Trouble parting with old clothes?

Jan K.
on 7/7/04 1:38 am - Aurora, OH
I can not bring myself to let go of my "larger" clothing. Why? Because I'm sure I'll need them again..I always have in the past, so will this time really be different? And although I know it will, I can't clean out that closet..Another problem is that although I've lost 60 lbs (surgery date 4/14/04), I can still wear most of my old clothes..they are big and loose, but certainly not "falling off". Why is that when so many of you have to buy new wardrobes every month? So are there any others out there who can't part with the old wardrobe, or are all of you happy to see them go?? Thanks to all of you who update your profiles and post on this board..I read it every day and get such inspiration from you all. Jan
Tina MR
on 7/7/04 1:50 am - Ruidoso Downs, NM
Hi Kay....I haven't had any trouble parting with my old clothes, but then I hated them anyway. Mine are by no means "falling" off. Some of them are pretty big and I can pull a couple of pairs of my jeans off without unbuttoning them but the majority of them are just baggy and big but I still wear them. They only ones I have gotten rid of are the ones that make me look bigger than I am now. If the pants are uncomfortable or the shirts are kinda ugly I don't hesitate to get rid of them. I'll get rid of the rest when they are REALLY big. I figure another 20 pounds or so and I won't be able to wear many of the pants anymore at all. I haven't bought many things yet. I've bought 1 pair of pants, a pair of capris and about 4 shirts. A friend that had surgery about 5 months before me gave me a huge sack of clothes that I was able to get some use out of too so that was really great. Set your mind that you are not going to need those large clothes and part with them. Anything "new" will make you feel really pretty. Mine do anyway. Good Luck Tina Open RNY 04/09/04 272/220/136
Jan K.
on 7/7/04 2:28 am - Aurora, OH
Thanks Tina.. You know, you and I started out at almost exactly the same weight and I had my surgery on the 14th so we are pretty close! My surgery was done lap..the 272/220/136 I assume is starting weight, current weight and is the 136 goal? Just wondering..and thanks for your input and for letting me know I'm not the only one who can still wear their clothes..do you have loose skin? Are you losing hair? I do and I am! Thanks again Jan
Donna Paige
on 7/7/04 2:08 am - Pottstown, PA
Hiya Jan! I for whatever reason seem to be losing more inches than lbs. I can't wear my clothes because my top half is soooo much smaller than my hips and bottom. I have managed to go down from 32/34W to a 24W/26W. The 26's are starting to get really big. My top half is an 18 so you know what i'm dealing with. I can't even find clothes to fit me at this point. I wear alot of knits. 4/12/04 -Open RNY- Distal 339/268
irisheyes
on 7/7/04 3:38 am - Harmony, MN
I can't weight to get rid of all my clothes! I am still wearing some that are pretty baggy but it's just because i can't spend a ton of money going out and buying new clothes all the time. I have bought 2 pairs of shorts, and a couple of shorts, and will brpbably wear them until they start to fall of me as well. Katie
Jan K.
on 7/7/04 4:02 am - Aurora, OH
Katie: I surely understand the not wanting to spend money on clothes! I love clothes shopping, but I'd rather get a whole new wardrobe when I'm closer to goal, than spend money now on clothes that someday will be too big..Luckily, a lot of my stuff is strechy material, so those are fine..for now. Good luck to you! Thanks for your response! Jan
Josie C.
on 7/7/04 3:48 am - High Desert, CA
You are not alone...I am having a tough time too; however, I made a decision and refuse to look backwards. So I put two boxes in my bedroom one marked trash and the other marked donate. I have closets full of clothes going from 30/32 to 16...jeans, skirts, tops...I have a department store in my own home. Every Sunday I try on a smaller pair of pants and top...if they fit the other clothes go into the boxes. It has been tough...I found myself wanting to hang on to some and had to force myself to put them in the box. My sister has the same problem...she has been wearing the same clothes since she had surgery on 5/26 and people have commented on her weight loss, but she didn't see it. It took walking down a hallway and seeing herself full length in a mirror to realize her clothes were beginning to hang on her. (See post on California Board, 7/6/04 7:16 pm by Lucy Roe) People talk about head hunger, but we also have head image it is tough to see ourselves differently. Each day I look in the mirror and I don't see the change, but my clothes tell me differently. You just gotta take the bull by the horns and do it. -50 PS: I did keep one outfit...as a reminder of how large I had become.
Jan K.
on 7/7/04 3:56 am - Aurora, OH
Josie: What a great system! I too have a department store in my own home! While I know I don't change sizes on a weekly basis..or monthly basis for that matter, I think I might try a "once a month try on" and THEN perhaps I can start looking forward instead of back! Actually, I have a closet full of size 12-14's from my last successful weight loss prior to surgery..which were purchased on sale for the next summer and NEVER worn because, of course, I gained the weight back and never got into them! You know what? I hope they are all too big by next summer! LOL! Thanks again. Jan
crabby
on 7/7/04 6:40 am - small town, MO
I've lost 80 pounds and am still wearing some things I wore prior to surgery. They were snug then, and really hanging on me now. I just don't have the money to go and replace everything. I did buy a new bathing suit though and will wear it for the first time tomorrow! I was size 30-32 and it's a 24. Lulu
Jan K.
on 7/7/04 1:47 pm - Aurora, OH
Lulu! Congratulations on your success! You've lost a lot of sizes and I'm jealous.. Hope you have a sunny day for your new bathing suit and I wish you continued success on your weight loss journey. Jan
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views