Curves for women?

Michele C.
on 6/29/04 4:52 am - Eatontown, NJ
Hi Everyone, I am a little over 2 months post op and have lost about 45lbs...yea! I am currently just walking for exercise but have heard that after my 3 month follow up visit (July 14th) I will need to start doing some REAL exercising. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about CURVES for women. I just gave them a call to get some general info and it sounds good. Does anyone have any experience or comments about them? Or maybe another suggestion. I have NEVER been into exercise but know it's important for me to start. Thanks and best wishes to all...Michele
Josie C.
on 6/29/04 8:36 am - High Desert, CA
Hi Michele, I go to Curves. Started a year before my surgery and got the OK to return a week ago. It is a great workout; however, I will preface this with that if you are a real workout junkie or need stuff like free weights, treadmills, etc...this is not the place for you. I do it because it is as strenous as you want to make it. Plus I have a lot of weight to lose and I feel self conscious in a regular gym. That's my two cents. -45
Michele C.
on 6/29/04 9:41 am - Eatontown, NJ
Thanks a lot Josie, I really appreciate your response....and I am NOT a workout Junkie....what you said sounds perfect....good luck and thanks again. Michele
Donna P.
on 6/29/04 9:54 am - Carterville, IL
Michele, I have been going to curves for about a month now and I like it. The employees at the one I go to are a little hyper, but I guess that's part of their job. I like it mostly because it's only 30 minutes. I drive 2 hours each way to work and work an eight hour day, so I don't have a lot of time to spend working out. Oh yeah, 3 kids too! Good luck to you! Donna
Rachelq
on 6/29/04 10:05 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I know about a 1/2 a dozen people that go there and love it. I read an article it fintness magazine about Curves. It said it is great for the beginner exerciser, but to add walking into your regiem for a full cardio workout (apparently the cardio you get there isn't enough). Also, they said that after 1-1/2 - 2 years, you have to move on to a more difficult workout program. I've never been so I have no personal experience, but I figure its convenient, uncomplicated and doable...all of the elements of something most people can stick to (and that's the most important thing!). Good Luck to you! Rachel
JoyCook
on 6/29/04 11:48 am - Little Rock, AR
I joined last month (my surgery was 3/1). I really like it. It is ordinary women--not jocks. The workout is as easy or hard as you make it to be. There is one everywhere. I joined 30 miles away where I work, but work out at the one near me 1/2 the time. Everyone has a good time, so it is much more fun than working out alone. Also, there is a good deal if you go and sign up with a friend. Only $37 signup fee and $30/mo. I just finished a month and lost 14". Everyone applauded when I was measured! Joy -51 lbs since 3/1
Dawn C.
on 6/29/04 11:02 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
I joined last September to help get myself used to exercising. I love it! And I DO NOT like to exercise. I am fortunate that there is one within 2 miles of my home. The big advantage is that it is only 30 minutes. When you work full time and have kids at least you can get a workout without spending 2 hours at a gym. Like previous posters have said once you get more fit you may need to move on. I am going to sign up again for another year then re-evaluate. I also do Leslie Sansone's walking tapes. Good luck! Dawn
Michele C.
on 6/30/04 2:22 am - Eatontown, NJ
thanks so much for the feedback...I appreciate it...good luck to you. Michele
Michele C.
on 6/30/04 2:23 am - Eatontown, NJ
Thanks to everyone for the great response, I appreciate it and I think I will give it a try....I'll post more once I get started.... Best of luck to everyone....Michele
cricket_nj
on 6/30/04 10:19 am - Butler, NJ
I just joined two weeks ago....doctor finally gave me the OK. Like others, I joined one near my home but, I have also visited the one near my work (42 miles away). Everyone there is just a normal person....no musclemen or folks like that. And yes, some of the people that work there are hyper but, it keeps things fun I think. I found the cost to be good, too, althoguh I see that someone else *****plied pays less. For me, it was a $37 initial fee and $39 monthly. Could be the metro area I'm in? Anyhow, I love it so far. Debbie
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views