Am I still a SLOW LOSER?

Angela R.
on 1/6/05 8:48 pm - Baltimore, MD
here we are at 9 months post op, starting at 273lbs and 5'4, Im at 198 today. !?!? Why so slow? Maybe I eat too many carbs, and thats why its so slow! Tell me exactly how many carbs, fats, sugars, I am supposed to stay under each meal/day....thanks! I would love to be at my goal by my one year anniversary...my goal is anywhere between 140-150lbs, does that sound about right?
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/05 10:41 pm - South of Boston, MA
Angela- You're averaging a loss of 8.3 lbs a month! That's a good amount! If you continue at that rate, you'll hit your goal quicker than you think. From what I've read here lately, the consensus seems to be to stay under 1000-1200 calories a day. As for everything else, I can only tell you what *I do... since it varies so much. Feel free to disregard the following rambling blabber........ Beth's "Plan" (forgive me if you've seen this already somewhere else, I've copied and pasted) _____________________________________________________________ * * * * * Carbs/sugars, under 25 grams per day (same as Atkins Induction) this translates into very little carbohydrates... try to get them from vegetable sources... many foods have a high sugar content which prevents weight loss that you just don't realize. Goal is LESS than the equivalent of ONE slice of bread per day for weight loss. For weight maintenance, allow the equivalent of 1 slice or more per day. Fats- I don't count. The maximum RDA for a normal woman is 60 grams per day, so if I stay under that, I'm fine with it. I stick by these rules, with the occasional lapse and mistake and getting sick........... *No hydrodgenated oils in food ingredients (I read everything) This includes basically anything that comes in a box premade...practically EVERY single BAKABLE item, ready-to-eat cheap ingredient item...they're all filled with this crap.) *No mayonnaise, no pre-made salad dressing (though if it's in something like a deviled egg yolk, I'll taste it.., I just don't use it anymore in my own cooking) *No fried foods *No breaded or battered foods (which usually involve frying) *No hot-dogs (not even turkey dogs), bologna, fake deli meats (anything that's not 100% normal sliced meat, nothing called a loaf, roll, product...), mechanically separated meats, canned meats, no nitrates or preservatives.... *No salami, mortadella, etc. *No canned fruit in any sort of syrup *No canned veggies, except bean products and mushrooms *No regular peanut butter (only "real") *No milk (except in cooking and the occassional latte from Starbucks) *No potatoes in any form, not even a "baked lays" chip *No white flour *No bakery items, no bread, bagels, english muffins, etc. *No white rice ****asional whole grain rices/grains) *No pasta ****assional high-protein pasta, but it never feels good) *No white sugar, brown sugar, molasses, honey, etc... *No meats of unknown origin- aka frozen "meals" that contain fillers that aren't 100% meat... like those frozen salisbury steaks, meatloaves, etc... *No take-out or drive through food (exceptions of course are made for things that are totally fine to have... like chilis, meats, salad, insides of Subway sandwiches sans mayo) *No fake cheese products, no "whiz", no "american", spreads... etc *No soda (regular or diet) *No fruit juice ****asional sip of "light" oj, but it's hardly worth it... still 10G of sugar in 8 oz) Ok, what *do I eat? Here's my "grocery list"... Meat/Deli Turkey breast, ground turkey breast, chicken breast or thigh, lean ham, pork tenderloin, smoked shoulder, pot roast, roast beef, stew beef, ground beef, chewable cuts of steak, the fattier the softer... I'm picky, so there's lots more out there that I just don't eat. (aka Duck, Lamb, Venison... etc...) If I'm at a deli, it's preservative-free meats... I always buy a big pile of roast skinless turkey breast sliced THICK to roll up and eat... it's the staple food in our house. Generally I also get sliced ham, Boars' Head or equivalent baked ham. Once in a long while I'll get black pastrami, I adore it... and nobody else will touch it. Cheese/Dairy Natural cheeses, any kind, current favorite is gruyere... mmmm.... I made a mean cauliflower casserole with it....... Also cottage cheese, occasional bite of cream cheese, neufchatel (sp?), farmers cheese, ricotta, bleu, provolone, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, romano, parmesan........ Can you tell this is my favorite food?? Also, cream for cooking and coffee, eggs and "eggbeaters", Low-carb yogurt products, lots of nutrition very low fat/calorie for most... Fresh vegetables- Raw, steamed or baked.... low-carb veggies only, broccolli, cauliflower, asparagus, lettuce (any kind), sprouts, celery, mushrooms, occasional tomatoes, sugar snap peas, green beans, summer squashes, spaghetti squash, occassional winter squashes....etc Fruit- Sadly, not much, I don't really like fruit, at all... occasionally berries, fresh pineapple (just a taste), watermelon... I buy for the kids... But I will eat baby fruits... texture aversion girl here... Canned foods- Beans are wonderful, but high in carbohydrates... I love any type of beans, but in moderation... chick peas, pinto beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas...etc... Non-perishables- (I buy the least in the middle of the store, ) Splenda/equal/sweet and low... I vary with whatever is on sale, Crystal Light "On-The-Go" packets, bottled water, Propel... Coffee... teabags... Diet V8 Splash... Tomato products, sauce, paste, diced, Barilla veggie sauce, low-carb ketchup, LOTS of whole grain mustard, Olive Oil, Black olives, green olives, splenda pickles, banana pepper rings, bacon pieces (they come in a bag... perfect for making omelets, etc...) Low-carb pastas, if on sale, very expensive! I buy a few things for the family that I won't touch (aka Annies Mac & Cheese, couscous, rices, regular pasta) Wheat germ (the ONLY way I'll touch yogurt!****ep trying protein cereals, but I never get into the habit of eating them, so I've been skipping them altogether.... the kids get to pick something low/no sugar (usually it's the natural foods O's and crisp rice) Snackish foods- (I find a lot at GNC or the health food store...) Girlfriends Booty, Jerky, Soy "crisps", Just the Cheese, protein bars (most make me ill... I keep trying) Nuts, in major moderation... Seeds, also a rare item, I always eat too many.... Frozen foods- Some frozen dinners are worth a shot- namely "Smart Ones" and "Lean Cuisine" Low Carb varieties. They are expensive but I'll buy them 50% off and stock up. My husband lives on the "Smart Ones" Creamy Parmesan Chicken. Also, Life Choice, but these have too much food. Also, frozen berries, lots of fiber... low carb! Veggies... I'll buy some things frozen to save money.... Protein supps- Atkins Chocolate Royale, Body Choice Cappucino.... in the fridge always, but hardly used.........also Soy granules in cabinet to toss in foods.... plain soy/whey powders, etc... So- I live on fresh meats, cheese and veggies. That's it pretty much. HTH! _____________________________________________________________ -Beth HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 156 GW- 130 Someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar, someday I'll be so damn much more than my body gives me credit for. Why is it not my time? What is there more to learn? Shed this skin I've been tripping in, never to quite return... -J. Mayer
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views