Anyone having problems eating?

Middlesgirl
on 7/17/04 1:06 pm - Lansing, MI
So far I have lost over 80 pounds, but much of that is due to how little I am able to eat. I can handle chili, mashed potatoes, salad, yogurt, and that is about it. I cannot do breads, chicken, any kind of wraps, fresh fruit, and apparently, meatloaf I do have protein powders, but I am so tired of the milky, frothy shakes I could scream!!! I am so thankful for the weight loss, but am terrified it's never going to get better, and am I burning muscle along with the fat? Any advice?
wildrose021
on 7/17/04 4:02 pm - MN
I have the same problem. i eat pretty much what you eat and it sucks. i have no idea why but i see my nurse on the 29th hopefully i find out then. i can only have the broth from chili and no meat for me. i dont see many people with this problem so i'll have to check this thread again.
MonCheriAmour
on 7/17/04 10:41 pm - Lansing, MI
Hi Erin: I see we had the same surgeon. My struggle with food changes from day to day. Some day's I can have a certain food, and then maybe the next day, I can't eat that particular food. Have you tried to eat soup? Crab leg's are a very tender meat? Potted meat? Taco bell pinto bean's and cheese? That is just a few suggestions. A friend of mine copied btc food guide. If you come to the support group meeting in August and IRMC, I will try and give you other food ideas. It really does vary from day to day, and person to person. Congrat's on the weight loss. Cheri
Sue B
on 7/19/04 7:41 am - WI
I am in the same boat & have been told that everyone's body adjusts to the surgery differently. I cannot tolerate chicken, red meat, ground beef, turkey ... no bread rice or pasta ... until 2 days ago no tuna. Now all the sudden Tuna is okay. I hope that you soon become able to tolerate more - it really stinks! I eat the pintos & cheese from Taco Bell, I do the Chili from Wendy's for a change - I have one or the other 1x a week. Good Luck & hope you feel better!
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/04 11:14 am - South of Boston, MA
Hello FWIW- I don't eat *any bread, potatoes, crackers, rice, tortilla/wraps, pasta, etc... and I don't really plan on trying to either! Most just don't have enough nutrition in them anyways- and I don't have enough room for them- the protein takes up all the space, you know? And, FTR- the high-protein pasta is not too tasty, IMO. Potatoes are a weakness for me though- since they go down TOO easily, I can't make them anymore. I steal a french fry here and there- and will have a bite in my soup, I cannot make mashed anymore, because it's just too easy to overdo it. Until this week, I couldn't tolerate chicken at all. I can eat beef (*only tender cuts cooked appropriately) , I haven't tried pork, I don't like seafood... so I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I'm eating mainly proteins and small amounts of well-cooked veggies or green salads. For proteins, I eat turkey breast, lean ground beef (meatloaf, swedish meatballs, meatballs in sauce, medium well done roast beef (I've made a top round roast that came out plenty moist enough...filet mignon, prime rib...) lean ham ****asionally), tender cooked chicken breast, skinless chicken thighs, cheese (mozzarella, hard cheddar or any kind in shredded form, which I can eat easier) BEANS (any kind, go down SO WELL! Try chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, black eyed peas...etc...) Also, nuts... I adore cashews, peanuts, almonds... and nut butters, though I don't have anything to put them "on"... since I don't do crackers or bread. I also eat protein bars, when I can't decide WHAT to eat- I like Odyssey bars, though I never finish them. Also, any sort of "crispy" low carb high protein bar... As for vegetables- salad vegetables have been fine so far--- I do not eat raw carrots, yet... Cooked, most anything is great! I ADORE steamed green beans with butter and salt. I do not eat many veggies, since I get full on proteins so fast... if I have room, veggies are a treat. I love most any vegetable---- but I tend to eat them first, so I have them as snack or if I've already hit my protein goal. I don't like many fruits, and many are high in sugar, so I don't bother. Now that I've written a book... I'll stop Beth RNY 4/5/04 -73
Pegtrala
on 7/19/04 11:50 am - Beaverton, OR
Beth, this was so informative. I got some good ideas from your list of foods. I tend to eat the same things over and over again, and then I get bored. Thanks for writing a book. It was well worth reading! Peggy RNY 4/27/04 -46
Middlesgirl
on 7/19/04 12:16 pm - Lansing, MI
Wow, I think my head is still spinning from the options you listed!!Thanks so much. I did leave off veggies, and green beans are currently my fave. I wasn't much of a meat eater to begin with, and the horrible feeling in creates in my stomach *ugh*. I really hope once I start producing acid again, I will be able to enjoy chicken and and foods. Just as a sidebar, this website has been a tremendous support for me. You guys and gals KNOW what I am talking about, whereas everyone just pretends to make me feel better. Keep up the good work!!
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/04 11:55 am - South of Boston, MA
I'm glad I could help! I'm really interested in how all of us eat each day, because it really helps to know we're all different and to get ideas. I enjoy cooking, and really don't want to lose interest just because I'm eating so little, and not a huge variety... Anyways- I love reading the website also, and I read here first, because it's good to see that we're all experiencing the same sort of things at the *same time. Beth -75, yay!
janet B.
on 7/20/04 4:02 am - elizabethtown, IN
Erin, I'm at work and just finished a small salad with shrimp, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, and cheese. Breakfast for me today was a banana, not the best choice. My morning snack was soy crisps made by Gen Soy. I found them at Walmart and because they are made from soybeans they do have some protein in them. I still have trouble with most meats and have to cut it up in very small bites and chew, chew, chew. I'm like the others it does fill me up fast. I do not eat bread, rice, or pasta but I have an occasional baked potato or mashed but try not to do that more than once every two weeks. If I eat a potato I feel like I need to exercise more! Everything is trial and error and from reading posts from others it sounds like we are all in the same boat. Breakfast is the hardest for me, I am always on the run so some days it's a protein shake or a piece of fruit. I do Rasin Bran once in awhile. If anyone has any good suggestions for breakfast I would be interested. I got my fill of eggs in the first six weeks after surgery and they just don't appeal to me anymore. I enjoy reading the posts on this site. I always go first to the WLS reunion for April 2004 because I feel that you are all where I am right now and it helps me to know that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views