April 1st surgery date??

Kelly W.
on 6/8/04 11:34 am - Lafayette, LA
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone had surgery on or right around April 1st.. how much weight have you lost?? I started at 320 lbs and have only lost 40 lbs. While I am happy, I cannot help feel a bit upset when I see others that have lost 40 lbs in one month! and these are people that are around my start weight. It seems like everyone I see has lost more weight that me. I don't exercise much and I know that would help boost weight loss. ... but exercising aside...... I am eating hardly nothing compared to how much food I used to put away. I am just confused at why weight isn't literally dropping off me. Maybe I have unreal expectations...... maybe I am doing great and don't realize? any insight would be helpful!!!!!! Thanks! Kelly
livistarr
on 6/8/04 12:44 pm - Warren, OH
I am 7 weeks out and have lost 37 pounds to date. This is the way I think about it that makes me feel a little better. That is the equivalent of me carrying around 7 gallons and one quart of milk. You're doing great! Enjoy the fact that you've lost 40 pounds that you wouldn't have otherwise! Best of luck... Olivia
frea2bea
on 6/8/04 1:39 pm - COlorado Springs, CO
Hard to say what makes us loose faster than another. Especially in htese early stages. Those that do the best in my support group drink all their water all the time, eat all their protien most of the time, and have made a commitment to themselves to exercize! What does your sugeon say? It's unfair to yourself to compare yourself to anyone else. Do the best you can, and take what you can get. Keep up the good work... 40lbs is alot to not have to carry around anymore.
bky962
on 6/8/04 2:09 pm - Visalia, CA
MY SURGERY WAS APRIL 5TH AND I HAVE LOST ONLY 30 LBS AND I KEEP GOING UP AND DOWN A LB OR 2. MY CALORIE INTAKE IS LOW AND I TRY N EXCERCISE AS MUCH AS I CAN. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL WHEN PEOPLE KEEP PASSING YOU UP. BUT WE WILL HAVE OUR DAY. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED.
cherub32169
on 6/8/04 9:49 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi Kelly, I'm an "April Fool" too! I've lost 54 lbs. Now today the scale says that I've only lost 49. I guess it's the beauty of fluid. Are you actually eating enough? I understand that if you don't eat enough, your body goes into a starvation mode and holds onto every little calorie. And yeah, the exercise does help. Just remember....you HAD the surgery, it WILL come off (my mantra). -Sandra
Dodie R.
on 6/8/04 11:57 pm - North Little Rock, AR
Hi Kelly!! My surgery was April 5th and so far I have lost 57 lbs. I am still shocked at losing this much this fast, as I did not expect it at all. My surgeon says that everyone is different and we can not expect to lose as much or as little as anyone else. Our bodies need time to heal and some just heal more slowly. It sounds like maybe you should eat more than you are eating.....especially protein. I am still having a hard time with alot of solid foods, so I try to get in at least one protein shake a day. Drinking water for some reason seems to bother my pouch, so I tend to munch on ice all day long. Some days I can eat fresh fruit cut up like cantelope, strawberries and watermelon.........other days it does not agree with me. I know I eat too fast and need to slow down alot. That is the hardest thing for me in all of this........slowing down my eating!! All in all kiddo, you are doing super great........when have you ever lost 40 lbs in such a short period of time? Have you been measuring yourself.....I bet you are losing inches!!! I am not an exercise person, but I have been going to Super Wal-Mart and walking around for an hour or so since it is too hot outside to walk. Give yourself a break.......look in that mirror and see the beautiful YOU!!!! Keep up the great job you are doing and God bless you. Dodie
Larakatya
on 6/9/04 11:44 am - Twin Cities, MN
Hi there, I've lost 52 lbs so far, and I'm an april fool as well who started the post-op part of her journey at 355. What I am doing: 1. Taking my vitamins almost every day - perfection is not quite present, but doing pretty darn good. 2. Taking my actigall 3. Eating protein-forward, minimizing carbs, getting fresh fruit. 4. "Cheating" with sugar free ice cream and candies (this is an honest statement, so it wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention it. Not looking to start WW3 here, but it's part of my journey. About 1 serving a day(meaning a piece of candy or a scoop of ice cream - PS - I don't touch anything with real sugar, BLEAH I dumped like the dickens on a little wedge of pinapple, and I have no interest in testing anything more refined than that!) 5. Begun to take up exercise at least 2 days a week - my exercise is a 14-16 mile bike ride. 6. Walk every day - I take the stairs rather than elevator, hike up escalators, and get up for a 10 minute walk at least 2 times a day. 7. Drink my 64 oz of water nearly every day - again not perfect, but most days it all gets in. I like to use Milk (is a protein powerhouse, and good fluid) and Crystal Lite Slushies (made in my smoothie maker) to help ensure this happens. 8. Stay off scale when I start obsessing. This helps mood more than anything. I was going through a bit of a plateau when I hit a set point - I made it down to a weight I held for about 2 years, and SKREEEEEETCHHH! My weight loss to a big pause for about 2 weeks. Was difficult to not become very whiney about it and/or quite scared. So off the scale I went, and stopped weighing until I could approach it with the "I love myself just as I am" mindset that I feel is healthy. 9. Go to support group every week. This is again most for the mind, as these wonderful people remind me of how far I have come (nothing like hanging out with pre-ops to make you APPRECIATE where we are in the journey. Man. . .you couldn't pay me to go back!) Also, the guidence of those who have been out for multiple years is inspiring, and sometimes cautionary (last week we had a woman come who was "enjoying" a bounce as a result of bad behaviors. . .good to see, good reminder of the habits I need You're doing great!!!! Keep the faith! ~Lara
ElvisGreaserGirl
on 6/10/04 8:34 am - Los Angeles, CA
Im April 6th. 45 pounds so far. I was on a plataue for awhile.. and the weight loss has really slowed down now.. but I was also considered a "lightweight" at 215...
Lois N.
on 6/11/04 12:30 am - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I had surgery on April 1st and have lost 66 pounds so far. The differnece between you and I is amounts of food and exercise. I make sure and eat exactly what the doc ordered as I understand it if you don't get enough food this will slow down the weight loss. The exercise is very key as well not only for weight loss now but for setting good habits for when you reach your goal. Just keep in mind that everybody loses at different rates so just follow what your doctor recommends and keep on trucking and you will be fine. Lois
Jaime_C
on 6/11/04 6:48 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Kelly, I am an April fool who has also only lost 41 lbs. BUT, I was completely sedentary before surgery, and I work out 5-7 days a week now; muscle weighs more than fat. I started at 237, now I am 196. I DID measure myself today, and even though I only have pre-op measurements for my hips, waist, and bust, I've lost EIGHT inches off my hips, SIX off my waist, and FOUR off my bust. I was on a major stall a few weeks ago in terms of weight loss - a two week long plateau. It was a time when I was throwing up two or three times a day. (Princess Pouch doesn't like meat.) I started eating beans, cheese and protein drinks and the weight started coming off again. Good luck! My surgeon says I'm doing great, so you must be, too! Jaime
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views