to have gastric bypass...I took me 4 years to decide this and in the mean time i tried like hell to lose weight....it was one of the hardest decisions i've ever had to make....I've had to change everything in my life....how I eat, when I eat, what I eat...making sure I don't redevolpe my bad habbits....not an easy thing to do. but thanks for your input..(a$$hole) wow...I guess I had that bottled up inside me for awhile...I feel so much better... Katie
Donna Paige
on 1/29/05 12:34 am - Pottstown, PA
It really ticks me off when someone says that crap to me. They can't even imagine how truly hard it is. Quite frankly I could care less about their darn opionion. I've lost it before gained it back and this trip is even harder than the first one. Fortunate for me everyone that I work with and my friends and family have been nothing but supportive. I've even told them I'm trading my large rump for a HUGE HEAD(from all the compliments) LOL!!! Donna 339/189/130
Donna R
on 1/29/05 2:02 am - Paducah, KY
This is the reason NO ONE but my family and one friend knows I had WLS, I don't want them policing me or giving me unwanted advice which they are ignorant about. I did not tell anyone when I had my tubes tied and did not have anymore kids so I dont think its anyones business about my WLS, they all just think I have been on a really really strict diet and I walk a lot, all is true anyway!!! They see me at restaraunts and church functions. They can see what I am eating and have even asked me about my loss, mostly I just say NO WHITE foods, no sugar and I walk 3 miles a day. Donna 277/176/150
Rondaslosinit
on 1/29/05 2:29 am - Richardson, TX
I have an idea for a pat answer we could always give to those people. We could say: "Yes, it is a common misconception among people who don't know much about this surgery to think that this is the easy way to lose weight. Unfortunately, that couldn't be further from the truth. If you are interested, I'd be glad to explain more about it but suffice it to say - YES, I've done it myself!" That way it shuts them up, it is the truth and sets them straight without being rude. What do you think? Ronda
Elfie
on 1/29/05 12:07 pm - Norfolk, VA
I have had people tell me I look great and how did I do it, well I tell them I changed my eating habits, drinks lots of water, and work with a nutritionist, work out 4 x a week.. ALL are true -But I dont tell everyone i had suregery -- noone needs to know your personal business... We know we all have issues which makes us canidates but on the other hand you tell have to tell ALL of your business.
sloane
on 1/30/05 2:38 am - New Albany, OH
Ronda, This is ridiculous! I can't believe these people - it's just complete uneducation. But, I'll tell you a couple of people have made me feel worse about my surgery than I did being overweight. It's riduculous. I just ignore them of course. And find satisfaction in my new healthy self Thanks for sharing. Tandi 246-151-same 7 lbs to goal
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views