is anyone angry??

Kim T.
on 8/19/04 2:38 pm - Dracut, MA
I've lost 63 lbs since surgery and i feel fantastic!! i'm definately getting looks from men that i wasnt getting before, which in a way makes me feel great. I've just noticed both women and men (people i dont know) treating me differently, looking directly at me when talking, initiating conversations with me ect... i'm a bit angry about it, i know it sounds silly, but i'm the same person i was 63 lbs ago.. it's odd.. anyone experiencing this, or am i being mean from lack of sugar? ~Kim
Donna Paige
on 8/19/04 11:52 pm - Pottstown, PA
Hi Kim, I understand your point of view because I felt the same way. However, I realize that human nature is that way. For whatever reason some people feel uncomfortable around an obese person. I wouldn't waste my time being angry at these people. Just know that you were worthy before weightloss and your worthy now. If someone has a problem with my weight, I know that it is THEIR problem and not mine. God loves us all! whether we have missing limbs, are short, overweight, mentally handicapped or whatever. WE ARE ALL THE SAME!
Kim T.
on 8/20/04 1:10 am - Dracut, MA
Thanks Donna, and i know this, i guess i just needed to hear it. almost makes me feel sorry for obese people that won't have the surgery done, to see what they are missing out on... but thank you for your reply, it meant alot! ~Kim
DianneW
on 8/20/04 5:26 am - Louisville, KY
Although, I think it is true that obese people are discriminated against, I know that I'm so much happier now, always smiling and exude confidence, I'm sure this has a big difference in the way people treat me. I'm still technically obese, a long way from being thin, but I feel thin and feel great about myself. Dianne 340/250/150
Rondaslosinit
on 8/20/04 11:47 am - Richardson, TX
I am! I can handle it from most people because most of them are ignorant fools. However, when it comes from my husband..... ooooohhhh!!! That really burns me up. When I was gaining weight, he used to be really ugly about it and say hurtful things. He found out that the uglier he was, the more I gained. He finally had a decision to make. If it bothered him that much, I showed him the door - otherwise, he could stay and keep his mouth shut. To my surprise, he stayed! He quit being ugly about it and changed his tactic. He started telling me that he was truly JUST concerned for my health. OK, I got the WLS, am MUCH healthier now and starting to look better too. But, has he said one word about how thankful he is that I'm healthier now? NO! All he talks about is how much better I LOOK! Hard to be happy about that. Maybe I'll get over it one day - who knows. I understand your basic emotion there, Kim. I think it is a natural response and one that WE are going to have to get over. Ronda
irisheyes
on 8/20/04 11:44 pm - Harmony, MN
Kim I have noticed the same thing, but I wonder if it's because I am feeling better about myself, and am more out going than I was before, therefore am being treated differently. Junst a thought. Katie
Rachelq
on 8/21/04 1:26 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Kim, I know what you mean. this is my second journey to weight loss. The first time, it was very surprising how differently I was treated. Men in my workplace, that never talked to me before, suddenly wanted to know how my day was going. it was bitter sweet, I was 24 and loved the attention, but it was like a slap in the face. Now truth be told (and its not easy to say this), I find myself doing the same thing to people when they show me their before and after pictures. My perception of who they were then and who they are now is different. I hate that I feel that way (and I know it is bunk), but it happens without me even realizing it. I think it is in our nature, or at least its how society raised us. Sad but true. I only wish there was something we could do to change it! Hope I don't get blasted for my introspection. I love all of my WLS, pre-wls, and non-wls friends and just thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone else feels the same way. Take care, Rachel
Larakatya
on 8/23/04 6:56 am - Twin Cities, MN
Honestly, I am a very tall person (6'3") and although I am at my goal weight, I am still in size 18/20 I find that I am more aware of people giving me nasty looks for being fat. Less people are doing it but my consciousness is now aware of it in a new way since surgery. I'm not really angry or happy about it, it's just curious curious curious. Best wishes to you, and CONGRATS on Feeling FANTASTIC! ~Lara
klhmom3
on 8/27/04 9:10 am - Clovis, CA
Kim, I am totaly with you. I work at a large school. Male teachers that have barley said 2 words to me in 4 years are very talkative now! Was I really that bad before? The one man that was great to me before has been even more wonderful since. I am trying not to get angry about it. TRYING!
Jillybean
on 8/28/04 9:50 am - Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC
I agree with whomever said it may be your attitude. Maybe people are treating you differently because you walk with your head up, you tend to look people in the eyes rather than at the ground, you exude a more confident aura about you, and therefore seem more approachable. I think the way we feel about ourselves has a HUGE impact on how others see us/treat us. Jill
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views