Eating Slowly

Rachelq
on 6/6/04 1:51 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
My surgeon says I should be eating a 1/2 of cup of food over an hours time. Now admittedly I am a fast eater. Before surgery I would swallow by the chunk. Now I feel like I'm eating really slowly and I'm chewing really well, but the longest it takes me to eat this much is 20 minutes. Anyone else struggling or has anyone else heard any different about how long it should take to eat? Thanks, Rachel
Diana S.
on 6/6/04 3:03 am - Lawton, OK
The bariatric coordinator for my surgeon said it should take 20 minutes to eat or more. If you're food is chewed real well and you're not experiencing pain, then I think you're fine. One tip I had to learn to eat slowly was to put my fork down between bites. That way I made sure the last bite was in my stomach and I wasn't full before I took the next bite. I am five weeks out and still cannot eat 2 ounces at a meal. I'm not hungry or starving though so I'm not worried about it. Keep in mind it also depends on what you're eating. Softer foods, like lettuce, don't take quite as much chewing as more solid foods like meat. It sounds to me like you are doing fine! Good luck on your journey! Diana
Rachelq
on 6/7/04 3:17 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I didn't realize what a hard habit the fork thing is to break. I'm trying to remember. I also started eating with a baby spoon. I've got to find a way to slow down; I don't want to ruin what I worked so hard for! Thanks for the advice. Rachel
Donna Paige
on 6/6/04 5:38 am - Pottstown, PA
My nutritionist said to eat 1/2 cup of food between 45 minutes and one hour. For the most part it does take me alot longer than it used to. I figure somewhere around 30 minutes its the normal eating time for me before I get tired of eating and just give up.
Rachelq
on 6/7/04 3:19 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I know what you mean. Eating is so boring now. My husband made a beatiful salmon dinner last night. (sunday is our night to eat alone sans kids). but the conversation was pretty slow with all my chewing. Thanks for the advice...looks like I need to keep working on it. Rachel
frea2bea
on 6/6/04 7:00 am - COlorado Springs, CO
I realized that I was eating too fast when on the memorial day weekend camping trip, I was vomiting alot. Now I too, put my spoon down between bites. I met a lady who sets a timer between bites...Now I go really slow, and behold, NO More
Rachelq
on 6/7/04 3:21 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I haven't been sick once. It will probably be more of a problem once I start on a regular diet. I'm weening from puree to solid now. I thought of a timer...perhaps I'll try that. Right now my timer is my three year old. Eating time is over when he needs me.
Maureen C.
on 6/6/04 1:28 pm - MO
I can't imagine taking an hour to eat! You would need to be awake almost all the time to get your fluids in! I ususally take about 20 minutes. After that, my food is cold and makes me feel gross. There is nothing that tastes worse than cold scrambled eggs that you chew until pureed consistency.
Rachelq
on 6/7/04 3:25 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I hear you! I gotta keep trying though...don't want to stretch the old pouch.
MrsTia
on 6/7/04 5:09 am - BALTIMORE, MD
YES I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I CHEW TIL I CAN'T CHEW ANYMORE AND IT STILL TAKES ONLY 20 TO 30 MINUTES. BUT I HAVE NOTICE THAT I AM GETTING FULL EATING LESS WHEN I CHEW LONGER! LESS FOOD MORE WEIGHT OFF.(I HOPE)
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views