6 mth. goal?

suzcp
on 10/11/04 1:51 am - Knoxville, TN
When I researched WLS, I recall learning that we will be most successful if we lose a certain amount by six months. It seems like it was 80% of our excess weight, but I am not sure now. Can anyone elaborate?
Dedicated
on 10/11/04 2:53 am - Eleva, WI
I gave up following that stuff. Guidelines for loss, etc. I started out needing to lose about 140 pounds. I have lost 65 so far. I'm just about 1/2 way there. I have never been this successful at a diet or attempt at a lifestyle change before. Focus on following the rules your doc gave you and being healthy. I get too stressed when I focus on pounds, although I do weigh everyday. It motivates me to stay on track or get back on track! Some say don't weigh everyday, I like to. Like everything else with this surgery, its all individual!!!
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/04 9:15 am - South of Boston, MA
Susan- It's true we have a "window of opportunity" to lose the MOST in the first six months. That is when our tool is at it's best. I've read that it's the best time to utilize our early satiety and the best time to really exercise and get the weight off, at least to get a big portion off, I'd say close to 50% of the excess is average? Gastric bypass surgery should help us lose approximately 65-80% of our EXCESS body weight in 18-24 months. From the NIH website: "Most patients lose an average of 10 pounds per month and reach a stable weight between 18 and 24 months after surgery." HTH. Beth -132 total....51 to go!
nancyhrich
on 10/11/04 10:22 pm - Chicago, IL
I agree with Beth, et al, that the loss is a very individual process ... and it seems true that the more you HAVE to lose, the faster you will lose it, especially at the beginning ... Today is my 6-month anniversary ... as of last Friday, I had lost 123 pounds ... that is 68% of my "excess" weight as determined by my surgeon ... (I began at 353, the "excess" weight being 180 pounds) ... Just wanted to report on my experience ... Nancy 353/230/170
suzcp
on 10/11/04 11:11 pm - Knoxville, TN
Thanks for your responses. I weigh once or twice a month and I have my six months f/u appt. with Dr. Houston this week, so I am a little anxious. I lost very quickly in the beginning, but have just lost a few pounds each month since August. My total loss is 77 lbs., which I could have never done without WLS. I hope to lose at least 40 lbs. more.
Dodie R.
on 10/12/04 12:16 am - North Little Rock, AR
Hi Susan!! I am now one week over being out for 6 months. I have lost 152.5 lbs in that short amount of time. Have gone from huge butt to a no butt!!!! It is pretty amazing. However my journey was filled with fear of dying, because they found cancer in the ampula of the vaters in my body. My gastric bypass they said was beautiful and then they had to go in and take out my small intestine, 1/3 of my pancreas, doing a procedure called the Whipple. I have been in and out of the hospital for 3 months, missing the entire summer. I am now strong enough to stay home and out of hospital.........Thank you God. I have 3 more lbs to go until I reach my goal weight. God bless all of you. Dodie LAPRNY/252.5/150.0/147.0
Maureen C.
on 10/12/04 1:40 pm - MO
I am almost at 6 months and have lost approximately 50% of my excess body weight. I have been a very slow loser for the past 2 months. I was hoping to have lost over 100lbs by this time because I hear that after 6 months the weight loss decreases drastically but does continue for up to 18 months. I have had significant increases in my health status, but we are all so vain to try to get that body that has eluded us for too long... lap RNY 4/26/04 264/191/110
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views