Legal papers

nancyhrich
on 10/12/04 8:55 pm - Chicago, IL
Prior to my surgery in April, I had a Living Will and a Durable Medical Power of Attorney drawn up by an attorney and filled out. Both of these documents need only be witnessed by two people (or so it is here in Illinois). (I also had a will prepared, but it required two witnesses and a notary.) I highly recommend that each of you make SURE you have these documents completed for you and your entire family. Reason? I have a very dear friend at work, 4 months younger than me, who inexplicably suffered a massive stroke about 3 weeks ago. She did NOT have these documents prepared. Now her family and "extended family" (i.e., partner) are quibbling about her care. It is a situation that could have easily been resolved with these documents prepared. Her parents are no longer alive; so there's some question about who, exactly, should be in charge of her care. She has adopted siblings and natural siblings as well as a partner ... SO! It's NEVER too late to get this done. Nancy 353/227/170
Dedicated
on 10/12/04 11:18 pm - Eleva, WI
Thats great advice. I am not married, but have been living with my guy for six years, so we might as well be. I know if something happened to me my family would try to step in as well as him. It would just make a hard situation worse for all involved. I had a will drawn up back when I was 21. Everyone should have one, even if they don't have anything material or monetary to speak of, its a place to put your wishes.
DianneW
on 10/13/04 2:09 am - Louisville, KY
Thanks, I did this also before my surgery. I bought some software that allowed me to prepare the documents myself and have them notarized. It is a will software, I believe it's made by H & R block. It only costs around $20.00. When I had the blood clots in my lungs I was glad I had my paperwork in order, even though I didn't wind up needing it. Dianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views