Anyone else anemic?

Rondaslosinit
on 8/28/04 10:26 am - Richardson, TX
Are any of you having trouble with iron deficiency? I just can't seem to get back on top of my iron levels. Last week after my gallbladder removal surgery, they gave me an IV bag of iron. My Iron Serum level is 18 (s/b 35-155), and Iron Saturation rate is 5 (s/b 20-40 I think, I can't actually remember). My doc says that he has this problem more with women than with men - for obvious reasons. I am taking extra iron supplements every day but I'm still very tired, cold, and lightheaded. Other than that, I still feel so much better than I did pre-op. I'm down 69 pounds now! YAHOO!!!! How are ya'll? Ronda
Pegtrala
on 8/28/04 1:29 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Ronda. Yes, I'm anemic, but I'm getting better. I was anemic before my open RNY and gallbladder surgery 4 months ago, and I'm taking vitamins with iron. However, mine was caused by stomach cancer. I was given a transfusion during surgery and shots to stimulate production of red blood cells. I'm almost up to the low normal range, so I'm just about back to where I need to be. It will take you awhile, but you will find that you will warm up and your nails will stop being blue and you'll stop feeling so light-headed. I still get that way if I bend over and straighten up too quickly. You will also be amazed at how much more energy you will have when you get your iron counts back up. Good luck with everything. Peggy
Rondaslosinit
on 8/29/04 12:35 pm - Richardson, TX
Thanks Peg! I'm encouraged to know there will be an end to it. I'm sure you're right about the energy level and the iron. I already have so much more than pre-RNY. I guess everything is relative, huh? Thanks again and good luck to you to. I read your profile. Is everything ok with the cancer? Did the surgery take care of it when they removed the stomach? Have you had to have any chemo or radiation? Here's praying all is well with you! Ronda
Pegtrala
on 8/29/04 2:11 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Ronda. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I'm hoping they got all the cancer. I didn't have to do any chemo or radiation. I go in this coming Friday for an upper endoscopy to see if I am healing well and also to see if what is left of my stomach is producing acid. We'll see. You take care, and get well too. Peggy
Rachelq
on 8/29/04 5:41 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Ronda. My surgeon doesn't do blood wor****il you are almost a year out (sounds wierd to me). But he says, that you can't get a true reading while your body is adjusting??? So I have no idea where I am. I think I'm going to ask my PCP to do a work up. Hope the iron straightens out for you soon. 69lbs is great! Rachel
DianneW
on 8/29/04 11:41 am - Louisville, KY
I've always been anemic, I take two Feosol's per day, they are the easiest to digest. Obviously your's is really bad if you had to have an IV. Good luck. Dianne
Rondaslosinit
on 8/29/04 12:43 pm - Richardson, TX
Hi Dianne, thanks for your support! Yeah, the iron is pretty bad right now. I can't wait until it builds back up so I can have more energy and stamina! The problem with the supplements is we don't absorb much of them. I can tell by what comes out. Do you know how much of the Feosol you are absorbing? Ronda
Rondaslosinit
on 8/29/04 12:38 pm - Richardson, TX
Thanks Rachel! I've never heard of a doc waiting a year. That seems like an awfully long time. One of the best things about getting bloodwork done after surgery is seeing all the things that improved! Cholesterol, blood sugar levels, etc. I hope you get to do that soon! Thanks for your support! Ronda
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views