OT- Going back to school?

Ayleneb
on 12/30/04 9:31 am - Jacksonville, FL
Beth, One of my goals for having the surgery was to have the energy to be able to go back to college and be able to fit in the desks and not feel so self-conscious about my size and appearance around those college kids. I had my surgery in April this year and started college online over the summer to get back into the swing of things. This fall I took three classes at the local university in addition to two more online. My last experience with college was attaining my AA back in 1996 right before I got married to my husband. I was working fulltime at that point and quit my job when I got pregnant with my first son. Now, two kids later and about to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary on January 11th I'm finally back in college. Taking the online courses to begin with was ideal for me, I didn't have to go out to school at all once I was enrolled and had my books, even for tests! I loved the convenience of it and did my tests and important things during nap time or at night after the kids went to bed. This fall my oldest son started kindergarten and I took three classes out at the local university in addition to two classes online. Yes - 5 classes! It was pretty tough once we got into it and I'm cutting back to only three on campus classes for this term but I did it and did it well! Straight A's (sorry, had to brag! LOL) I schedule my on campus classes for late mornings, either Monday, Wednesday or Friday, or for the evenings. I have my 2.5 year old in preschool those three mornings a week and he seems to really enjoy it. He only cried twice when dropped off the entire semester and it was only 3 hours a day three days a week. I've never been a big fan of daycare and we choose for me to stay home with our kids. Like you we can't afford much extra either. This felt like the perfect compromise. Over the summer I applied for student loans and Pell grants (which don't have to be paid back) and they are what makes it all possible. Between the loans and grants I can pay for the tuition and books, extra gas and the preschool. That's about it but we're no worse off. I initially started off with a major in Nursing because I knew that I had an interest in the medical field, there is alot of demand and flexibility in schedule for nurses, the pay is pretty good and I know that I want to work in a field where I can help people. You didn't mention at what level you will be starting your education (are you going to be taking basic freshman level classes or going in as a junior?) but there are a few things to be aware of. Most medical type degrees will require you to work set hours as a student nurse when you are completing the last portion of your degree. Basically, you are at the school's mercy and past the initial freshman/sophomore core classes you will be doing a lot of hands-on and "lab" work that will require you to be present at a working location. Depending on the degree you want that could be for as much as two years or as little as 6-9 months. For me that was a big negative with kids. I just couldn't basically work full-time, not getting paid, and take care of my family and kids. Another good option for many is teaching. I opted for an education degree for a couple of reasons. One, I love school and learning and think I could be a good teacher. Two, there is a high demand of teachers at all levels and the pay and benefits are getting better. Three, I will be working on my kid's schedules. When they are off for Christmas vacation, summer, etc.. I will also be off work outside of a few days where the teachers work while the kids are out. Many schools these days also offer on-campus childcare or at least extended day for your kids so that you can stay until you are done. I've seen many teachers with their own children in their classrooms after the school day is over. Not ideal, necessarily but it is an option as long as you can get the work done. For my education degree I had to get a few more core courses in addition to my AA and then started as a Junior. At my college (and this varies) I have to take two pre-internships and one full semester as an Intern (common with most education degrees) in addition to about 45 hours of classroom instruction. Each pre-internship is one semester long, I take a class that meets for about 2 hours once per week then have to complete 50 hours out at my assigned school in the assigned classroom over the course of the semester. Getting in the 50 hours was tough and required some rearranging of my husband's schedule and getting some help to care for my two year old. Basically I had to work out at a school (unpaid of course) once a week for 5 hours for ten weeks. I opted to not take the second of the two pre-internship courses this spring just because it was so tough on my family and I hated leaving my two year old in extended day for those days that noone else was available to watch him. The final hurdle is the full-time internship where you serve as the teacher working a 40 hour + week for a full semester, again, unpaid. I'm planning to do that in either the year of or the semester before my youngest starts kindergarten. If I pushed things I could conceivably graduate in May 2006 but I feel that it would take too much away from my kids (who both really need me to be available and not too stressed right now) so I'm taking the slow road to graduation. Still, this is less than the requirements for most medical degrees (from my research). I really encourage you to look into the programs available to you for the various career options that you are considering. There may be factors that you aren't aware of that would make a huge difference in what decision you might make. Especially if you will be starting out with the basic courses I encourage you to find a junior college that offers online courses and get started asap. You can probably still get in for spring term and take a class or two. For the lower level courses a junior college is really good for people returning to school. The prices are much lower than at major universities and the school is more understanding about being a parent, etc... Going back to school has been great for building up my feelings of self-worth. I love the mental stimulation and have really enjoyed being around other grown-ups for a change. Another plus is that I appreciate my kids even more from not being with them 24/7. Overall, for my family, going back to school has been a good thing. Also, I've been pleasantly surprised by how many other "old" people I have in most of my classes and how easily I fit in. Good luck with whatever you decide! Aylene Mom to two boys lap RNY 4/13/04 278.8/170/150ish
DianneW
on 12/30/04 1:35 pm - Louisville, KY
Another thing to check out is most community colleges have a career center where for a small fee will do testing and help you pick out what you would be good at and like to do, not a bad thing if you are undecided. You should definetly be eligible for some student aid, scholarship will depend on your grades in high school and once you've gone through your first semester. You can go to the library and look for books on scholarships, look for scholarships on women re-entering college or the workforce a little later in life. Enter everything you think you are eligible for, it becomes like a full time job. I wouldn't completely rule out loans, but would talk to a financial planner if you decide to take them, so he can tell you exactly what you can afford based on the income you anticipate brining in. Dianne PS: People at the school don't count as financial planners, they just want you to take lots of loans and get you to spend your money at their school. Go to a real one away from the school!
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/04 8:49 pm - South of Boston, MA
Well, my grades in high school were awful. I had A's intermingling with D's. Call it selective good grades. I'm applying to one of the CC's that I applied to back when I graduated. They accepted me then, and I was actually able to test out of some of the basic classes... It'll be strange doing it again........... I'm looking into the Radiological Technologist program.... Beth
irisheyes
on 12/31/04 12:23 am - Harmony, MN
Good for you Beth!!! I too and trying to go back to school. I have been looking into alot of options. First off there are A LOT of grants out there to help pay for school, and the College knows everyone of them....they will give you a list. #2 I work out of the home it is hard to schedule classes that will work around a 12 shift, to I am looking into online classes. Did you know that some colleges (like North Iowa Area Community College for one) offer a AS degree and an AA degree on line? I can get a 2 year degree taking online courses! #3 some Colleges offer child care and no, minamal charges for students, look into that... Katie
LesaPurdy
on 1/1/05 10:22 pm - panama city bch, fl
Beth, you can look into early childhood development..but it is subsudised childcare..my son is 2.3 years old and if I wait until he goes to k..I will have waited 3 years of my life.. my plan is to go to the finacial aid office.. explain my situation to them and ask what they have for my particular situation.my husband makes good money, me? I make bout 20 k a year depending on howmuch I actually work.I have always wanted to be a nurse or work in the medical field.I am going back even if it means taking a few classes at night to get my prequcesites (sp)done. then as soon as I m able go ahead and apply for some kind of grant and (or loan as a last resort.) First I am taking a 3 month class in paitent care tech and being hired by the hospital,most are in such short supply of nurses they'll pay for you to go to school..wouldn't that be nice? I have heard rumors that I can use my husbands GI bill.. I will try that too.. If there is a will there is a way.. It's gonna be tough..But girl if we could get through the ups and downs of insurance approvals we can get through anything!! P.S. I have three kids as well.. 9.3,12.9 and2.3..ha Beth we can do this.. Remember Can't isn't a word and positive attitudes=positive results.. I start Feb 7..woohoo
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views