What r u guys eating?

Eternity
on 6/6/04 11:53 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Hi, it's me again. Ok almost 9 wks post op and I feel like I could eat all day long sometimes. I was just wondering what everyone is eating. Oh yeah i don't dump off any foods. kind of wish i did, everything goes down. I tried frozen yogurt the other night and it went down ok to. that was my first experience with sugar and i was hoping to have some kind of reaction. I swear, sometimes it feels like they didn't do anything to my belly. lol My weight is still holding still and this is going on the 3rd wk. I really need some words of encouragement. Is there anyone else out there experiencing this?
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/04 1:28 am - South of Boston, MA
Hey Eternity! I just this week broke my 2-3 week plateau- it was hellish! I had RNY on 4/5, two days before you so I'm 9 weeks out today. I eat basically the same every day, though it depends on whether I'm at home or out. Typical day: BF- 12 oz water mixed into 1 packet chocolate Isopure 1 tsp. Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa powder 4 ice cubes (this takes me forever to drink, but at least it stops me from snacking until lunch) Lunch- Boars' Head Ovengold Roast Turkey Breast, cut in tiny bits (2 or more oz.) Feta Cheese (about a tsp. crumbled) Salad Greens Drizzle Salad Dressing (any kind, low sugar) Dinner- Either the same as lunch, or whatever I make for dinner that is appropriate for me too... Examples of dinner lately: -Taco Salad (chicken or ground beef, no tortillas) -Turkey Meatballs (either stroganoff or in pasta sauce) -Roast Turkey Breast with vegetable -Chicken Parmigiana (no pasta) -Roasted Tomato with fresh mozzarella and basil Between meals I have crystal light icea tea, water, or an occasional latte... If I really need a snack, I eat nuts, a few pretzels or Total Protein Cereal, and the rare cracker or regular cereal (which I just mistakenly did with my kids' puffed wheat- PUKE!) I don't eat any pasta, rice, bread or refined sugars (as little as I can). I love my veggies, and I am incorporating them back into my diet now. Sometimes for dinner, if I've eaten enough protein, I have only a vegetable- because I truly do not enjoy eating meat anymore. The other night I had a plate of steamed green beans with salt, pepper and butter, heaven!!! Hope this gives you a little insight! Beth RNY 4/5/04 295/244/130 -51 pounds!
Rachelq
on 6/7/04 3:34 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Eternity...I'm just like you...I can eat anything. I know I would snack all day if I let myself. I'm kind of bummed about it too. What seems to be working for me is an eating schedule. I've written my menu out for the week. Then when I'm not eating, I'm drinking. (of course I'm waiting a 1/2 hr to an hour between meals and fluids so that I don't wash my pouch out.) I try to drink enough to fill my pouch so that my brain gets the message that I'm full. So far it seems to be working. Hope this helps! Rachel PS...someone in my support group asked what a long plateu is...the answer was two months. So they can last a while.
Debbie B.
on 6/7/04 4:12 am - Bethlehem, PA
For Today: B--1/2 cup yogurt 8 raspberries 2 tsp sunflower seeds 1 cup regular coffee with skim milk L--1/2 cup shrimp cut into tiny pieces lightly tossed in ****tail sauce steamed mushrooms/zuchini 4 strawberries D--Monday is known as our family's "Monday Food Night" and go to the local pub. Salad with grilled chicken breast and bleu cheese dressing on the side. (I end up bringing 1/2 of the chicken home for my lunch the next day and my husband will finish my salad.) I do not eat bread, pasta or rice. About two weeks ago I started to have two glasses of dry white wine on a Friday or Saturday. Water is a given--I sip all day long.
Ira T.
on 6/7/04 5:30 am - IL
Oh, guys, I am really jealous. Nothing is going down in my case. I will be 9 weeks out tomorrow. I can use my fingers to count foods that I can eat: cottage cheese (hate it already), mashed potatoes (at least, it gives me some calories), baby food (meat and gravy), blended soups, oatmeal and that is it. My doctor wants me to leave on blended diet at least 3 months (He still thinks that maybe it's a natural healing process, I guess). I am losing weight, no complains there. But I am so tired of all this stuff. I want something solid, something tasty. Some people wrote me that I will probably end up with endoscopy to enlarge the opening from my pouch. Well, hope my doctor will do something about it. I can not take it anymore. What amazing, is how real food losing all the taste when you blend it. Everything is looking and tasting like baby food.
Rachelq
on 6/7/04 5:45 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Ira, I'm so sorry you are still having a tough time. Does your Doctor have everyone on a soft diet for 3 months? Or just you because your having trouble tolerating? I know a girlfriend of mine was having trouble and they put her back on puree to let her stomach heal. They thought it might be swollen from all of the vomitting, but it only took her a week to get back on track. Now that she is working harder on eating slowly, she is doing a lot better. Oh yeah, I also asked again about why we need to let our stomach's get full (which is easier with solids). It sends a message to our brains that we are satiated so we won't need to eat as often. Again, just full...not over full. Make sure your doc gives you a thorough examination to make sure there is not more going on. Good luck to you. Rachel
acanesfan296
on 6/7/04 8:12 am - Boca Raton, FL
I had surgery the same day as you. I feel like I can eat all day sometimes, but I can't really keep too much down that's protein. I had a plateau that lasted over 2 weeks, and during that time I wasn't eating anything! I thought I was going to lose a ton of weight, but it turned out I didn't. My doctor told me that if you don't eat at least 700 calories your body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose weight. That's not fair! Anyhow, I usually have 2 protein shakes per day, one when I first get up and one later in the evening. I got to fitday.com every day and enter everything I eat so that before bedtime I can see if I need more calories, or if I've overeaten, and how much protein, carbs, etc. I've had. Sometimes I have to eat something extra to hit the calorie mark. Sometimes I've splurged so much on Dole No Sugar Added Fruit Bars that I'm over the carb amount but way under the protein amount, so I eat some string cheese. For dinner I have something protein, but as I said I haven't been keeping it down too well. The best thing I've found that I can eat is cooked ground chuck with spaghetti sauce. Or sometimes I put the ground meat into a taco. Right now I'm trying to focus on deleting bad habits, such as eating between meals, and overeating even when it's something that's allowed (Dole bars). I'm down 40 pounds.
Jaime_C
on 6/7/04 10:12 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I usually have a protein smoothie for breakfast. I use syntax nectar cuz it's fruity, and I mix it with a container of low-carb yogurt, and a splash of milk. I also try to mix in benefiber. It doesn't change the taste at all, but helps me with my iron issues. I eat refried beans and shredded cheese at lunchtime on tortilla chips, which I am handling fine. I still eat a lot of soups, too. I just eat out the good stuff and leave most of the broth... unless it's my hubby's home-made chicken soup. Yum. He makes it with stock he makes, and shredded chicken, and finely julienned carrots. No noodles or potatoes. Some celery, I think. And I can handle hamburgers, now. I get a cheeseburger, ditch the bun (you can get them lettuce wrapped, but I prefer not dealing with all the lettuce right now cuz I can't eat that yet! LOL. I can eat between 1/3 and 2/3 depending on how hungry I am. Dinner I follow these directions someone posted on the board when I was a newbie: choke down 2 oz of whatever protein the family is having, and have a bite or two of the veg. and side dish. That pretty much does it for me. Jaime
livistarr
on 6/7/04 11:09 am - Warren, OH
I have a hard time eating enough...not that I'm not hungry, but I just don't have time often! Like the last 4 days, I've been working 3-11pm in a busy ER (I'm on "light duty" as the triage nurse). All I was able to eat from 2 pm until 8 pm was a protein bar and drink water. I have to find a better way... However, usually I eat an egg for breakfast, then a protein supplement of some sort a few hours later. For lunch it is usually some lunch meat, cheese and a few crackers. I eat a protein supplement a few hours after that. Then for dinner I am pretty liberal...whatever I make for my family pretty much. Fish (not fried), meatloaf, meatballs, beef stroganoff, baked turkey. My snacking device is "goldfish"...probably isn't great for me, but I could do alot worse. I haven't had the cojones to try any kind of sugar or sugar like product! Also, haven't tried chicken after one horrible experience. I also eat alot of cottage cheese with fruit. I am able to keep about 60 grams of protein so far...I haven't gotten on the scale in over a week, though. I hate that thing! I lost 35 pounds at last count (324 to 289). It really helps to see what others eat...keep on posting it! Olivia
Maureen C.
on 6/7/04 12:41 pm - MO
I'm 6 weeks out today and have lost 35 lbs. Some days food goes down better than others. I do like and tolerate spicy foods well. Chinese hot and sour soup is heaven. here's today's menu: Breakfast: oatmeal raisin protein bar by Zanzibar. I got this at Walmart. It tastes just like a big iced oatmeal cookie. 15 gms protein 170 cal. lunch: 1/4 cup creamed spinach, and 3 oz grilled chicken with caribean jerk marinade( 21 gms pro.). dinner: went out tonight! ate a few spoons of french onion soup and ordered chicken/veal canelloni. ate 3/4 of one. Husband ate the rest. I will eat a protein snack later- probably barbeque pork rinds.( 9 = 7 gms protein or maybe 1/4 cup almonds ( 7 gms). I don't tolerate premixed prootein shakes well.I haven't had any for at least 2 weeks. But sometimes I make a chocolate proetein shake: 8 oz skim milk, 1/4 cup nonfat dried milk, 2 TBSP sugar free Hershey's syrup. 1 cup ice. 1 pack splenda. Mix in Blender, but it take s few hrsto finish.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views