Suggestions for WLS Support Group?

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/05 9:00 am - South of Boston, MA
Evening all.... I'm contemplating starting a informal support group for people in my local area, since most of the hospitals are in the city, and getting up there for the group is a challenge. I've got a few people interested, and now the question is- how do I arrange this? Where can we meet? Has anyone else done this, where did you meet up, did you plan anything special, how did it turn out? I still plan on going to my hospitals' monthly post-op group, but that is a large formal meeting, and there is no time to talk with anyone, it's more a service to pre-ops to ask questions. Any ideas? Beth Happy 10-month-day 4/5ers!
Just Janice
on 1/5/05 9:43 am - Houston, TX
Our weekly..yes weekly..support group actually started out as a few people meeting after our monthly group at the hospital. Then, we decided to meet in 2 weeks, at Starbucks (good coffee, no really "dangerous food, as long as you stay away from the cakes, pasteries, cookies...oh dear), as we really liked the people we met at the hospital. Then, some of us liked it so much, we meet almost every week, talk on the phone, go shopping etc... Also, to branch out and welcome others, we announced it at the meeting at the hospital...then we posted it on our state boards here, on OH. Then, the MDs let their clients know that there was a "group" who met informally to shoot the breeze and were open to talk about anything... So, our little group of 2-3 folks has turned to, at times 10-15. We talk for HOURS!!! It is a nice get away from the spouse, kids, dishes, etc. REAL adult conversation with people who can relate to YOU!!! In our area, whenever anyone wants to meet, they post on the boards, "LUNCH????", "COFFEE???", etc. Then they plan a lunch, breakfast, or just a casual meeting. The festivities run themselves. It seems that anytime you get a bunch of folks with saggin body parts together, conversations just flower!!! LOL Good luck!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/05 10:13 am - South of Boston, MA
Don't ya know Starbucks was my FIRST thought. Nothing like a Venti Sugarfree Nonfat Vanilla Latte at the support group- right?! -Beth
Just Janice
on 1/5/05 10:23 am - Houston, TX
OMG!!!! MY blood type is Venti Decaf non-fat sf vanilla latte!!!! Also, they are usually open to 11 or so, so it is good for us night owls. We met last night, and stood in the parking lot until almost 12:30! LOL Good luck! I LIVE for my coffees and support groups! SInce moving here in 2003, I have made the best friends from the coffees!! Janice
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/05 10:38 pm - South of Boston, MA
My blood is highly CAFFEINATED. Buzzzzzzzz.... I suppose if I weren't ADD that I'd be bouncing off walls?! I believe caffeine has a different reaction with me... it makes me focus better. How's that for an excuse?? -Beth 313/298/157/130
Annette I.
on 1/5/05 2:41 pm - burbs of sac, CA
Hi Beth, We have a weekly meeting here also, I am so thankful for it! It is baaed on the emotional side of weightloss surgery and not so much the educational part. Do you have Raley's grocery stores in your area? They have an Event center in some of our local stores that offers free use of the meeting facilites for non profit type meetings. It was started by a friend of mine posting here and getting some response., also posting at surgeons offices and bariatric offices would be a good idea. We accept all phases and it adds a great deal to the group. We set aside one week of the month to bring significant others etc because we end up talking about some pretty personal issues they may not get discussed if we always had strangers present. If you want specifics email me and I will be glad to share. Annette
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/05 9:26 pm - South of Boston, MA
Annette- I'd love to hear more! Thanks for the ideas! -Beth
Rachelq
on 1/6/05 2:50 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
A few of the Cali oh'ers in my county meet at restaurants around the area (which is kinda like recovering drug addicts meeting at a crack house...lol) But actually, it works out well. the venue changes every week this way the same people are doing the driving all the time. Also, OH is trying to get people to start up local chapters of the official OH support group. You may want to kick out an email to OH for advice on getting it started. Rachel
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views