OT- Going back to school?

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/04 3:26 am - South of Boston, MA
Well, I have decided it's time to do something. After sitting on my rear end for the past 7 years raising babies, I feel the intense urge to get out there and get a real job. I don't wanna hear how raising children *is a real job and hard work, I know it is, I've been doing it full time for a long time. I am bored out of my mind. I am not the stay at home type, and here I am, staying at home. The only reason I've not had a real job sooner is that I cannot afford childcare while working a petty entry-level job, which is basically all I can get with my lack of working history. I've been at home with kids since I was 18 years old. Now, I've come to a new set of dilemmas.... how do I go about getting into a college certificate or two year program with no money, first off.... Also, how do I *go* to classes when I need to be at home.... And, what do I do WHEN I get that certificate and degree and want to work--- how do I finagle child care *then? So- I've come to the conclusion that I need to be trained to do something that can be done either in the evening, weekends, or per diem. Otherwise known as something medical. Any ideas?! Thanks... -Beth 313/158/130
Dedicated
on 12/30/04 4:56 am - Eleva, WI
I take classes at our local community college.....finishing up my first two years of a BA degree! 95% of my classes were offered over the net, only had to go in maybe every other month for exams! I took out student loans....don't have to pay them bac****il 6 months after you either graduate or stop going to school! Then if you still can't afford to make payments, you send in a letter and they usually let you go another 6 months to a year. I have math classes now, so I'll have to rearrange my work schedule to do those, they are only offered during the weekdays at the school. If there is a will, there's a way!
DianneW
on 12/30/04 6:13 am - Louisville, KY
Be very wise about taking out student loans, I'm still paying them back. I took out way to many (went to an expensive private college) for what a social worker makes, and will be paying them back till I retire. I would consult with a financial planner before taking on any serious debt. Dianne
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/04 9:29 am - South of Boston, MA
Dianne- Yes, for me, student loans are out of the question... not after digging out of debt once already and just having bought another house. I need to find a way to contribute to the household income, other than babysitting. I am not content babysitting, at all. To be honest, I doubt we'd get approved for ANY loans to beging with! We just pulled our credit out of the deep dark pit of a bankruptcy two years ago.... -Beth
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/04 9:17 am - South of Boston, MA
Tina- Cool...although I can't take on any debt, I don't have an income... and DH's income pays the bills and not much else. I am filling out Financial Aid paperwork, although I'm pretty sure I don't qualify since I'm an adult -what if I did?! -Beth
Ayleneb
on 12/30/04 9:35 am - Jacksonville, FL
Beth, Just another note. Dh and I went through a bankruptcy ourselves a few years back so I know what you mean about debt...however, if you are working for a degree I really see school loans as something different. JMO. You will get approved for a student loan if you pursue it. They can't be written off on bankruptcy, the government guarantees them for the banks so the bank knows they will be paid. LOL Also, you sound like you should be able to qualify for some grants and possibly scholarships for next year. It can be done! I'm walking proof. How old are your kids btw? Aylene
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/04 9:44 am - South of Boston, MA
Aylene- The kids are 7.5, 5.5 and 2.9 years old... the older two will be attending elementary school full time in September, and I'll need childcare for the little one if I go during the day.... How do I go about finding grants? I am preparing to fill out the FAFSA forms... need to file taxes first... what else do I do? -Beth
Ayleneb
on 12/30/04 10:44 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Beth, The FAFSA forms are the first step, they will notify you if you qualify and for how much. As long as you follow all of the steps you should receive your grants. Alot of schools offer on campus childcare, sometimes with the requirement that your little one be potty trained. Mine isn't yet so we spend about $120/month for him to be in a good, high quality church preschool just a few miles from my house. I can drop him off then go to class, run errands or do homework depending on the day. We probably couldn't afford the preschool at all without the grants/loans but it's well worth it. The other option is taking night classes. Currently my dh is about 3 classes away from his Bachelor's degree. He's been taking evening classes on and off for the past 4 years or so (taking off a semester for each baby, etc...) and he and I are taking turns going to school at night. My schedule for next term is three classes at the university (I've pretty much taken everything that I can at the local junior college that offers the online classes). One class is Monday morning and Wednesday morning 10am-11:40am, the second class is Monday night 6-8:30pm and the third class is Wednesday night 6-8:30pm. Dh will be at school on Thursday night 6-8:30pm. It's a tough schedule in some ways but I will be home for my oldest when he gets out of school. I can drop off and pickup my youngest from preschool and the kids have one parent home with them every night to feed, check homework and put them in bed. I think it's worth the compromise. Plus, one day I will be teaching and working their hours with their vacations. As a teacher in my state I understand that we have a program that allows children of public school teachers to attend state colleges for free. Teachers have pretty good medical benefits and even have retirement and pension plans which my dh doesn't have right now. I can't imagine a better situation for someone who enjoys kids. BTW, I have to admit that at this point in my life I'm pretty worn out with *little* kids LOL. I started with an Elementary Ed major but I've already switched to Middle School Math/Science option. That will be a better fit for me and is highly in demand. Many states have programs available that will pay off your student loans if you agree to work for three years in an area of high need (some urban areas, and some specialities such as Math/Science teachers have high demand). Just some thoughts... Aylene
Rachelq
on 12/30/04 9:23 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Have you thought about medical billing or transcriptions. You can find jobs that are 'work around your hours' types or ...though I know you are trying to get out...from home. Child care is crazy expensive out here. I was making a very decent salary when I had my 'career' job. but with preschool, nanny, gardener, housekeeper...and all the rest it took to run my household while I was away, I was giving away half of my earnings... so now I'm full time mom / part time worker. Making 10 bucks and hour...oops... $10.15...gotta raise. but working from home and no stress. I plan on re-entering the work force in about 2 years. Keep me posted on your progress. Rachel
LesaPurdy
on 1/1/05 10:19 pm - panama city bch, fl
gawd rachel, your not lying about childcare cost.I pay 1000. a month for child care and I wanna go back to school too. Beth, you cn look into early childhood development..but it is subsudised childcare..my son is 2.3 years old and if I wait until he goes to k..I will have waited 3 years of my life.. my plan is to go to the finacial aid office.. explain my situation to them and ask what they have for my particular situation.y husband makes good money, me? I make bout 20 a year depending on howmuch I actually work.I havealways wanted to be a nurse or work in the medical field.I am going back even if it means taking a few classes at night to get my prequcesites (sp)done. then as soon as I m able go ahaead and apply for some kind of grant and or loan as a last resort. First I am taking a 3 month class in paitent care tech and being hired by the hospital,mot are in such short supply of nurses they'll pay for you to go to school..wouldn't that be nice? I have heard rumors that I can use my husbands GI bill.. I will try that too.. If there is a will there is a way.. It's gonna be tough..But girl if we could get through the ups and downs of insurance approvals we can get through anything!! P.S. I have three kids as well.. 9.3,12.9 and2.3..ha Beth we can do this.. Remember Can't isn't a word and positive attitudes=positive results.. I start Feb 7..woohoo
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views