Weight still standing still

Eternity
on 6/8/04 11:41 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Hi all it's me again. Today was my offical weigh in for my 9th wk. I have not lost ONE Freakin pound. I'm still at 284. What the heck should I do? Please don't get tired of my complaining but I really don't want to see 284 next wk. What should I do differently?
Donna Paige
on 6/8/04 11:56 pm - Pottstown, PA
LOL! I know exactly how you feel. I've been at 280-279lbs for so darn long I think my body has camped out at that. It's been like 3weeks of more since I've lost a lb. Wish I knew what to tell you. If you find out anything let me know. I'm just as frustrated. I thought I would be at around 260lbs by now.
Eternity
on 6/9/04 12:09 am - Bridgeport, CT
Hi donnna, I just got off the phone with the RN at my surgeons office and she said that if my clothes are feeling looser than my body is reconfigurating and that is just as good as seeing the scale go down. But what alarmed me is that she said that i should be eating at max 900 calories daily. I told her that I was probably only eating like 500 daily. I only eat three times a day. I asked her if i should add snacks inbetween meals and she said NO. She said if I'm not hungry then don't. But the other day at the Gym I spoke with my trainer and he said that i should be eating 5 times a day. Very small portions of course. I just don't know what to do. I did call the nutritionist that works with my surgeon, maybe I can get some real solide info from her. I will post back here with her advice.
DianneW
on 6/9/04 1:00 am - Louisville, KY
Are you getting your protien in? I think that is really important. Dianne
L D.
on 6/9/04 1:27 am - IN
Hey Eternity! Sisters in plateaus UNITE! I'm right there with you. I've been losing and gaining the same 2 pounds for 3 weeks now. And being so soon after my last plateau too. I'ts very discouraging seeing others at the same start date and weight as yourself down 20 or so MORE pounds than you are (even while I'm happy for their weight-loss, I wish I was doing the same) And all the while the bills from the surgery are trickling in reminding you HOW much this cost (emotionally and physically) I am getting all the protein in and liquids AND exercising, WHAT else can I do but wait, I guess. If this is happening so soon after the surgery, I'm scared to think about longer term out. My goal weight seems so far away now. Elisha 4/23/04 289/253/150
lauryn P.
on 6/9/04 1:35 am - or
Hi~ why don't you try testing your body, I did and this is what I found out.....If I consume a little more calories (average for me is 350; not good) and drink more liquids, I break the plataue(sp) and things start moving again. I have also been keeping track of EVERYTHING on fitday, my mood, weight(yes daily), calories, and I even keep a diary. I know some people are totaly against weighing, I do it to learn my bodies pattern, like when that time of the month hits, I gained 2 pounds but it came back off when I was done, I don't let the scale influance my mood or progress because I know that my weight is going down. I just want to learn how my body works so I can work with it and not against it Fitday has been a HUGE help. I know that all medical proffesionals are different, but, my dietician did say to eat six small meals...she said that could be 3 meals 3 snacks, that keeps our bodies from going int starvation mode........WOW, maybe I should follow my own advice!! Any way....I hope some of the info might help you, it's been working for me...I'm down 42 pounds. Don't get discouraged, it WILL happen for you. (((Hugs)))~*Lauryn*~
Rachelq
on 6/9/04 2:25 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Eternity. I may very well be on a platue too. I haven't weighed myself though. its seems week 5-9 is hard for a lot of people. I did put on a jacket last night and was surprised to find it is getting too big. Have you been measuring yourself. That is a much better way to go. Also, 500 cals is not much. Your body is trying to hold on to everything. Of course if your not hungry don't pu**** Just try to add a little more every day. My surgeon recommends 6 meals a day for now and eventually 3 with no snacks. My nutritionist says to stick with the six small meals. So not even professionals can agree. It is so confusing. What I'm doing now is eating 4 meals of about 150 calories each then I have 2 - 90 calorie protien drinks. I'm getting about 60 grams of protien and at least 65oz of clear fluids. I'm also walking daily (only 25 mins and not very fast). I also log everything into fit day. Fit day is really helping get a grip on what I'm eating. I had added baked beans into my diet. But I found that even though they're a good source of protien, they had a lot of calories from carbs. It was hard for me to get all of my protien in for the day and keep my calories right. So I nixed them from my diet for now. I know this is frustrating but the psychologist that conducts our support group says she has never known anyone to not lose in the initial phases. So you will lose!
Donna Paige
on 6/9/04 2:46 am - Pottstown, PA
It just really makes you feel like a failure. There is no way I'm going to get in 900 calories of food. My stomach would just throw it right back up. I tried eating the other night. Maybe 1 oz. of country style steak, about 4 string beans and a small spoonful of potatoes. I probably got in a bite of steak (i mean a real small bite) and maybe 2 String beans and a taste of the potato. I was sooo full I had to lay down afterwards. I felt like I had been on an eating binge for a week. I do believe my pouch is only 1 oz. It takes me forever just to eat that little bit. There's gotta be a secret to this thing. I've tried bribing the scales. LOL. I must say however I bought a dress at walmart. Just a little knit dress which actually fit me at the top. It was full so it covers my bottom end(the largest part of me). It was a size 18/20. My butt however is a size 26. Perhaps we should measure and see what kinda of result we get from that. I have to invest in a measuring tape before I commit murder on my scales. I'M SO NOT PATIENT! Can't you tell!! LOL!
Ira T.
on 6/9/04 3:35 am - IL
In my support group people, usually, recommend to change diet complitely if somebody stops losing. Try absolutely different foods, give you body a little shock. Maybe, do not eat at all for a day. Change you daily routine. Eat at different times, try different exercises, you know, just some how "shake" you body. Good luck to you.
acanesfan296
on 6/9/04 3:37 am - Boca Raton, FL
Eternity, I am 9 weeks out and here's my experience. I lost 28 pounds the first month. The second month I ran into a problem keeping protein down -- I just couldn't, so I quit eating it. I would drink two protein shakes a day, but for about 2 weeks that's pretty much all I had. I figured I would lose thousands of pounds! Guess what? I weighed in at the support group meeting and found out I had only lost 11 pounds the whole month! I couldn't believe it. Told the doctor about how little I had been eating and how unfair this was and what the heck was wrong, etc. etc. etc. Found out that if you don't get in at least 800 calories a day your body goes into total starvation mode and YOU DON'T LOSE WEIGHT. Is that unfair or what! Protein drinks were the worst! I have never found one I could stomach. However, I did find a protein powder that is wonderful -- it's Unjury. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, and unflavored. You put one scoop in a blender with 8 oz of milk (I also add a little Splenda), blend it for 30 seconds or so, and it's wonderful. I put in 1.5 scoops with the 8 oz because I want to get as much protein as I can all at once. Even though these are good I still only want to drink two a day. Anyhow, just one of those shakes made with milk (I use the low carb kind) is worth 235 calories and 42 grams of protein! And honestly, it tastes great. I don't know if anyone locally to you sells it, but you can go to Unjury.com and order it from them. In fact, you can order small samples so you can try it -- now how can you beat that deal? Ever since I've been doing this I've been losing weight, even on the days when I can't eat anything. I also go to Fitday.com every day and enter everything I've eaten or had to drink so I can make sure I hit the calories and protein that I need. Good luck. BTW I have found that I can usually eat ground chuck, cooked up like you do for spaghetti sauce. I can add a little spaghetti sauce to it or put it on a taco with cheese and get it down. Also, try cantalope -- and watermelon. Good luck. BTW, as soon as I started doing these things I began losing weight again right away. Oh, oh, one more thing I just remembered that's a great tip -- WALKING WALKING WALKING -- I read an article that said WLS patients benefit more from exercising in the ratio of amount of exercise compared to calories burned in the first 6 months after surgery than they ever will again in their life! Take advantage of that bonus. Take care. And good luck to all of us! Jamie
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views