Nutritional Quiz

Middlesgirl
on 6/13/04 10:55 am - Lansing, MI
Ok everyone I need your input.... The nutritionist that was supposed to see me in the hospital never showed, so I really don't have much of an idea about counts.... How much protein per day? Carb limit? Calcium needs? Anything else your's might have told you. Thanks a bunch!
Rugman
on 6/13/04 12:53 pm - Lumberton, NC
I had surgery on 04/27.... this is my regiment... everyday I take two flintstone complete vitamins... chewables.. also take two chewable tums for calcium. My goal is to take in an avg of 60g of protein everyday. I really have not counted my carbs. I have lost a total of 90 pounds including about 27 prior to surgery. Hope this helped you some... God bless!
DianneW
on 6/14/04 12:39 am - Louisville, KY
I take two calcium tablets per day, a centrum vitimin, two iron pills, two mega B12s (500mcg each), and 80g of protien per day. I have lost 60 pounds since my surgery. Good luck. Dianne
acanesfan296
on 6/14/04 1:34 am - Boca Raton, FL
At my weight (started at 285) the nutritionist told me I need 83-100g of protein per day, so that's what I have been doing. I use fitday.com (it's free) every day to calculate how much protein and carbs I am taking in. I don't really count carbs right now, but I'm keeping my eye on them. I don't eat any fast foods and I don't eat anything that has sugar or white flour in it. My doctor has us taking 6 (yes six!!!) 1000 calcium pills per day. I think it's overkill, but he insists that we need that much because of the malabsorption thing.
Debra S.
on 6/14/04 8:38 am - Hillsborough, NJ
I had surgery on 4/15/04 and have been to a nutritionist. He told me as did my dietician to eat between 60-70 grams of protein per day and that includes one protein shake utilized as liquids not a meal. She told me that I could have up to 100 grams of carbs a day and calcium should be between 1000-1200 per day. I am taking a chewable vitamin put out by Novartis that is 4 chewables a day and gets you all your essential vitamins needed. You can order it directly on Walgreens.com it is called Optisource and it is citrus flavor. I hope this helps, so far I am down 45 pounds and am feeling great. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
Diana S.
on 6/15/04 9:39 am - Lawton, OK
Here's my instructions: I take a liquid multivitamin daily plus 3 Tums for calcium. I was told a minimum of 60 grams of protein a day, closer to 90 if you want to avoid hair loss. I don't count carbs but I was told to stay away from pastas, breads, sugars and fried foods. Hope it gives you some help. Diana
e W.
on 6/16/04 2:31 pm - Birmingham, AL
Jeez...my nutritionist said not to take Tums because they neutralize what little stomach acid we've got and make the absorption of the calcium very difficult for your system. I'd hate for your bones to get brittle thinking you're doing everything right...maybe you should ask someone about that...
Jeanette R.
on 6/23/04 4:01 am - Northern, IL
Better late than never.... Here's what my nutritionist said. Protein at least 60g per day Limit Carbs to 50g per day Don't eat too much fat, but since we malabsorb fat, you don't have to watch it too much. Be careful, though as too much fat will make you dump (well, it does for many people anyway) I also take: Calcium CITRATE = 1200-1500mg per day Multivitamin w/o Iron = 2 per day Trinsicon (Iron & B12 prescription) = 1 per day and drink 48-64 oz. of water a day. However, I called my surgeon the other day and they have now switched their patients to Optisource. You take 4 a day and it gives you all the vitamins, iron, B12 and Calcium you need. Like it was said above, they are available at walgreens.com and are $24.99 for a 30 day supply. I'll be switching as soon as I use all my Trinsicon up as that was $60 for a 3 month supply and I don't want to waste my money. You might also check with the outpatient dietician at a local hospital (even if you go somewhere other than where you had your surgery). Just make sure that GB is done there so the dieticians are familiar with the diet regimine we need.
Tracy V.
on 6/23/04 10:58 am - chicago, IL
RNY on 04/26/04 with
hi. had surgery 4-26-04. i was sent home 2wks purried. with that protien:60 grams per day incorparate protien in every meal. ( my nutritionist at northwestern Chicago) has this double protien milk recipes. 1 1/3 cup of non fat powderd milk(carnation) 4 cups of skim or 1% or soy milk this yeild 1quart. your carb limit is 3grm per 100 cal. and when you read the lables "sugar can not be one of the first 3 ingerdients. vitamins. i took 1 flinstone chewable for the first month. now i take a prenate vitamins and b12 subligual.after that you are upgraded (lol) to soft like then salads and your meat has to be cut up into small peices and chew food real real good because if you don't you will feel it.:angle:
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views