Carbs - How Many??

Sissy N
on 1/13/05 12:27 am - Hesperia, CA
Help - How many carbs are we suppose to get each day? I've heard less than 20 and also no more than 40. Trying to watch them a lot more to start losing again, and would like to know what everyone else is doing Thanks Sissy
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/05 2:33 am - South of Boston, MA
Hi Sissy- I aim for under 20-25G of carbs a day. Roughly, it's the equivalent of two cinnamon graham crackers. Don't ask why I know this NOW.. :-/ I'm trying to follow the Atkins Induction phase, basically have been since the beginning, but every time I add in any sort of junk, I don't lose, so it's all proteins all the time now. The thing about Atkins is, I am a coffee/artificial sweetener addict... I need to drop the artificial sweeteners, as they most definitely push my carb intake WAY over the limit. One packet = 1 carb... x'e 3 coffees a day, crystal lights, diet drinks, light "juices", etc, etc... really adds up. I'm willing to bet that if I dropped all fake sugars and kept avoiding real sugars, I'd lose much faster. It's so hard! Here's a snippet of info about carb-intake and why it induces weight loss... "If you severely restrict carbs, your body goes into a state of ketosis--burning fat with the subsequent production of ketone bodies in the bloodstream. The condition is called "ketonuria" if ketones are spilled out into the urine. The result of ketosis is that your blood sugar levels stabilize; your insulin level drops; and because your body is burning fat, you lose weight! You can easily test to see if your diet is inducing ketosis with the use of inexpensive ketone test strips. And these rules from Atkins: Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating. (I do about 5 smallish meals, I'm always hungry) Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed). Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three loosely packed cups of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see Acceptable Foods). (started eating two cups of mixed leafy greens a day, I've actually gone potty!) Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time. Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins. Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements. Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate--instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a carbohydrate gram counter. Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing. Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs. Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar. Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat. If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables. At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. Extra Cautions Stay away from diet products unless they specifically state "no carbohydrates." Most such foods are for low-fat diets, not controlled carbohydrate plans. The words sugarless, sugar-free or "no sugar added" are not sufficient. The label must state the carbohydrate content; that's what you must go by. Many products you do not normally think of as foods, such as chewing gum, breath mints, cough syrups and cough drops, are filled with sugar or other caloric sweeteners. They must be avoided. Be wary of prepared salads at salad bars or deli counters. For example, cole slaw or even tuna-fish salad may have been prepared with sugar. When your diet causes your body to go into a state of ketosis, you are said to be on a ketogenic diet. For most people, restricting your carbohydrate intake to fewer than 30 grams a day will induce ketonuria. Most people on ketogenic diets lose weight fairly quickly. However, although some diet experts believe that ketosis is a safe condition, it is not necessary to be in ketosis to lose weight. Keep in mind, however, that when you choose a higher level of carbohydrates than what is needed to bring on ketosis, you may have to limit your total food intake (calories) somewhat in order to lose weight. Also, for diabetics who are not obese, it certainly is not necessary to induce ketosis to reap the benefits of a low-carb diet. It is quite possible to bring your blood glucose levels under control without being in ketosis. However, if you must lose considerable weight, a ketogenic diet is the most efficient method for bringing your weight back down to where it should be." ____________________________________________________________ -beth 313/298/156buttryinglikehell!/130 Someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar, someday I'll be so damn much more than my body gives me credit for. Why is it not my time? What is there more to learn? Shed this skin I've been tripping in, never to quite return... -J. Mayer http://journals.aol.com/bethlbutterfly/MeltingMama/
Rondaslosinit
on 1/14/05 4:29 am - Richardson, TX
Every doc is different (how many times have you heard that one?). Mine insists that we get at least 130g of the right kind of carbs per day. He believes in a balanced diet- proteins, carbs, and fats. (seems like I'm missing something). Oh well, I've been eating about 100g of good carbs (not starchy carbs) per day and have lost 100 lbs in 9 months so it is working for me. Ronda
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/05 7:22 am - South of Boston, MA
Ronda- If I don't start losing soon, I'm gonna add carbs back in, damnit! What do you eat in a typical day? Wondering what a balanced diet looks like--- I haven't been there in, ummm, perhaps forever?? -beth Down -157 lbs, 26 to gooo!
Rondaslosinit
on 1/14/05 3:53 pm - Richardson, TX
Hi Beth, I know what you mean about the balanced diet thing. It is a learning process for me too. My doc sends us to nutrition classes with a registered dietician at 6 weeks, 6 months, and one year. I don't have my information right in front of me so I'm going from memory but ..... She says that at each meal you should have both carbs AND protein. There is something about not having an all carb meal or all protein meal that is important. I think the balance she recommends is 50% protein, 40% carbs. I'll look that up tomorrow and tell you if I'm wrong. A typical day (when I'm being good) is : Breakfast: coffee and - egg and toast with butter; OR oatmeal and toast with Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter; OR a banana with all natural peanut butter; OR Go Lean cereal with Rice Milk; OR maybe just a protein drink if I'm in a hurry or don't want to eat Lunch: I use my George Foreman grill a lot. 2-3 oz. of meat (remember I can't eat dairy) made either alone or as a 1/2 sandwich on 1 slice wheat bread, apple or banana or salad snack: nuts; or iced coffee with Vanilla flavored Unjury; or maybe rice crackers with goat cheese; or beef jerky (I would have a protein bar here if I could find one that isn't made with milk products) or those little baby carrots Dinner: 3-4 oz of meat and veggies (whatever I fix for my family); or a salad with grilled chicken and O&V dressing; occasionally (rarely actually), I'll have a little bit of pasta with marinara and meatballs and 1/2 slice garlic bread but I can't handle much pasta (only 2-3 bites). Sometimes I'll have 1/3 baked potato as my veggie. That probably doesn't add up right but it's late and I can't remember anything else. I used to really worry about eating so many carbs because everyone keeps saying that they "only eat 20 - 40 carbs" but when I was losing weight AND eating carbs, I decided not to worry. The dietician says that it takes a minimum of 130g per day just for brain function. Who knows...... it is a controversy that will probably outlive me anyway. I'm pooped! Gotta grab some shut eye. Talk to you tomorrow. Ronda
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/05 6:03 am - South of Boston, MA
Your diet looks wonderfully healthy, Ronda! That's the way most people should eat! I love having my dairy, but you're doing great without it, I see... -beth 313/298/156again/130
Rondaslosinit
on 1/15/05 8:20 am - Richardson, TX
I know Beth, the only thing I really miss is dairy. I miss cheese and yogurt especially. Yogurt is like the perfect food! I keep hoping that one day things will change for me in that department but so far - no go. I wish I could say that I was good and ate like that every day but alas..... you know the rest of the story - we all do. Today I had cereal for breakfast, a protein drink and a few corn chips for snack and Tuna and bread for lunch. I'm going out for mexican food tonight. Hubby is taking me out to celebrate our 17th anniversary. Ronda 297/286/192/who knows
lacmike
on 1/14/05 9:48 am - York, PA
Sissy, When I was about two months out I was eating 25 or less and I went into Ketosis, I could not eat anything. All food and water tasted like crap, I called the dietician and she said that my carbs were to low, that we should be intaking 40-60, but aim for 50. I take in about 30-40 a day, of course some days more than others. I told the dietician that I did not want to eat more carbs because I did not want to get fat again and she promised me that 50 was enough when previously I was probably intaking 200-300. I am one of these people that can not tolerate pasta, rice, and only on occassion can I eat a small dinner roll, not even toast so I know my carbs are pretty much coming from fruits and veggies the way it should be. Lori 258/160/148
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views