Denied Life Insurance?!

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/04 8:15 am - South of Boston, MA
My husband and I just finished applying for life insurance policies- and he just got an official denial letter for his coverage. Reason is: "due to elevated liver function tests on current blood profile"... These break down to the following: From the liver tests: High Alkaline Phosphatase High SGOT (AST) Additionally, High Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 5.68 High LDL/HDL Ratio 7.10 High Creatinine Does anyone have any knowledge of these things being normal for a someone who is a gastric bypass patient? He had a lap RNY on May 10th, 2004, down to 225 from 340. Thanks for any information you might have! -Beth 313/298/160/126 My NEW journal: http:// THEN journals.aol.com/bethlbutterfly/MeltingMama/
Larakatya
on 12/17/04 11:07 am - Twin Cities, MN
I don't have any advice, other than go see the primary doc and find out what's going on! Is there some kind of vitamin imbalance? Huggles, prayers and best wishes, ~Lara
Kim T.
on 12/17/04 11:26 am - Dracut, MA
I have some knowledge in this but you left out the actual values of his AST (liver function test) and Creatinine the actual numbers would help to determine exactly how high they are..... I'm guessing he has high cholesterol and is on Lipitor??? Lipitor, while a fantastic medication for decreasing cholesterol....HDL (bad cholesterol) and LDL (the good cholesterol), can sometimes, and over time cause the liver values to go higher, which is why they are to be monitored yearly while on any medication... the numbers you did provide dont seem THAT bad to me, as the LDL/HDL ratio normal values should be below 7.0 (his is only 7.1, not too shabby, really)... i'd suggest calling primary care doctor and he/she will probably do a fasting profile of cholesterol (the overall cholesterol, and the breakdown of good and bad) and also AST ALT (both liver function tests). You can call your primary care and also get a copy of the original tests (this will help because they'll also give you the normal ranges) hope this helped some... ~Kim
DianneW
on 12/17/04 1:38 pm - Louisville, KY
I agree, any cholesterol medicine and numerous other medications (even ones you've taken for awhile) can elevate liver enzymes. I would call the PCP. Dianne
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/04 11:06 pm - South of Boston, MA
Kim- you've got a face! Thanks for the reply--- I dont have the letter in front of me--- but... he's not on any meds for cholesterol or anything.... He did take Lipitor pre-op for high cholesterol, but that was a long time ago? Hmmm... Well, I put in a request for a PCP app't anyhow, just to be sure, cuz he got scared when he read the letter.... Thank you all.... -Beth 313/298/160/126
Leslie M.
on 12/19/04 5:32 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 04/05/04 with
I too was denied, but my letter stated that it was due to my weight, stating i was a high risk!... this of course was before i had my surgery... i havent tried re-applying yet, maybe they were reconsider now that im down 96 pounds... keep good spirits and maybe things will look up for you both real soon. Leslie
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views