Coffee consumption

Robin D.
on 10/8/04 5:35 am - Trempealeau, WI
This was posted on another WLS board I belong to (www.rnylacrosse.com) Source: http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/updates/12.asp Dr. Monte Kline, Ph.D. NUTRIENT INTERFERENCE Both coffee and tea destroy vitamin B-1 and other B vitamins. Two Swiss researchers found that after drinking a quart of coffee during a three hour period, much of the body's vitamin B-1 (thiamine) was gone. Interestingly, it was not the caffeine in the coffee that caused the problem, but the chlorogenic acid (International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, Vol. 46, 1976). Thus, the more coffee you drink, the more B vitamin deficient you become, and therefore, the more fatigued you become. With more fatigue, you'll probably want more coffee for stimulation, and so the vicious circle goes. Coffee also inhibits calcium and iron absorption. Thus coffee drinking could adversely affect conditions related to those deficiencies such as osteoporosis, PMS, menopausal symptoms, depression, headaches, anemia and more. Keep in mind that caffeine is a drug, not a food, and all drugs have side-effects. Nutrient deficiencies are just one of those side-effects. WHERE'S THE CAFFEINE? Caffeine is found not only in coffee, but other foods, beverages and medications. For example: Drip coffee 115-175 mg.. Brewed coffee 80-135 mg. Espresso 100 mg. Brewed tea (imported) 60 mg. Brewed tea (U. S.) 40 mg. Iced Tea (12 oz.) 70 mg. Jolt cola 100 mg. Coca-Cola 46 mg. Pepsi Cola 38 mg. Chocolate bar 30 mg. Stay Awake Pills 100 mg. Vivarin 200 mg. Cold relief tablet 30 mg. Guarana 500 mg. capsule 25 mg. Since many people consume coffee, iced tea, cola drinks, chocolate, and cold tablets, a pretty high total amount of caffeine intake is likely . . . and thus more problems from caffeine-related health concerns. Drinking only a minimal amount of coffee may still leave you with a very high caffeine intake, if you take it in from these other sources.
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/04 11:39 am - South of Boston, MA
::sticking my fingers in my ears, covering my eyes, and singing LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA as loud as I can:: I don't see this! I can't see this! No, really, thanks for posting this... I will save it and perhaps print it out, post it on my car, my fridge, my coffeemaker, Dunkin' Donuts... etc.... I should really take note.... but if I cut coffee, what on earth am I going to pick up instead? Smoking?? ARGH! Beth (not afraid to admit she needs a 12 step program to decaffeinate) -130............53 to go!
Rachelq
on 10/13/04 9:23 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Thanks for the info, I've also heard that teas with tanin (even herbal) have the same effect. Also, a cup of coffee can inhibit the abosrbtion of calcium by 40% Rachel
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views