what are you eating?

Kim T.
on 8/1/04 1:17 pm - Dracut, MA
Hi all.. havent done this in awhile and i'm in need of some protein ideas.. i am having a horrible time choosing foods that agree with me, most especially proteins.. seems toast, crackers, popcorn, are easiest for me to digest. Have been getting sick lately because i've been trying different things. my ole standbys are yogurt, fruit juice popsicles, cheese and my protein shakes. I can't seem to do chicken or steak and i dont eat fish.. eggs are good one day and bad the next. Salads are a no go too... anyone have any suggestions??? or maybe a list of what you've eaten and i can take some ideas from there.. thanks and hope all are well.. ~Kim -60
Robin D.
on 8/2/04 12:06 am - Trempealeau, WI
Kim: For me I've discovered it I have protein drinks for breakfast/lunch and then eat a small amount of whatever we make for supper, I am okay. The minute I try to eat "food" at lunch, I get sick. Seems that if i stick with only one "meal" of regular food a day, I do fine. Also by doing the protein shakes twice/day I get almost all my protein in for the day. I also can't eat salads...they give me horrendous gas pains. I can handle hamburger helpers and tuna helpers. I also love egg salad. I do eat mashed potatoes, but add non-flavored protein powder to this. Robin
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/04 1:44 am - South of Boston, MA
It's my favorite kind of post! I've shared my list before of ideas- but I don't know when.. so I'll share what I'm eating *now*... I'm sorry you're having a hard time finding foods that agree with you... it's hard, I know... I've been lucky and haven't been sick *yet*.. but I've come close to throwing up at times. Here's what I eat- that agrees with me! (Note: I don't eat bread, crackers, pasta, rice...though it's hard to shy away from crackers, popcorn and "chips"... I'm trying not to eat any at alll...) Chick-peas or hummus Black-eyed peas (in any form..) Baked Beans (watch the sugar) Kidney Beans (dips, chili...salad...) Sunflower seeds, shelled... Cashews Peanuts ****asionally, I don't really like them) Nut butters (I don't eat them because I don't eat bread...) Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (try on a slice of tomato... yum!) "String" cheese, a good quick breakfast.. Ricotta cheese (I love a few spoonfuls plain, or in a recipe) Carb-Countdown Chocolate Milk (I don't like milk- but this will do) Cream cheese (just occasionally... a spoonful) Any cheese, shredded or melted (try cheddar on "Edge Tositos" 10 G protein in 10 chips...) Cottage cheese Any cheese, darn it!! "Deviled" eggs--- I can't eat whites, but I can eat the yolks, go figure! "Egg-beaters" (egg product) scrambled with cheese and veggies... Thin sliced deli turkey breast (try the flavored.... "Cracked Pepper" etc..) Thin sliced deli ham (try rosemary!) Thin sliced deli chicken Thin sliced deli roast beef Ready-cooked bacon (much thinner and crispy, not like making it homemade and having it too chewy) Meats I make at home: Shredded chicken breast (for chicken salad, topping a green salad, fajitas, tacos, with gravy... it's all about texture with chicken) Lean ground beef (mixed with gravy, taco salad, taco lettuce roll-ups, in spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, swedish meatballs,chili, burgers (don't overcook)...etc. Roast Beef (top round, spoon roast...) I cut a roast up to make a beef stew... so good! Expensive cuts of beef are generally better tolerated...tender I do *NOT* cook stew beef, cubed beef, cheap roasts- they are just too chewy... Ground turkey/chicken (use for anything you would use ground beef for) Chicken Sausage (Trader Joes' has a great selection...) Thin sliced pork tenderloin Beef or pork ribs, not over cooked... Soups- anything, homemade! Pea soup, meatball soup....chili, stews... Veggie burgers, Boca Burgers, Veggie sausage any soy protein food... I don't eat fruit yet, I don't like most and I'm afraid I'll dump on the kind I like. As for veggies, any low-carb will do.. I love all and tolerate all... I don't eat many because I'm usually too full once I finish my protein. Salads go fine for me, but I'm not having them so much anymore, because I don't eat enough protein when I'm eating salad. The kids are attacking me now, but I hope that helps some! Beth -80
Dawn C.
on 8/2/04 11:10 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Kim, Beth B. posted a good list. Just one comment. If you try any sausage - chicken or otherwise you may want to remove the casing after they are cooked. I got extremely sick with I didn't and my pouch is not sensitive. Sam's club also has a large selection of chicken sausage. Good luck! Dawn -57
Shelli_LessBelly
on 8/3/04 1:57 am - Creve Coeur, MO
I choke down a protein shake every morning for breakfast (30 grams of protein).....I do 1 scoop of chocolate SF Isopure with 8 ozs of skim milk........it gives me an energy boost to start off my day.....and then I only have to eat 30 more grams of protein the rest of the day. For lunch I usually eat thinly sliced deli meat with some light mayo and a slice of lorraine low fat swiss cheese rolled up inside. I also eat tuna salad or chicken salad with sliced tomatos and chunk of cheddar cheese. Sometimes I just have creamed soup, made with skim milk for added protein. For supper I eat fish, shrimp, crablegs, lobster, steak, hamburger, chicken, pork.......pretty much any kind of meat (4 oz serving size) with a small side of vegetable (usually asparagus, green beans, carrots, or peas). I have also been digging salads lately....I add grilled chicken slices on top for added protein. For snacks I eat peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pork rhinds, and beef jerky. I also snack on watermelon, caneloupe, strawberries and peaches (when I am craving something sweet). I have tolerated pretty much all types of meat, and have never had anything get "stuck." I've never dumped either......but I haven't had any sugar to make me dump.....and I don't plan on eating sugar either. Last nite I watched my entire family eat birthday cake and chocolate chip cookies, while I had some watermelon. I was happy as could be with my fresh, juicy watermelon and didn't miss the cake or cookies one bit. Shelli open RNY on 4/14/04 -83 lbs......and counting!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views