I hoped for reverse effect.

Ira T.
on 7/28/04 11:57 pm - IL
Hello everyone. I had my surgery on April 6. Started at 214 at the day of surgery (220lb - 2 days fefore the surgery). Now I am 159. Another 3 pounds and I will be just overweight. Another 37 pounds and I am at goal. Sounds great, isn't it? Now, the problem. No dumping on bad foods at all. I can eat sugar (already tried some cake), french fries, candies, crackers, you name it. Fortunately, right now I am not hungry and do not have cravings for those, but the fact that I can eat them, is already killing me. My hunger will eventually come back and then it's all come back to self-discipline, which I never had before. The funny thing that I still struggle with meat and eggs. Can eat only blended meat. Just amasing, all crap goes down perfectly fine and good stuff is not. Shouldn't this be like in reverse. At least, I hoped for some natural restrictions about bad things. Is anyone like me? or I am the only "lucky" one??? Best regards Ira
Rachelq
on 7/29/04 12:09 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Ira, I know just how you feel. Other than breads and really dense food, I can eat anything. And I feel the same way. I picked a bypass over lap band because the 'dumping' gave me hope for sticking with the 'diet' longer. I love losing this weight, and I love not being hungry...but you're right, we've got a long road ahead of us. I'm doing my best now to get into the minds set of what I'm willing to put into my body. Hopefully by the time I get to goal, it will be deeply engranded. Good luck my friend! Rachel
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/04 11:23 am - South of Boston, MA
Okay, now is the time to "pretend" those foods make you sick as a dog. Don't allow yourself to have those foods, and it will become habit. Someone told me it takes three solid months to create a habit... so give it time. I *do dump, but it comes in spurts and sometimes on foods that wouldn't normally bother me. My husband who also had RNY doesn't dump on a lot of "sugar" foods, and needs to stay FAR away from them, because he knows he can eat them, and will. I don't eat any real sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, or high carb foods if I can help it. My biggest vice is staying away from crispy foods like chips or crackers because they go down too easy. I found EDGE Tostitos with lots of protein in them, and they kick the urge bigtime! Oh, and the no-sugar added or sugar-free foods sometimes make me dump... I won't be eating SF ice cream anymore, and certain types of protein bars.... :P Someone said that they can create more cravings... Eggs aren't my friend still.. only hard-boiled yolks will go down...I can eat most meat now, finally.... although I don't like fish... I eat a small variety of food still........... So- it's protein foods all the time.. nothing else except for a few veggies for me. Beth -77 or so...
ElvisGreaserGirl
on 7/29/04 11:44 am - Los Angeles, CA
Ira.. I had surgery the same date as you 04/06. Same weight as you 215. I am now 152. Im wondering about the additional 37 pounds. I think if I lose another 15 I will be really skinny. I am 5'4 and a size 6... I must say.. Im a dumper.. a terrible.. terrible.. big dumper. I dump on fat, and sugar.. so it keeps my ass in line.. Dont you love the way you look and found a new way to eat the past 4 months? I am sure you have developed new eating patterns..and why worry about when you get hungry.. when you get hungry..eat the right things!
Ira T.
on 7/29/04 11:25 pm - IL
Hi, Thank you for responce. I am barely 5'1 (actually, less, I am 154cm). I checked my frame and found that I have large. According to all tables I should be between 122-137. Right now I am not skinny at all. I wear size 14 (I can probably wear size 12 pants, but they are still too tight). I love the way I look now (actually, I was in this weight about 6 years ago, after dieting under supervision of very very expensive doctor. Then we moved to USA and I started to gain weight back - no self-discipline. I also do not like sport at all). So, you can see my problem in the future. I just wish I would dump on bad stuff. But, I will try to follow your advise: to eat the right things.
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/04 12:17 am - Lost in Woods, PA
Ira, I don't want to flame your or upset you but i have to ask this question - why did you try the cake or anything else you are not supposed to be eating. It seems that you need to get around to dealing with the mental issues here. You have already blown the tool but finding out you can eat these things without dumping now you have to work on your other tool - your brain. you have to train yourself that these things are not good for you or you will end up eating around the surgery (which is quite possible). I have not experimented with the sweets or crisps at this point and i don' think i will - i don't want to know if i dum*****t - i want this to work and if the only way it will is if i stay away from those things, then that is what i must do. I didn't risk my life by having this surgery only to eat around it. Put down the cake and crisps - pick up the protien. Make notes to your self if you have to. If you have the food in the house because of your family - simply tell them they can't have it in the house until you pick up better habits. I know that having food police around doesn't sound like fun but maybe you need to ask your family to become the food police for several months until you learn better eating habits. Try to find the root of the problem - you tested these foods for what reason - are you just lazy, is it emotional eating, is there something else. Get some HELP!! Talk to your surgeon or nutrionist but please get help. Also, you MUST get active - even if it is just walking - take a walk it will do you wonders. It is quite possible to eat around this surgery - yes you will loose now but in the long run, you will gain if you do not change these habits.....put down the fork and think about it. You are here asking for help - ask for help also from the people around you if you are not capable of stopping yourself....ask your family...ask your friends....just please get help to stop from testing and do the right thing. Good luck open rny 4/19/2004 305/255/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views