Eating Habits

Middlesgirl
on 8/5/04 6:38 am - Lansing, MI
It never ceases to amaze me at the variety of things everyone can and does eat. I had my Lap RNY 4/16, and still am limited to only a few things: yogurt, chili, soup, salad, and cheese. Occasionally, green beans work, but other than that, everything makes me feel . I don't have a stricture, and my surgery was relatively without problems, but there is no way I could eat chicken or bread right now. The people who talk about eating Subway and KFC wraps and such *wow*....i would throw it up in a second. And even as frustrating as it is to be almost 4 months out and still restricted on the types of foods i can eat, breads and things like that were my weakness to begin with, so I am almost thankful i can't eat them. I know this, for me, was a permanent deal, and I don't ever intend to be obese again. I'd love to know if anyone else is having difficulties out there.
amomfor2angels
on 8/5/04 8:07 am - Grovetown, GA
I am the same as you. I had surgery on April 19th and have a lot of troubles eating foods. One day I can eat okay and the next i am throwing everything up. I do great with soft foods and like chili, but chicken and turkey gets stuck and I have to force myself to throw it up. Then my tummy hurts for like 3 days. Seems like it will never get better. I have lost 50 pounds in 3 1/2 months, but it would be nice to be able to eat normal sometimes too!!
Kathy T.
on 8/5/04 8:28 am - APO
I had the surgery 4/21. I've lost 73 pounds in the 3 1/2 months. I find that I get a sick feeling when I eat most things. I've not actually thrown up but eating almost everything makes me feel sick at my stomach for a while. I end up having to lie down till it passes. I'm wondering how long this will last. I've read that many others feel this way too and some say it eventually passes. I hope so. Sugar Free Jello seems to sooth things sometimes. I can do yogurt now without discomfort. I ate half a hamburger patty with cheese the other day and didn't feel anything. I basically dislike eating at this point.
Middlesgirl
on 8/5/04 10:29 am - Lansing, MI
I am there with ya on the not wanting to eat. I feel horrible when i do, so i try and avoid causing that feeling.
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/04 12:55 pm - South of Boston, MA
Most everything I eat makes me feel sick, right after eating it. I don't mean that I am so sick that I throw up, but it's the "full" feeling that makes me queasy. Certain foods do it almost immediately, any type of bread or pasta makes me feel full and nauseous, even with a bite. There's no way I'd eat a Subway Wrap, not at least until I take half of it, rip it open, throw away the wrap and chop the meat into tiny pieces! Chicken has to be the right texture--- or it might feel bad in your pouch.... it's got to be moist and tender, no over-cooked disgusting "fast-food" chicken... KWIM? HTH! Beth -81+
Dawn C.
on 8/5/04 11:26 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
I can pretty much eat any protein (have not tried steak or roast beef) but some filles me up faster. Like ground beef. Pasta is a no no. Makes my pouch hurt, even a few bits. Rice is okay if I only have 2 bites. I haven't even tried bread. I have tried low carb whole wheat wraps and can only have a half if I make a sandwich like a tuna/chicken salad wrap. Like you Erin, bread and pasta were also my weakness so I am glad that I can't tolerate them! Dawn -58
Jan K.
on 8/6/04 11:53 am - Aurora, OH
Hi Erin: I had surgery 4/14/04 and I just try to avoid meat in general. Like most of you, bread and pasta were my big weaknesses before surgery, and I haven't even tried them yet. I've also avoided all things sweet, except sugar free popsicles! So I live mostly on dairy, yogurt, milk, and cheese. I was doing great with scallops and most seafood, but then that changed too and the last two times I ate scallops, I got sick! That's my biggest problem, not knowing what will make me sick and when..but it's a small price to pay..I'm down 76 lbs and happy, happy, happy, even without food! Jan
frea2bea
on 8/8/04 3:58 am - COlorado Springs, CO
I, too have a very limited variety of food that I can get away with eating. I seem to have a "touchy" pouch. Anything that touches it makes it hurt. My surgeon knows, and says just keep trying. I have a very good protien drink, and have 2 /day to be sure I'm getting the protein in... Surgeon says I need to find food that works, up those cals, and start getting fiber.Last night we made Dutch oven rib-eye roasts, and it actually gave me NO trouble! Sometimes it suprises me what works, and what doesn't...
Julie V.
on 8/8/04 11:44 am - Slatington, PA
Erin, Hi. My name is Julie. I had my surgery on April 1st. There are still things that I can't eat and even certain smells will make me sick. Plus sometimes I can tolerate something and the next day I can't. I can eat bread a little bit but not much. I usually end up sick. But then again we aren't supposed to each much bread anyway. Just stick to what you can eat for now and the rest will come when your body is ready for it. Plus remember every person is different, so we all need to go at our own pace. Good luck with everything and if you ever need to chat just look me up. Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views