Grazing = a big no-no!

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/04 12:30 pm - South of Boston, MA
Well folks- I'm having issues. I have been slacking in reading posts (something I *was doing frequently to keep myself in check...) and slacking in logging my food daily (also something to keep myself in check!) I'm finding myself not making good food choices, taking too long to decide *WHAT to eat and then grazing on whatever I can find that is somewhat suitable. What on earth are Y O U guys eating everyday? I'm slacking bigtime, I need reassurance! FWIW- todays' smorgasbord: Crystal Light Iced Tea (about 32 oz****d Latte with milk & splenda (about 8 oz milk), 2 wheat & cheddar sandwich crackers, the topping from a piece of hamburger & onion pizza slice (no crust), EDGE Cheetos, a handful, (soy protein, but c'mon, I shouldn't even have these available!), a pinch of shredded cheese, a few pinches bacon bits (ARGH!!!)... are you catching my problem here?! A completely awful day, too much salt, fat and nothing redeeming? All because I didn't pay attention and didn't cook for myself. If this had been a typical day, I would have had a protein shake for breakfast, and a protein bar in the afternoon.... instead of all the junk. Beth
Rondaslosinit
on 7/9/04 10:45 pm - Richardson, TX
Hi Beth, Thanks so much for your honesty about your struggle. We all have good days and bad days. Sounds like you are craving salt. Are you about to start your period? Or is something else going on? That whole emotional eating thing can jump up and get you sometimes too. I struggle with the same things when I don't plan ahead well enough, which unfortunately can be often. It is nice to know, I'm not alone. For instance: Yesterday, I had 0 breakfast . For lunch, 2 slices of deli ham, a handful of REGULAR BBQ potato chips and a pickle. Loaded with salt Snack: protein bar. For dinner, a 3 oz. hamburger patty - grilled, 2 TBSPN baked beans, 4 steak fries. Late night panic for lack of protein - protein shake. A perfectly awful day too. I say, let's put it behind us and start a new day fresh. Get back to checking in and journaling your food and you will automatically start making better choices. Don't beat yourself up, just start over. We CAN do better! I've already started today out right - protein shake. How about you? What are you going to do for lunch today? Ronda
DianneW
on 7/10/04 12:10 am - Louisville, KY
Beth, I've had some bad days too and have found it harder and harder to get my protien shakes in. I have to get more organized, and plan and write things down. It's a process. Dianne
Rachelq
on 7/10/04 12:13 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I totally wish they would have altered my brain along with my stomach. It is so hard to change eating habits. I had an "all bread all the time" fest the other day. One thing that sticks in my mind is something that my support group leader said. "After surgery, you don't have to wait till monday to start your next diet. Start eating right as soon as you catch yourself." I keep bag salads and spinach on hand as well as salmon in the foil pouch. It makes for a quick and satisfying meal. Good luck to you...let's keep sharing and keeping each other in check. Rachel
MonCheriAmour
on 7/10/04 1:52 am - Lansing, MI
Beth I have had some day's just like yours... I do know that when I plan meals and snacks, organize, and chart what I am eating I do soooooo much better. We april people should try to check in daily, and post what we are eating so we can help each other? I know that I do better when I am held to more accountablity... I am glad we have this forum, so we can be honest about where we are TRULY at in this journey... Good Luck and God Bless everyone on this site!! Cheri
bky962
on 7/11/04 6:53 am - Visalia, CA
i have those days also and today is one of them. I get upset with myself and then I eat more. I try and stay away from the "CARBS" but its is hard somrtimes. I just try and snap out of what ever mood I'm in and correct my eating mode to a healthier one.
Josie C.
on 7/11/04 7:40 am - High Desert, CA
Awww Beth, Do I sympathize...I've been fortunate to be able to keep a pretty strict regimine going...I think because I always keep it in the back of my mind I have a lot of weight to lose and I need to take advantage of honeymoon period. Since I get up at an ungodly hour of 4:30 am and have to take thyroid medication which prevents me from eating right away...so I usually start with a protein bar for breakfast and if I have lectures back to back...I am the speaker...I usually opt for the protein shake or if I have time, Taco Bell Pinto's n' Cheese. I have a bag of flash frozen chicken thighs in the freezer, I plug in the old George Foreman Grill and put one of them on while I change so I can go to the gym. Mind you this sounds like I am doing great...and I am doing good; however, I do get those cravings...and lately it has been for salty things. What I've been doing instead of caving into my need for Doritos is eating Sunflower Seeds in the shell. I usually measure out a few ozs and nibble on them when I am doing something mindless...watching TV. They curb my urge to snack and satisfy my need for the salt. Mind you I have to be very careful and measure them out first...they are high in fat...the first time I didn't measure and practically ate the whole bag before I realized what I was doing. Just realizing what you are doing is the first step into fixing it...so get back to your food log. Good Luck getting back on track and just remember you are not alone. -50
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/04 1:11 pm - South of Boston, MA
Thanks everyone for your replies! I think part of my problem *was due to the impending doom coming, "Auntie Flow" came to visit this morning... Today was better, *until tonight!! B- 2 scoops Isopure & 8 oz 2% milk (58 G protein) L- Iced Latte with whole milk and splenda X's 2 S- 2 olives, 2 tortilla chip strips, few "tastes" of chili...(while cooking, bad, I should have eaten a meal at lunchtime!! ) D- Homemade Chili w/ beef & beans, shredded cheese, dollop sour cream probably 1/4 to 1/2 cup S- 24 oz Crystal Light, Atkins Peanut Cluster Bar (DELICIOUS--- but it's been wanting to make a repeat performance for two hours.... ) This has been a high protein & calorie day for me--- I never get this much protein in... it's a good thing, but the calories are at the limit. -Beth -70... and stuck again
Pegtrala
on 7/11/04 1:13 pm - Beaverton, OR
Hi Beth and the rest of you April buddies. I am so relieved to read your messages! My story is a little different in that although I am morbidly obese, the reason I had stomach surgery is because I had stomach cancer. I am praying that it doesn't reoccur. I do know that just because we had surgery does not mean the urge to eat was eliminated. I am going to have to learn the tools to help me lose the weight and maintain it. It helps to read your hints. A friend of mine who was once overweight told me that she would rather be miserable wanting to eat than miserable being overweight. I have to agree with her. Even losing 40 lbs is allowing me to do more things, and I am looking forward to being able to do more and more things as I recover from my surgery and lose more weight. You all are the best! Peg
DEB W.
on 7/12/04 12:21 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Hey to all April people!! I had a rough week with grazing too. Mine was due to the fact My son is home from Iraq for two weeks!!! I have really missed him and bought all kinds of foods he loves, and cooked all he loves too!! I wasn't going to work each day (took off to be with him) so I wasn't on my routine. I really believe sticking with the routine is the key. Week-ends are always more difficult due to change is rountine. So on Saturdays I yard sale and take my protein shake and bottled water with me. This way I am getting what I need. And as a side bar note: stay out of heat..I got very ill a few weeks ago because I went yard saling first and then to my son's baseball game..threw up at least three times and almost passed out. I dehydrated terrribly. So watch the heat ya'll. Anyway I have been grazing too. I am trying to increase my protein with bars too. This does help. I always have one in my purse..can't keep them in the car cuz they melt. ha ha Hope this helps deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views