Protein powders

Dawn C.
on 1/17/05 10:58 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Okay I have a question. I see that some people put protein powder in their coffee and different types of food. My question is does the protein "break down" if the food reaches a certain temperature? I just bought some GNC unflavored 100 whey and now I don't know what to do with it. I was thinking fruit smoothies. I have heard of people doing that. Also putting it in soup or chili. I was thinking of trying my chocolate in my decaf coffee. I sometimes mix a packet of sf hot chocolate with 1 T. instant decaf for a "mocha". Would the protein work? Might have to add a splenda to it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dawn 287/199 and stuck!/160ish
Just Janice
on 1/17/05 11:05 am - Houston, TX
Great question Dawn! I never have done protein powders, but I have been curious about this as well. It seems that a high temperature may need to be sustained for an extended period of time in order for the protein to be broken down or denatured and rendered useless. I mean, our bodies are 98.6 degrees, fairly warm, and protein doesn't break down on/in us unless it encounters the right enzymes. Does the protein container have any warnings on it about using with boiling water or anything? Maybe you could check out their website, may have info there. Sorry I couldn't help, but I am going to keep an eye on this as I am curious.... Janice nosey, nosey girl
(deactivated member)
on 1/17/05 11:09 am - South of Boston, MA
Dawn, From what I've read, protein powders will be fine up to "coffee-pot" hot... after which they'll break down. Also, they're good for 30 minutes after mixing, so drink fast! After 30 minutes, they can grow bacteria and lose potency. I wish I had thought of adding a little something to all my drinks all this time, and just now did I start! Go figure. If I had known I could use powders in my coffee, I'd probably have some hair left right about now, -beth Someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar, someday I'll be so damn much more than my body gives me credit for. Why is it not my time? What is there more to learn? Shed this skin I've been tripping in, never to quite return... -J. Mayer 313.298.156.130 My new journal: http://journals.aol.com/bethlbutterfly/MeltingMama
Sue B
on 1/17/05 12:33 pm - WI
In the beginning I had added the protein powders to everything - the chocolate is great for a "Mocha" coffee, and I used the unflavored in all my cream soups - mixed it in my mashed potatos & pretty much anywhere I could put it & disgiuse the favor ... I should probably start doing that again. Good point about the temperature - I had never thought about it before! That BETH is SO smart! Makes me jealous! Sue 318/200/180 RNY 4/27/04
Marie_B.
on 1/17/05 2:58 pm - Milwaukee, WI
I experimented with GNC's 100% Whey Protein - Chocolate. Since I commute to work an hour each way, I wanted something warm on the way to work this winter and tried to microwave the chocolate protein shake I make. Although GNC's suggestion is to mix the powder with water (which I think is totally discusting ) I mix the whey protein with skim milk. After mixing the protein and milk, I put it in a mug and microwaved it. As the first 30 seconds went by, the foam head started to increase . After about a minute and a half, it nearly overflowed . I shut it off and gave it a stir - not bad. I did the same thing at work and microwaved it for 3 min to get it nice and hot...it came out looking like chocolate cottage cheese. Ewwww! If you heat it slowly, I think it will be okay. Warming it up is nice for us folks in the great white north (especially when the temp hasn't risen above 10 degrees in the past few days!). Hope this helps . Marie B. -125
Rachelq
on 1/17/05 7:52 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I tried adding protien to coffee and it 'gummed' up and was totally disgusting. I know there are ways to get it not to do it...but in my world, it was all to complicated I only use unflavored protein on things if I can't make a proper protein meal. So If I'm eating oatmeal for bfast, I'll add protein to it. Otherwise I'm trying to get my protein from food. I also use liquid protein in my water from time to time. It*****h flavored (and I add splenda to it) and I get it from GNC. There was some concern about how fast the liquid protien would break down once the bottle was open, but according to my surgeons office and a nutritionist (that is specifically doing studys on protien), it is fine as long as its kept in the fridge. Ta, Rachel
Dawn C.
on 1/17/05 9:08 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for all the replys. This morning I made a mocha. I heated my milk in the microwave then added a scoop of chocolate protein and 1 T. decaf instant coffee plus 2 splenda packets. I like stuff sweet plus the protein drink is NOT sweet. It was pretty good. Tasted almost like my hot chocolate & decaf coffee mocha. I also have banana creme that I may try adding to my oatmeal. I haven't used the powders in a while but am trying to bump up my protein to get the scale movin' so we'll see if it works. Thanks again, Dawn
Rondaslosinit
on 1/17/05 11:29 pm - Richardson, TX
Dawn, I haven't figured out how to mix it with hot coffee without it getting all yukky. (that's a scientific term you know). I think the Vanilla Unjury instructions say to only mix it in liquids that are 130° or less. I usually mix it in iced decaf coffee. By using the Vanilla, it tastes sweet enough for me so I don't usually use splenda but you could. Ronda
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views